Sign in to follow this  
Nurmblitz

Out of the box, how is it?

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

If you still have FSX hanging around the default C172 works with both P3Dv4 and v5. But, that said, I agree that the A2A C182 is the way to go with a payware option.

Yea I have like 80hrs on the C182 and just re-installed it on v5 but what I'm saying is that if you're a total newcomer to P3D not having those is low. FSX, XP, MSFS, even v4 had those.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

20 hours ago, Nurmblitz said:

Upgrading PC any day now to get my hands on MSFS. P3D5 is on list as well to have some continuity for my FSX addons.

How ready is P3D out of the box. Is it only FPS and stability that I will get?

Otherwise is it the same flat desert as FSX was? 

Do I need to invest to global textures, landclass, elevation data etc. 

Honestly? Ok, P3D is based on the original FSX, and I loved it! I loved it so much that I spent over £2000 on it! And it looked stunning. I flew almost exclusively in airliners, because if I wanted to get the total realism required for low level GA flight it would have cost me another £500 at least. You might read this and think, well I'll stick to one aircraft and only tart up a few areas where I would like to fly. You won't! You'll start off like this but soon other aircraft will catch your eye, and, the decent ones cost, a lot! And then of course you'll have to learn to tweak, a lot! And don't even dream of P3D unless you own the fastest PC in the known universe! Oh, and you'll need a GPU with at least 11 Gigabytes of memory! Yes, I loved P3D, and then MSFS came along. But honesty? did want that? Go with MSFS, you will not be sorry and you will save a fortune.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

17 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Honestly? Ok, P3D is based on the original FSX, and I loved it! I loved it so much that I spent over £2000 on it! And it looked stunning. I flew almost exclusively in airliners, because if I wanted to get the total realism required for low level GA flight it would have cost me another £500 at least. You might read this and think, well I'll stick to one aircraft and only tart up a few areas where I would like to fly. You won't! You'll start off like this but soon other aircraft will catch your eye, and, the decent ones cost, a lot! And then of course you'll have to learn to tweak, a lot! And don't even dream of P3D unless you own the fastest PC in the known universe! Oh, and you'll need a GPU with at least 11 Gigabytes of memory! Yes, I loved P3D, and then MSFS came along. But honesty? did want that? Go with MSFS, you will not be sorry and you will save a fortune.

Yup 11 gig videocard for the HDR lighting and tessellation settings P3D v5 is needed. 8gigs or lower tessellation has to be set back to medium and HDR edited to 0 in the prepar3d.cfg file. EA can be kept on though. Most users have to wait till 12-16 gig VC's becomes the norm as cost and availability come.  Also X-plane 11 has the HDR set and it chokes the framerate out of it and so that's back to being dialed to medium and your right back to P3D territory and of course why bother going to it. Overall once the tweaks are done your good.

I've pumped $1000 AUD in aircraft into P3DV5 recently and come away mostly disappointed. Waiting for an A319 for FS2020 then ill jump over to it but for now I'll keep on plugging away at what P3D has to offer.  

Edited by 40track

On 1/29/2021 at 7:34 AM, mpo910 said:

• want A stable and CTD free platform (if correct installed, configured and "maintained") The part between the brackets is very important!....

This is false, even taking into account your caveat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

This is false, even taking into account your caveat.

That might be your opinion yes. Probably based on your experiences incl a few others. 

Lots of P3D users ran into problems BUT most of them could solve them by searching solutions which most of the time had nothing to do with the main P3D build. 

I don't think it's fair to point all the issues to a platform like P3D if the cause was a driver, bad OS install, older OS builds, outdated drivers, missing redist, OC GPU, unstable CPU (causion P3D uses AVX Instructions), incompatible Add-ons, faulty registry changes, used incompatible shader tweaks and addons, etc etc. 

Yes, as you see, and the proof is all over the place, ALL not P3D related. 

P3D itself is solid as a rock. It has some quirks which can lead to issues but mostly with simple workarounds it's done. Simple if you find the right workaround for your issue. That's why we are here.

And P3D HAS DX12 already. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

5 hours ago, mpo910 said:

P3D itself is solid as a rock. It has some quirks which can lead to issues but mostly with simple workarounds it's done.

This may or may not be true (I’m honestly not sure), but I think it’s only fair to note that in this thread not a single person is advising the OP to buy P3D and then run it stock. In fact, everyone has suggested various must-have additions. You see the issue? Maybe it’s only addons that make P3D unstable, but who flies P3D without addons?

(FWIW, I’ve been flying MSFS for 5 months with addons up the wazoo and have had exactly one CTD, in the first week: a bug with BIKF Keflavik that was then fixed. Now that’s what I call a rock-solid sim!)

James

5 minutes ago, honanhal said:

This may or may not be true (I’m honestly not sure), but I think it’s only fair to note that in this thread not a single person is advising the OP to buy P3D and then run it stock. In fact, everyone has suggested various must-have additions. You see the issue? Maybe it’s only addons that make P3D unstable, but who flies P3D without addons?

