Sign in to follow this  
Guest baksteen33

Rootkit.

Guest RGH

Hi all.I ran rootkit revealer this morning. With 12 entries turning up in HKLMSoftware...Key Contains embedded Nulls(x)All 12 entries were dated 24/11/2006 my Birtday. The day I fitted my new WD Raptor and installed FSX on it. Does anyone know if Microsoft are Hiding key information for FSX.The only two additions since that date are FXS and My Traffic If anyone else has run rootkit adviser since they installed FSX would they let me know please as I have just spent 6 hours trying to find the sorce and the next move is to fomat all my disks.as I could have something in my pc that is causeing me lots of little problems.Best RegardsRex.

You're in luck then (sort of).I just reformatted and reinstalled yesterday and one the first things I did was get FSX back on there (it reactivated just fine, thank you). I ran RootkitRevealer this morning, and it didn't find anything in the registry.So I'm assuming it's not FSX.

Guest RGH

Hi Brian,Thank you.I will now get to work with a complete clean outMerry Christmas.Rex

Guest RGH

Hi again.All back in and a clean PC.I dont know about MyTraffic,It is not going back in on my PC.Thanks againRex

Guest baksteen33

No, it doesn't. The developer is an integer person. ;-) MyTrafficCommunicator contacts an online dadtabase and checks for updates, not more not less. Hope this answers your question, kind regards Jaap

>No, it doesn't. The developer is an integer person. ;-) >As opposed to a decimal person, I presume? hahaha :)I think you meant, "the developer is a person of integrity".RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest baksteen33

Of course, thanks Rhett. Kind regards Jaap

>>No, it doesn't. The developer is an integer person. ;-) >>>>As opposed to a decimal person, I presume? hahaha :)>>I think you meant, "the developer is a person of integrity".>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig>7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster PraetorianI certainly wouldn't imply otherwise. It's just A-B troubleshooting ingrained in my subconscious. He said he installed two things that day, I was only able to test one of them, so I asked about the other one.:D

Guest RGH

HiNo What I said was that I had only installed Two Programs from the date of the rootkit.But FSX was the program I installed on the 24/11/2006.I have no reson to suspect MyTraffic as the cause, which was installed 10 days later.My apologies to Japp if my post gave any impression that it may have been MyTraffic that caused the problem,I realy thought it was the FSX registration was the cause.And sorry to you Rhett,You help someone and get jumped on.Regards Rex

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rex, you'll probably understand there's a limit to everything. Your OP insinuates exactly this and now, all of a sudden, it wasn't meant so? If you give me your banking details or address, I will personally refund you. If you don't mind, minus the 30% simmarket commission. Feel free to send me a PM if you're keen. Just for the record, I've scanned 2(two) systems of 3(three) running MyTraffic. After all, even the most ludicrous calls have to be verified, right? The result, output, outcome or whatever you would want to call it: Exactly 2(two) RootkitRevealer entries in the RootkitRevealer logs. Guess what? http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8882&PN=1In the other thread, you mentioned your intention to sell your downloaded simmarket MTX-copy via Ebay. AFAIK, that's I-L-L-E-G-A-L Please, Rex, don't let your bitterness turn you into a wrongdoer. I'm sure you're a likeable person when the sun is shining. However, we have to demand that you stop mentioning MyTraffic in this context and as a possible cause of your system anomalies. At the same time, we dearly hope you can solve them. Case you do not opt for the a.m. 'personal refund', we'ld be prepared to walk you throught the install process and once your system troubles are sorted any time. Until then and in all kindness, Rex, please give us and maybe yourself a break? Thanks, good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest baksteen33

Hi Brian, of course you're not implying so. If my reply implied this, please excuse. You might not know, Rex is - unfortunately - an unhappy MTX customer (with some fundamental computer problems IMO). We tried very hard to remain friendly after the first series of: "Your software trashed my system, etc, etc!" We took him through numerous posts and at a certain point, we kindly asked him to install step by step. Not acceptable... Then, the simmarket TOU clearly mentions non-refundable, Rex thinks they're joking and asks for a refund... That request refused apparently infuriated him even more... Frankly, we find this rootkit rumour he is deliberately spreading non-acceptable too. It's bordering on slander. :-( Other than that, the MT-Communicator is still a pretty unrefined, basic tool building on DotNet2, not rootkits. :-) We for example certainly need to improve the communicator's abiltiy to communicate with the user as well. I still call it the 'Communimander' for this reason. More a commander than a communicator. :-) A complete MTCom haulover is planned for H1-2007, probably Q2. Maybe Q3, one never knows with software... Most of all, Brian, I'm sorry you were dragged into this deliberate (vicious?) 'move'. The question you raised was of course theoretically justified. Please see my reply to Rex if you care for rootkit technicalities & MyTrafiic. In the aftermaths it's always easy to say: "I should have anticipated better..." Well, my bad and please excuse me for not having intervened earlier. Thanks and kind regards Jaap

Guest RGH

Hi jaapNo the rootkit Was a fact,The post about your program was fact and true,you should not relese an addon were the customer as to start changeing files before he evan has it installed,I admitted to you and here that it was me trying to get your program to work.that messed up my files and the no refund was as you say the last straw.I thought others should know what they will have to do if they buy your program.as you dont mention it in the sales pitch.After saying that I never once said anything against the program or the aftersales service you gave only that you tried to help and it was me that gave up. If the truth upsets you Jaap there is only you can put that right,I am going to keep MyTraffic and hope you improve the instalation.I suggest to you, we let this situation stop right here,and not let it get out of hand as I do not partake in slanging matches.All the best to you and your staff.RegardsRex

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rex, that sounds like a great idea, thanks for your comprehension. I dearly hope you can sort out the troubles with your system ASAP. Once you're up and running FSX again, check into the forums and we'll take you through a step by step. You'll see how simple it is. That said, we do appreciate the feedback about these kind of issues. It stimulates and helps us to find workarounds around common problems. And we might have a partial solution soon? Some ideas are boiling... Apropos automation: There's an automatic installer out there which apparently delivers worse results and necessitates a higher degree of support than the 'manual method'. I would have loved to see the automatic installer division excel above the manual devision's success levels. Unfortunately (and logically), automatically overwriting/replacing is a dangerous thing... All the best to you too, Rex, kind regards Jaap