Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Got a new PC on the way for MS 2020

It has a 500 GB SSD and a 2TB HD. I am planning to pu the OS W 10 on SSD plus MSFS 2020. Ill that be enough room to run the sim?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

13 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

It has a 500 GB SSD and a 2TB HD. I am planning to pu the OS W 10 on SSD plus MSFS 2020. Ill that be enough room to run the sim?  

I think it would work, buy you would have to keep an eye on it over time so you don't fill it up completely.  MSFS will use more the 20 percent of that drive and that's without add-ons ( if you have the premium pkg). Windows 10, another 40 gigs. 

Since this will be your operating system drive, Windows likes to have at least 10 percent of the drive free. 

I would set up your new Windows 10 and move the default documents, pictures, music and download folders to your HDD. There are lots of tutorials on how to do that online. Don't just copy them over.  This way, your SSD drive will not fill up as fast. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

MSFS is under 120GB and W10 Pro runs me about 33GB.

Of course Windows will also put your User folder on the boot drive and my current user folder is at 322GB with Documents, Photos, Music, Videos, etc.

Since the computer I ordered only offers 1 M2 slot I went with 2TB.

You could use the Addon Linker and install your addons onto the 2TB HDD. That way, you'll keep most of your SSD free.

I only have a 1TB SSD, running only MSFS 2020 and it is close to half full now...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

It'll be tight in terms of space it'll use, but it will fit okay.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

???????

47 minutes ago, rickjake said:

MSFS will use more the 20 percent of that drive and that's without add-ons ( if you have the premium pkg).

My boot/Windows 10 drive is c : and my MSFS is on d : with no problems.

44 minutes ago, KenG said:

Of course Windows will also put your User folder on the boot drive and my current user folder is at 322GB with Documents, Photos, Music, Videos, etc.

My boot/Windows 10 drive is c : and I have all of my documents, photos, and music on my d : drive.  No problem.

My c : Windows 10 boot drive is a 256 GB SSD.  My D : drive is a 1 TB SSD.  I even have FSX SE installed on drive D :

image.png.ab58525ed95a9e835b71da6e08feebb2.pngimage.png.b7a3a8ab30f2722a50be6407cd9e846c.png

image.png.a13011478d1c802fda0119134c74d952.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

19 minutes ago, fppilot said:

My boot/Windows 10 drive is c : and I have all of my documents, photos, and music on my d : drive.  No problem.

I never said you CAN'T put files elsewhere, I stated W10 will put your user folder on the boot drive. 

Even if you move your Documents, Music, Downloads, etc some applications will tend to keep trying to put files into the user folder. If someone else builds a profile then their files automatically get saved to the boot drive. 

Also some developers are now installing files to your Documents, eh hem ORBX. If i've done the backflip to create a symbolic link, I am not sure I'd want those files on a dinosaur drive. 

Edited by KenG

I think what I might try is this. I am not into storing music, photos, videos on my PC so that won't be a problem, I stream anything I want to see or hear, so the W10 OS and MS 2020 is most likely going to be the only thing  for the 500 GB SSD. I also am going to limit the cache download to between 20-50 GB. I am thinking about having the Cache load to my D harddrive, as long as it doesn't cause performance issues, which is supposed to be doable.

If I do all this, and still run into major issues, then I will just Move MS2020 to the D drive, which I understand is fairly easy to do.

Anyway, thanks for the input and suggestions. I'll post my results when I get everything going. .  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

???????

My boot/Windows 10 drive is c : and my MSFS is on d : with no problems.

My c : Windows 10 boot drive is a 256 GB SSD.  My D : drive is a 1 TB SSD.  I even have FSX SE installed on drive D :

????? 

Not sure what you are getting at with your question marks.

I said MSFS will use around 20 percent of his drive. The premium version of MSFS is over 90 gigabyte is size. Add a few addons, and it can be even bigger.  My MSFS folder is currently at 111 Gigs in size.  The poster wanted to install MSFS on his 500 Gig SSD.  Last time I checked,  100 Gig  of 500 Gig is 20 percent. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

So you know what space it will need when all the world updates have rolled out over the next 12 months !!

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, KenG said:

Also some developers are now installing files to your Documents, eh hem ORBX.

Can't let that go, Orbx Central adds nothing to the Documents folder. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Can't let that go, Orbx Central adds nothing to the Documents folder. 

You are right, Orbx installs their stuff in a seperate folder in your USER folder. Aerosoft are the guys who dump stuff in your Documents folder.

12 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

So you know what space it will need when all the world updates have rolled out over the next 12 months !!

Some of the content is optional is it not?  I have not installed Japan, for instance.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 1/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, Bobsk8 said:

You will be fine for now. But in another year with updates and added scenery you will want to add an additional SSD. Just ask us and we can help.

Install everything else on the 2TB HD.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

54 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I have an older Jetline desktop that has the same hard drive setup as yours. I had P3D ver. 3.4 on the SSD along with my OS and other files (C drive) and it used up about 3\4 of the available storage space; I was pretty selective regarding what and how many addons I installed in order to maintain enough storage space. My 2TB storage HD crashed so I replaced that with a 1TB Samsung M.2 HD and installed P3D ver. 5 on it. The M.2 storage is not that expensive and if your system is set up for it, you may want to consider going that route and dedicating it to MSFS 2020 on it and keep your other SSD for your OS and personal files. Just a suggestion.