Sign in to follow this  
Guest Langeveldt

MUST SEE. Grand Canyon geological survey in FSX.

Guest cbuchner1

Sure, but it's Microsoft's exquisite rendering engine that brings this to life. I just wrote a relatively simple interface to some terrain image servers.

Did you go into Goggle through their normal API services? If so, I see no violation if only personal use is involved. However, if 10,000 simmers started to use this system Google may re-think things. I hope that Microsoft can see the advantages of this system. Google will need compensation for the new servers and bandwidth. So, given that Microsoft can sell many more copies of FS they should be willing to purchase the rights to the system (we then get a newly retired simmer) and deal with Google. Here in the USA some have seen the advertisements for FSX on our cable channels. Envision the "wow factor" if Microsoft spent advert dollars showing this new system. A rational marketing effort could increase sales for both Google and Microsoft thereby eliminating any revenue exchanges.Finally, could this function on a single DuoCore system given that FSX primarily uses only one core? Will a normal 3 to 4mbs cable connection be sufficient? Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest player1

Christian,Fantastic Work!!!Microsoft is in development in direct competition with google with their http://local.live.com/ site. They are using a local company here in Rochester called Pictometry for there data and will be providing a launch of an outstanding new online version that will blow minds

Guest cbuchner1

Yeah, looks like I did "the obvious thing".

Guest BOPrey

Christian,Are you a google earth developer? You know, the one you have to sign up for and sign a bunch of NDAs.

Guest cbuchner1

No I haven't signed any NDAs or developer agreements yet - and I am in the process of implementing a Plan B (other source of images) just in case I stepped on anyone's toes. I do not have any intention of redistributing my project (the software) as I do not mean to cause evil. I just want to open a few eyes and minds to the possibilities.I would certainly consider to accept a limited license for development/R&D use of satellite data and to allow this project continue under some sponsoring or backing of a company.Oh, all the "public" and sanctioned APIs to mapping data are JavaScript based (to my knowledge) and require the applet to run embedded in some web page and to be running in a browser. I could imagine that nevertheless my software could interface with that browser - for legal reasons only. This method would be significantly slower and it would rely on screen captures from a remote-controlled web browser ;)To all the 2 x 6000 eyeballs on my flickr account so far - thank you for watching! I hope all of you still have 2 eyballs or my numbers would be off.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

I found a 2 MBps DSL line to be sufficient. After all it is not just bandwidth that counts, but latency times to the servers are equally important. The tile resolution reduces significantly with distance to the aircraft, keeping the load on the Internet servers quite moderate.I have other significant performance bottlenecks with my approach, partially due to the use of Samba serving out thousands of tiles sequentially (yuck). Here even the 0.5ms latency of Firewire gets significant.But I digress. This techie stuff should really be in the other thread on the Scenery Design forum ;)

Guest wyoming

whereby several sources would be intelligently shared over a network. D/l requests would be handled with priotity to what's immediately relevant. I'm not an expert by a long shot, but p2ps load tons of data in a non-linear manner it seems...

>>>Imagining myself giving a slideshow presentation to the MS>team using Apple's Keynote program on the Mac Mini that I>brought in my carryon luggage...>>>>Little known fact:Security scanners at all Microsoft entry points not only scan for weapons and explosives, but also for Apple software and hardware.Get caught attempting to bring a weapon or explosive in, you go to jail. Get caught with Apple software or hardware, MS security guards are authorized to shoot-to-kill. :-lolRegards,Steve Drahttp://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/S...Dra/banner1.jpgDownload my planes at Avsim here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+View

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

>Did you go into Goggle through their normal API services? If>so, I see no violation if only personal use is involved.>However, if 10,000 simmers started to use this system Google>may re-think things. >That's not what he is doing, which is why he isn't releasing it. He is using access to the source data that was developed in another project, which got what amounted to a "cease and desist" letter from Google. that other project has now gone "dark".Christian's innovation is to use that interface to pull data "on the fly" and serve it to FSX as a replacement for pre-compiled textures. I don't think he has stated this, but I assume he is using the FS9 resample bgls for this, since the textures are separate in FS9, whereas if you use the FSX resample, the textures are compiled into the bgl, using some obscure compression technology. I think this would make it hard to do what Christian has done.scott s..

Guest BOPrey

"Oh, all the "public" and sanctioned APIs to mapping data are JavaScript based (to my knowledge)"This is true."and require the applet to run embedded in some web page and to be running in a browser"This is not exactly true. In the past, I have successful more than a few time down load those java applets and dump their source codes. There might be a way to get a hold of those source code as well. At the every least, you can extract the .class files and document their interface methods. I took a brief peak at virtual earth's sdk, and it might be quite easy to do the same thing. It is that I am very busy working on another FSX related project right. If you need any help, you can PM me.Wai

Guest Len

This is must have development and puts you worlds ahead of the standard methodology of real world flying used my MS. It's just upsetting that we don't have access to this.