Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Almost one half the world's commercial pilots still are that

Pretty disappointing to see how this discussion evolved. Every job lost is a misery for the affected person and his or her family. It may hit some earlier and harder than others, but the ultimate severity is only felt by the affected individual. In times of crisis, we should not rush to quick judgements about who is entitled to grieve and who is not. And comparing salaries with responsibilities or education level has never helped to achieve a better judgement. Many of the toughest jobs on this planet are not well paid. And when we are at it, don't even think about politicians' remuneration unless you want to ruin your day. All I hope for is that all businesses come back to life soon in order to end this damned misery.

Edited by hjsmuc
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hans

18 hours ago, W2DR said:

And you clearly don't understand the pay scale of restaurant workers. Try being a single mom waiting tables with two kids at home and no health insurance. Somehow I don't think she'd be very sympathetic to the plight of a furloughed airline pilot.

oh I am sorry, there are no single parent airline pilots with mortgages, children or student loans (the list goes on). You seem to combine all airline pilots under one hat (yes there are line captains being well compensated, but what, they dont deserve to be compensated for their hard work?). There are airline pilots working for small airlines under part 135 (yes it exists, I happened to have one kid jump seating on my flight recently, making barely $1500/month as a first officer on a single engine turboprop). I really take offense to your lack of empathy for someone losing their job. My heart goes out to anyone (regardless of their profession) that has been impacted by this terrible pandemic. You have your opinion and I have mine, let's agree to disagree and move on.....

John

• Upvote 2

@W2DR,

I understand frustrations but it is all about opportunities, willingness to sacrifices, choices, geographical location, etc.
Being a single parent it's by an unfortunate situation or a choice.
Working for a low life company that is paying peanuts and no insurance, again it's your choice.
While I was working for a big company and they went on strike the only thing I was able to do (because I had no other "experience" and qualification) I drove a cab or a limousine working on commission and no insurance. MY CHOICE, I didn't go to collect.
Talking about "And you clearly don't understand the pay scale of restaurant workers." I would like to share with you a real situation, a first officer that is working for a commuter "airline" for the first and second year as a pay scale is very close to qualifying for food stamps, they share an apartment and some without insurance, no commission or tips.
Now trying to compare a pay scale of a restaurant worker with a pilot, simply put it is crazy.

As @threegreen mentioned, this business being a pilot is not easy for a very long time before you get up there.
Even after 20 years with an airline to think that you are safe, you can have issues. One nasty example 9/11, some of us end up "first officers", based on seniority at that low pay scale. Start all over again with just seniority.

This Global disaster is another example of how is affecting all of us.

Comparing a restaurant worker with a pilot is a very interesting situation.

Better of try a restaurant worker at Burger King with a 5 Star restaurant, it would be much easier to compare with and have some in common.

Please read @hjsmuc post, it is so good and true, I can't think of anything better than that.
Edited by killthespam
  • Upvote 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

3 hours ago, hjsmuc said:

don't even think about politicians' remuneration unless you want to ruin your day.

NOW THAT ^^ Ladies & Gents, is something I feel we can ALL agree on! 🍻:cool: No discussion warranted... or allowed on AVSIM :biggrin:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

16 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

NOW THAT ^^ Ladies & Gents, is something I feel we can ALL agree on! 🍻:cool: No discussion warranted... or allowed on AVSIM :biggrin:

Are you suggesting that our hard pressed representatives aren't worth the pittance they're paid. Not to mention the miserly expenses they're allowed. Criminal!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Just now, Ron Attwood said:

Criminal!

Yes,  Ron I would call them that too! :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I KNEW you'd say that. Heartless bugger. 😀

EDIT: Just so you know, they don't go down well in this house either. Whatever hue.

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Are you suggesting that our hard pressed representatives aren't worth the pittance they're paid. Not to mention the miserly expenses they're allowed. Criminal!

It is actually their gold-plated pensions that get me... 🙃

ps. that they award to themselves..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

What I'm getting here are vibes that politicians are untrustworthy ne'er-do-wells and you can't believe a word they say. Does that about sum it up?

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Does that about sum it up?

Not for me... I would say that they are a privileged, entitled group that are costing us way too much of our hard earned money, for the little real work they do.

• Upvote 1

Bert

Well, this one just doesn't want to stay on the rails.  Time to move along.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case