Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

Elevator trim logic

Hello,

I don’t know if this is a controller issue, a software assignment issue or a coding issue within MSFS.

With that said, when I use my trim buttons on my controller (thrust master warthog HOTAS....oh and I use the big grey button that is labeled for trim) there is about a half second delay before the trim wheel moves in the airplane within the sim. 

This always results in a feeling of the airplane never being in trim or when I try to do precise trimming by small button presses, nothing actually happens. Therefore, I have to trim longer and at that point, I’m now out of trim...again. 

has anyone noticed this behavior? If you haven’t, go into the tbm or any other airplane with a visible trim wheel and see what happens when you give a very quick trim button press. 

• Upvote 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Short story .... yes. Hoping it will be addressed in future updates.

Long story....OK in the CJ4, for word not allowed in the Mooney and many others.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Long story....OK in the CJ4, for word not allowed in the Mooney and many others.

It’s good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this! Thanks for chiming in!

Matt kubanda

The place for elevator trim is the INCR DECR lever wheel on the Warthog throttle: an axis, not a button. Trim buttons are like twist yaw, sort of a make do solution. Not good. Axis rule!

I have the Desktop Aviator elevator trim panel ( it also includes an axis rudder trim lever that works perfect in MSFS, and 6 switches). I would give up my rudder pedals before I gave up my trim wheel. I barely touch the stick on final, instead control the final flare using the trim wheel and throttle.

Finally after long use, one switch on this DA panel went bad on me. Replacement switch was $2, and an easy 5 minute job to replace, no soldering, the wires attach to terminals with screws. 

The Saitec trim wheel used to be $50 and available everywhere.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Not sure landing with just trim would pass a check flight 😄

The Flight Velocity trim wheel has been recently changed to map to an axis (though if you get an older one 2nd hand it will map to buttons):

https://flightvelocity.com/products/flight-velocity-trim-wheel

I am considering getting one though I believe axis wheels can cause issues when you exit autopilot.

Trim in the sim is a bit buggy. There is a weird trim/elevator coupling that can occur where trim does not move unless elevator is in a certain position, which seems to be avoided by doing a "controls free and correct check" when you first spawn. Also a lot of aircraft are very unstable in trim and will not fly straight and level hands off for more than a few seconds even when trimmed.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Hello,

I don’t know if this is a controller issue, a software assignment issue or a coding issue within MSFS.

With that said, when I use my trim buttons on my controller (thrust master warthog HOTAS....oh and I use the big grey button that is labeled for trim) there is about a half second delay before the trim wheel moves in the airplane within the sim. 

This always results in a feeling of the airplane never being in trim or when I try to do precise trimming by small button presses, nothing actually happens. Therefore, I have to trim longer and at that point, I’m now out of trim...again. 

has anyone noticed this behavior? If you haven’t, go into the tbm or any other airplane with a visible trim wheel and see what happens when you give a very quick trim button press. 

You can fine-tune the movement of the axis with the sensitivity settings.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I use FSUIPC7 conditional button programming to implement dual trim speeds using switches on my Saitek yoke. The up/down rocker switch on the left side of the yoke provides slow (fine) up/down trim, and if while this rocker switch is activated I also activate a regular push button on the back side of the yoke behind the rocker switch, I get fast (coarse) up/down trim. The rocker switch is set up in FSUIPC to 'repeat', so just holding it up or down continually adjusts the trim in the selected direction. It works much like the electric trim switch you find on the yoke in many aircraft.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

The place for elevator trim is the INCR DECR lever wheel on the Warthog throttle: an axis, not a button. Trim buttons are like twist yaw, sort of a make do solution. Not good. Axis rule!

Buttons worked OK in FSX. Worked OK in P3D, too. Not so much now in MSFS2020. Hate it when they reinvent the wheel or try to build a better mousetrap.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Not sure landing with just trim would pass a check flight 😄

+1²

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I bind elevator trim to TMS buttons on my TM Warthog stick (not axis). It works fine for me. IRL I didn't fly many airplanes  with functional electric  trim. Those that had it  weren't super responsive but definitely better than manual! Manual trim wheel is what I use 90% of the time! And it's all about  frantic  spinning LOL So I have no complain with MSFS in this department. However, I do consider honeycomb throttle quadrant and see how that trim wheel bind to axis!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

15 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

The continuous action relies on the button auto-repeat, which includes an initial pause to allow for unambiguous single clicks. If you have FSUIPC you can change this or eliminate it altogether. You can also change the repat rate.

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Buttons worked OK in FSX. Worked OK in P3D, too. Not so much now in MSFS2020. Hate it when they reinvent the wheel or try to build a better mousetrap.

+1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

16 hours ago, Ixoye said:

You can fine-tune the movement of the axis with the sensitivity settings.

I don’t have an axis programmed to my buttons on my controller.

Matt kubanda

7 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I don’t have an axis programmed to my buttons on my controller.

I thought you use the grey Inc - Dec lever axis on the throttle, I use that one for trimming and it works great.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |