Sign in to follow this  
Cloudpiercing

Micro stutter virtually gone by getting a new monitor

18 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

I imagine she could make some masterpiece unicorn pictures with that combo.

What are the specs on your new pc arriving soon

It's a I910900K cpu, HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz 32GB RAM, Corsair H100x Liquid CPU Cooler, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F GAMING MB, WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD 2280. ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3070 TWIN EDGE OC GPU. 

It's virtuale impossible to get get hold of any RTX 3080 card so I'll had to go with a 3070 card, though it was'nt what I had in mind 😒

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

3 minutes ago, Cloudpiercing said:

It's a I910900K cpu, HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz 32GB RAM, Corsair H100x Liquid CPU Cooler, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F GAMING MB, WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD 2280. ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3070 TWIN EDGE OC GPU. 

It's virtuale impossible to get get hold of any RTX 3080 card so I'll had to go with a 3070 card, though it was'nt what I had in mind 😒

I ended up with the ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3070 TWIN EDGE OC  as well. Seems an OK card though a bit loud and hits 80C occasionally.   I might actually underclock it.

I particularly like the fact that it is genuine dual slot so fits my sg13 without taking to the case with a dremel and and it does not light up like a XMAS tree when you turn it on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I ended up with the ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3070 TWIN EDGE OC  as well. Seems an OK card though a bit loud and hits 80C occasionally.   I might actually underclock it.

I particularly like the fact that it is genuine dual slot so fits my sg13 without taking to the case with a dremel and and it does not light up like a XMAS tree when you turn it on.

The sound doesn't worry me as much as the temperature. 80C isn't that little on the high side? I choose a Corsair Carbide case so let's hope it will be suffcient enought to hold the temperature down a litte. I'm not to keen on having RGB lights filling the case either.

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

18 minutes ago, Cloudpiercing said:

The sound doesn't worry me as much as the temperature. 80C isn't that little on the high side? I choose a Corsair Carbide case so let's hope it will be suffcient enought to hold the temperature down a litte. I'm not to keen on having RGB lights filling the case either.

It generally sits around low to mid 70's  the 80C was a very hot day and it is in a tiny itx case.

The throttle temp is 93C so 80 is actually quite OK .

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, Brandon01110 said:

@Republic3D  I see you have a 5900x, What did you have before that and how is it working out for you.  The 5900x is the processor i'm looking to upgrade to.

Sorry for the late reply.

I had the R9 3900X previously, and now the R9 5900X. The biggest difference for me was performance in urban or complex areas in the simulator. When you're flying over an ocean or desert, the sim gets capped by the GPU running at around 100%, because the CPU has nothing to do. But when you fly into urban and complex areas, the sim gets held back by the CPU, not the GPU. So when upgrading the CPU, you unlock that extra performance you need in the complex areas. There's a very noticable different for me. In 99% of urban areas I'll get very good framerate and frametime, although there's a few urban areas that cause stutters, but that's a bug that needs to be fixed on Asobo's side of things. Downtown LA being one of them. 

So in short, you'll have better consistancy throughout the simulator, you won't worry about losing much performance over a city or large airport. It will be better og more consistant over all.

I'm super happy with my R9 5900X. It does get a bit warm though, so I would invest in a good cooler.

Just a tip, even though you probably know this; after installing the CPU, go into bios and enable XMP/DOCP which will tune the memory to work in sync with the CPU.  (Edit: Reading your specs I see you already know this, but I'll leave it there for anyone who doesn't know)

Edited by Republic3D
  • Upvote 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

14 hours ago, Republic3D said:

I'm super happy with my R9 5900X. It does get a bit warm though, so I would invest in a good cooler.

What cooler and temps do you get?  are you using stock speeds with natural boosts or are you doing a manual all core OC?  I have a 360mm AIO cooler that seems to do pretty well with my setup.  I dont get higher than 75c on my 4.5 all core oc (though im considering going back to stock to get the faster single core speed bump improvement)

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

What cooler and temps do you get?  are you using stock speeds with natural boosts or are you doing a manual all core OC?  I have a 360mm AIO cooler that seems to do pretty well with my setup.  I dont get higher than 75c on my 4.5 all core oc (though im considering going back to stock to get the faster single core speed bump improvement)

Temps were higher than on my R9 3900x. But the 5000 series is known to run hotter.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 64 GB

Corsair H100x 240 mm AIO front mounted:

Temps on idle 45-50 C
Temps on light load (two browsers open) 50-60 C
Temps on heavy load (MSFS complex scenery) 75-85 C

Boosts to 4950 MHz on individual cores regularly. No overclock other than enabling DOCP/XMP to get the CPU / RAM FCLK to 1:1 on 3600 MHz (1800 MHz Dual). I have overclocked all cores in the past, but I was getting better performance on letting the single cores boost themselves higher. I might try out the PBO2 though. 

But I swapped CPU cooler because the 240 mm H100x was a bit noisy, and the position was choking the fresh air coming into the case. I considered moving it to the top of the case, but I ended up trying out a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax air cooler as well as adding 2 extra fans in front. The reason is I have an RTX 3090 that needs better air flow.

The air cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax 2x140 mm. And 2x additional 140 mm Noctua fans mounted in the front of the case, with resistance cables making them spin slower and more quiet.

Temps are the same as with the H100x 240 mm. But there's one big difference, the H100x would let the CPU boost over a longer period of time due to the nature of liquid cooling, it takes a while to warm up the whole loop. The Noctua NH-D15 Chromax will also boost, but only for shorter periods of time before it gets up to 85C. On the upside, it also cools down faster afterwards.

So your 360 mm AIO should do really great. It will let your chip boost more consistantly and for longer periods than what mine does currently on air. In the future I will be installing a 360 mm AIO in the top of my case.

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s