Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

FSUIPC Question

My new PC is supposed to arrive this Saturday, and the first thing I am going to do is install MSFS 2020. I have used FSUIPC for years. I have also watched numerous Youtube videos on MS 2020, and several on setting up controls. I notice that every video  I have seen so far, seems to use the controller setup menus in MS 2020,  I am wondering if setting the controls up with FSUIPC has any advantages over the built in controller settings. Most of the posts that I have read on this topic seem to be months old, and I am thinking that  any of the updates so far, may have made controller setups in 2020 almost at the same  level as one would get by setting them up with FSUIPC. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

My new PC is supposed to arrive this Saturday, and the first thing I am going to do is install MSFS 2020. I have used FSUIPC for years. I have also watched numerous Youtube videos on MS 2020, and several on setting up controls. I notice that every video  I have seen so far, seems to use the controller setup menus in MS 2020,  I am wondering if setting the controls up with FSUIPC has any advantages over the built in controller settings. Most of the posts that I have read on this topic seem to be months old, and I am thinking that  any of the updates so far, may have made controller setups in 2020 almost at the same  level as one would get by setting them up with FSUIPC. 

In MSFS you can set up and save different profiles for your controllers, and then select the ones you want when you want. You may want different profiles for different aircraft.  As a long time FSUIPC user I prefer to run all my controllers through FSUIPC7. This provides flexibility, lets me take advantage of functions available in FSUIPC, lets me set up conditional button combinations, and lets me assign buttons that call Lua scripts I use, etc. However, since you can have multiple controller profiles, suggest you try the MSFS default profiles, or profiles you set up just using MSFS, and if they do want you want -- fine. If not, you can set up alternative profiles using FSUIPC7 as needed.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am wondering if setting the controls up with FSUIPC has any advantages over the built in controller settings

I don't know if this still holds true as I have not tried to map buttons, switches using FSUIPC in MSFS2020, but when I WAS doing that in P3D I came across a comment by Pete Dowson asking basically this same question. His comment was right in the directions on how to do it.

I did use FSUIPC to map everything on my yoke (to prove I could do it), but did eventually returned to letting the sim handle the controls, switches, buttons, etc. I just use FSUIPC to calibrate the yoke and oystick.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I prefer FSUIPC because the switching of profiles is automatic. I use a combination. I have the throttle, prop and mixture axes set in MSFS and buttons etc set in FSUIPC along with some LUA scripts etc.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

12 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I prefer FSUIPC because the switching of profiles is automatic.

Could you explain what you mean by this -- thanks.

Al

2 hours ago, ark said:

Could you explain what you mean by this -- thanks.

Al

Well, in MSFS set a profile for a single engine prop and a twin engine jet you must select whichever profile you want to use when you fly. With FSUIPC I set single engine prop and twin jet and whichever aircraft I select, FSUIPC loads the appropriate profile.

When you create a profile in FSUIPC you can make it a/c specific and associate several different a/c with the same profile. So when I select a single engine prop a/c - FSUIPC is there already set up.

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

19 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Well, in MSFS set a profile for a single engine prop and a twin engine jet you must select whichever profile you want to use when you fly. With FSUIPC I set single engine prop and twin jet and whichever aircraft I select, FSUIPC loads the appropriate profile.

When you create a profile in FSUIPC you can make it a/c specific and associate several different a/c with the same profile. So when I select a single engine prop a/c - FSUIPC is there already set up.

Ah, OK, I was focused on MSFS controller profiles and didn't realize you were referring to the aircraft specific profiles in FSUIPC, which I do make good use of.

Thanks,

Al

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

As have different throttle controllers for different types of aircraft; I use FSUIPC to set those up, as FSUIPC automatically saves configurations for each airplane. Ie. when I select a C172, only my TPM is activated as power controller and then only the throttle and mixture axes are active.

When I select a multi engine the same is true for my Saitek

I use MSFS setting for my Saitek  Cessna pedals and Honeycomb yoke, so I have one setting for pitch, yaw and brake axes.

This works for me. I fly Ga exclusively; not sure if this setup would work for the airliners as well.

Robin

Benefits of FSUIPC controls assignments:

- offsets allows controlling stuff for which native controls are not accessible in the sim (e.g. transponder modes) or broken (landing lights on/off),

- for control devices with 2- or multi-position switches (e.g. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke) it eliminates the "10-degree heading bug" bug and other similar bugs (trim, altitude setting).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

My new PC is supposed to arrive this Saturday, and the first thing I am going to do is install MSFS 2020.

Hey Bob...I'm genuinely excited for you!

I'd not worry too much about the details at 1st...just get her installed and get used to it a bit....try some things you thing should work based on many years simming...and if they don't head back here and we'll try to get you flying straight. 😉

I've so far managed to get sorted with controllers and such without the payware version of fsuipc...but may be ready to grab it to finish fine tuning some settings that are not perfect right now, but I manage to not crash aircraft on takeoff (or landing), so just enjoying what I have thus far.

There have been a lot of posts and vids about control config...brush up on them while you wait for your machine and take some notes of what you'd like to accomplish.....it'll take a bit to get comfortable with the new sim, but you will. 😉   

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I haven't purchased the latest FSUIPC yet but once I upgrade I probably will, MSFS has come a long way when it comes to controller setup but it certainly doesn't offer the flexibility that FSUIPIC did, mind you that I'm comparing to that using FSUIPC with P3D but it was very feature rich, I can't think of a single control I couldn't map.  I'm not sure if it will do the same with MSFS though, I'd love to hear from current users as for a lot of features there still isn't any mapping available even within MSFS, particularly when it comes the likes of the A320 and all possible autopilot switches.  Will FSUIPC give me the ability to map swap between managed mode and selected mode even if the mapping doesn't exist in the sim to begin with, I'd love to know.

If it auto swaps profiles though that alone may be worth it, coz sure you can set it all up in MSFS but swapping is a pita, I have a throttle quadrant, joystick, 2 button boxes and custom mappings on my mouse.  Having to swap 5 device settings for every plane is just not going to happen.

7 hours ago, stefaandk said:

I haven't purchased the latest FSUIPC yet but once I upgrade I probably will, MSFS has come a long way when it comes to controller setup but it certainly doesn't offer the flexibility that FSUIPIC did, mind you that I'm comparing to that using FSUIPC with P3D but it was very feature rich, I can't think of a single control I couldn't map.  I'm not sure if it will do the same with MSFS though, I'd love to hear from current users as for a lot of features there still isn't any mapping available even within MSFS, particularly when it comes the likes of the A320 and all possible autopilot switches.  Will FSUIPC give me the ability to map swap between managed mode and selected mode even if the mapping doesn't exist in the sim to begin with, I'd love to know.

If it auto swaps profiles though that alone may be worth it, coz sure you can set it all up in MSFS but swapping is a pita, I have a throttle quadrant, joystick, 2 button boxes and custom mappings on my mouse.  Having to swap 5 device settings for every plane is just not going to happen.

I may be wrong but I think all you should have to do is change the profile you set up for each aircraft before you launch it,  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I may be wrong but I think all you should have to do is change the profile you set up for each aircraft before you launch it,  

If you are referring FSUIPC, you don't have to do anything after configuring the devices. you start MSFS, select the airplane you want, and go fly. FSUIPC will automatically select the device and configuration you set for that particular airplane, or type of airplane depending on how you configured FSUIPC.

Robin

13 minutes ago, Romeo_Tango said:

If you are referring FSUIPC, you don't have to do anything after configuring the devices. you start MSFS, select the airplane you want, and go fly. FSUIPC will automatically select the device and configuration you set for that particular airplane, or type of airplane depending on how you configured FSUIPC.

No I was referring to MSFS,

are there template profiles for single engine prop, twin, airliner etc available for download with FSUIPC?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
          Memory: 16384MB RAM
          WINDOWS10 - DirectX Version: DirectX 12
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Display Memory: 12183 MB; Dedicated Memory: 4018 MB)