Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Track IR, laptop and second monitor

Hello all

I've been using Track IR on a single monitor with my desktop for years.  I am purchasing a laptop (for second home) along with a 4K monitor and would like to put the Track IR on the larger monitor.  Is that an issue or not, and secondly, what settings do I need to adjust?

Thanks in advance

mudhen

• Like 1

I'm using my TrackIR on a 34" 3440x1440 monitor. The sensor is sitting far higher than my head and there's no issues.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I've used my Trackir on both a 55 inch and 50 inch 4K, I just velco it to the bottom of the frame of the 55/50 inch and it's works perfect with the LEDs on my headset.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, Mudhendriver said:

Thanks...So, the actual track device doesn't need to be mounted on the laptop correct?

Mine is underneath,

Some people even put the camera behind them and invert its input in the software  or even off to one side ( I have no idea how "off to one side" would be configured). Any position works provided the reflectors face the camera.

The important thing regardless of where you put the IR camera is it can always see all the reflectors regardless of where you move your head.

I use the older 3 reflector "cap" sensor but attached to my headset as the cap peak always seemed to block one reflector or another, particularly looking up.

With the bottom mounted setup I found I needed to tilt the whole reflector assembly forward to raise the rear sensor a bit and also wear the headset forward a bit on my head to keep the upper rear sensor in view.

The following were done with a bottom mounted trackIR, as  you can see the tracking works fine with a bottom mount.

I do have the sensor relatively close to me, about 50 cm. This generally gives better results (stronger signal I assume)  but limits how far to either side you can move your head.  Sitting the camera further from you avoids the limitations on movement but the tracking can be more finicky if you are too far away.

This one has a glitch at 1:40 that demonstrates what happens if you try and move your head too far away from the sensor with a closer camera.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Thanks Glenn!  Outstanding videos.  Looking forward to flying FS2020 soon.  I purchased an HP G2 Reverb VR headset.  I built a relatively inexpensive home cockpit (PFC throttle quadrant, saitek switch and radio panels, etc )in my permanent residence and use the TrackIR.  However, with the laptop at 2nd home, I want to shoot for total (VR) immersion without building an expensive cockpit setup.  The laptop itself i7-1087 CPU at 5Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM at 3200mhz, 2TB SSD, and an Nvidia RTX 2080 Super GPU at 8GB (VR tuned).

Cheers

mudhen