(FWIW, I’ve been flying MSFS for 5 months with addons up the wazoo and have had exactly one CTD, in the first week: a bug with BIKF Keflavik that was then fixed. Now that’s what I call a rock-solid sim!)

James

It is not about true or false. I did not mean it in that way.

It are my experiences which I shared. I tried to get more attention to the NONE P3D related issues, which are also a lot.

I think it is save to say that with every addon you add to any platform, the chances of getting errors and also ctd´s is growing.

That MSFS has less CTD for you I can imagine. Their SDK is not as big as the P3D SDK. They have not really much plane addons which require lot´s of parts functioning correctly and interacting with the platform. This is probably why MSFS is having less instability, for some users and at the moment.

But if the SDK grows, the data and processes between the platform and addons (multiple) increases, the errors will come also, most likely.

What I would like to say is: That users often blame the main platform for instability. And most likely it is not the platform only, but the combination of the platform with "n" addons AND the OS, Drivers, DLL, tweaks, OC´s, registry tweaks, etc.

Of course sims requires lot´s of investigation and error analyses. That is time intensive. And with hardware which gets also more "sensitive" it will require more maintenance and a up to date system as well.

Good to see you managed to get so less CTD in MSFS. I got far more, unfortunately. But that is not the reason for sticking with P3D. My reason is the Airliners, good performing VR and system depth P3D and it´s addons are offering me.

And P3D without addons is not really enjoyable. Right. But MSFS neither. The surrounding may look way better "out of the box". But I miss to much at the moment.

One big further thing I miss: Saving and reloading a flight and all of it´s related system settings in a plane. What about historical weather?  

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

55 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Good to see you managed to get so less CTD in MSFS. I got far more, unfortunately. But that is not the reason for sticking with P3D. My reason is the Airliners, good performing VR and system depth P3D and it´s addons are offering me.

And P3D without addons is not really enjoyable. Right. But MSFS neither. The surrounding may look way better "out of the box". But I miss to much at the moment.

One big further thing I miss: Saving and reloading a flight and all of it´s related system settings in a plane. What about historical weather?  

Yes, MSFS is not perfect either. That’s true! I will say that the FBW Airbus is already in a quite impressive state as far as airliners go. Already significantly more “study level” than Aerosoft’s Airbus series was even after it matured, and getting more so all the time. (I still have issues with the default navdata, which using Navigraph could probably fix, but I digress). Saving a flight is indeed pretty hit or miss as far as flightplans/panel states go. I do miss historical weather, although the live weather is so good that it stings less than it would otherwise when I just change the time of day. 🙂

James

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

If you mean airports, sorry but I don't agree that MSFS that is not enjoyable without add-ones airports, sure it is nice to have the airports but at least default is okay and not a combo breaker for me, but however it is not only about airports, it is atmosphere, orthos .. etc. The benefit of MSFS at least for me, has given me the chance to fly to new part of the world to explore without too much of add-one preparation. For example yesterday I was flying in Australia, the day before in south africa .. etc. I couldn't do like this in X-Plane or P3D without downloading bunch of orthos (XP) with hours of preparation that made me lazy and I just end up flying in Europe (I have all orthos downloaded for all Europe in my XP). At least in MSFS, I just click hit, fly and explore new areas that I am not familiar with. It is really an experience worth a lot in my opinion. 

Nevertheless, you are right the lack of high fidelity airliners in MSFS is kinda of annoying and yes sometimes I jump back to my XP just because I was missing inibuild 300 or zibo.

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

As somebody with a mature addon catalog to go with P3d and who likes flying airliners in North America, P3d absolutely crushes msfs. Especially considering the hardware I also use that is either not compatible with msfs or very limited. 

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

If you mean airports, sorry but I don't agree that MSFS that is not enjoyable without add-ones airports, sure it is nice to have the airports but at least default is okay and not a combo breaker for me, but however it is not only about airports, it is atmosphere, orthos .. etc. The benefit of MSFS at least for me, has given me the chance to fly to new part of the world to explore without too much of add-one preparation. For example yesterday I was flying in Australia, the day before in south africa .. etc. I couldn't do like this in X-Plane or P3D without downloading bunch of orthos (XP) with hours of preparation that made me lazy and I just end up flying in Europe (I have all orthos downloaded for all Europe in my XP). At least in MSFS, I just click hit, fly and explore new areas that I am not familiar with. It is really an experience worth a lot in my opinion. 

Nevertheless, you are right the lack of high fidelity airliners in MSFS is kinda of annoying and yes sometimes I jump back to my XP just because I was missing inibuild 300 or zibo.

I do not mean airport and nice scenery......but almost everything else I use for simming. 

Read my post as I have written what I miss (Airliners and good performance VR and always working weather with working saving flights and all related things to that)

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Reading all this it seems that both sims are needed, the other for sightseeing and the other for serious aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nurmblitz said:

Reading all this it seems that both sims are needed, the other for sightseeing and the other for serious aircraft. 

That is surely a thing lots of us here do this way. Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png