Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

CTD with Radeon 5700 XT, becoming more frequent

August drivers seeming to be the way to go for sure. Slightly frustrating when I think it was a later driver which added MSFS support.🙄 I'm currently almost 15 hours into a flight in the FBW Airbus, just about to land at Ugolny Airport, near the Bering Strait. Interestingly, my GPU is only at 75-80% usage, rather than the 100% I've been used to.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

6 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

Timeout CTDs here (sometimes, even once on the flight setup selection screen!?!) with my new RX6800 and Intel processor (10900).

I was leery of AMD but couldn’t see investing in a card with 10GB or less (and indeed have used close to 10GB on occasion).

Have not tried this September driver yet as I’m very hazy on how to roll back and forward again with AMD.

Here is a link for the latest September driver: https://www.amd.com/en/search?keyword=20.9.1

and install instructions: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rsx-install

easy download and install.

• Like 2

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Has anyone tried and have a report on the newly released 21.2.1 drivers? I have been away from the sim after constant CTD's on final, drove me away from sim for the last 4 weeks now. Got the Sept. 2020 drivers to try but interested to hear on impressions of the new Feb. drivers. I have a Power Color 5700XT (no extra OC), even tried switching bios to 'silent'.

Edited by Bob_D

2 hours ago, Bob_D said:

Has anyone tried and have a report on the newly released 21.2.1 drivers? I have been away from the sim after constant CTD's on final, drove me away from sim for the last 4 weeks now. Got the Sept. 2020 drivers to try but interested to hear on impressions of the new Feb. drivers. I have a Power Color 5700XT (no extra OC), even tried switching bios to 'silent'.

I am using the latest drivers, after remaining with earlier version that 109Sqd is now using which gave pretty good results, No more Display driver timeout with the latest version, but yesterday had another ctd just after landing mentioned further back in the thread which i had experianced before.

I have been reporting issues, and sending crash reports back to AMD constantly, never hear anything back, other than upsated drivers every few weeks that still seem to be doing nothing to sort the issues.

I have also filed reports via Zendesk... but all you get there is a list of CTD's things to check ( which i have done so many times it's not even worth trying again.)

Edited by Car147

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Hi guys,

I also have been experiencing a lot of CTD with MSFS 2020 recently with my 5700xt... I have been researching the internet quite a bit on this topic and did find one solution which is to change the Tdr delay in your graphics driver settings:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/graphics-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-tdr-fix/td-p/148162

Hopefully this should fix the driver timeout issue. Let me know if this helps! Cheers...

I just received an update from Windows  for Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.1034.6 I wonder is this a hotfix?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

9 hours ago, Car147 said:

I just received an update from Windows  for Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.1034.6 I wonder is this a hotfix?

Go on, try it, I dare you!😊

Seriously though, fingers crossed it is. I'm too 'scared' to try any more updates for a while. I actually had a PC reboot while I was out of the room earlier. I'd had a flight plan loaded but hadn't got round to hitting Start, so I have no idea if it was driver-related (or even MSFS-related). I just got a message that the Radeon Wattman settings had been "restored due to an unexpected failure".🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I did lol, so far so good...

• Like 1

A few days ago I stumbled upon a month-old thread in FS Forums where someone solved their VCRUNTIME-CTDs by switching V-Sync ON and setting a frame rate limit (from FS settings). Thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/recent-ctds-solved-by-locking-fps-in-msfs/348207.

My V-Sync was turned Off, so I put it ON and set the Frame Rate Limit to 60. AMD FreeSync has been enabled the entire time. And so, after that 9 hours of continuous flying without CTDs, whereas the precededing 9 hours had 6 CTDs. It might be a pure coincidence, but fingers crossed.

Do you guys have V-Sync On or Off?

Hi guys,

Before the upgrade to a Nvidia 3080 I also have been experiencing a lot of CTD with 5700xt... The solution for me was just to install the drivers and not the Adrenalin software. 

23 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I actually had a PC reboot while I was out of the room earlier

Just had another forced reboot about 40 minutes before landing after a 15 hour flight.🤬 I had been browsing this forum when it happened so I got no warning. I had to use the restore tabs option as Edge didn't automatically restore them after I restarted it, so I'm guessing it was a pretty abrupt incident. Again, unsure whether it was GPU-related, but everything appeared to have been running smoothly. I really wish MSFS had an on-the-fly save option so you could continue after an issue and have the whole flight logged instead of lost.

Edit: Oddly, looking at the logbook, the flight did save, but at 15:22, after 10 hr 37 minutes, even though the PC (and therefore the flight) crashed at about 19:50. So it seems the sim sometimes does save on the fly.

Edit 2: Also interesting was that the flight 'destination' was logged as co-ordinates rather than "[airport] Vicinity". I suppose I may have been too far from a landing point for it to register, seeing as I was 1500NM NE of my destination of Nagasaki, and therefore in the middle of the Pacific, south of the Bering Sea.

Edited by 109Sqn

Another CTD as I tried to resume the flight from the co-ordinates given in the logbook from the reboot flight. I sometimes find the sim crashing or freezing (and needing forcibly stopped) if I have switched off the monitor before leaving the room for a while with a flight in progress. In the old days, I'd have put that down to a power spike from switching on a CRT monitor, but that shouldn't happen with LCDs. Perhaps the GPU or its driver dislikes a monitor being switched on when under heavy load?

6 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Just had another forced reboot about 40 minutes before landing after a 15 hour flight.🤬 I had been browsing this forum when it happened so I got no warning. I had to use the restore tabs option as Edge didn't automatically restore them after I restarted it, so I'm guessing it was a pretty abrupt incident. Again, unsure whether it was GPU-related, but everything appeared to have been running smoothly. I really wish MSFS had an on-the-fly save option so you could continue after an issue and have the whole flight logged instead of lost.

Edit: Oddly, looking at the logbook, the flight did save, but at 15:22, after 10 hr 37 minutes, even though the PC (and therefore the flight) crashed at about 19:50. So it seems the sim sometimes does save on the fly.

Edit 2: Also interesting was that the flight 'destination' was logged as co-ordinates rather than "[airport] Vicinity". I suppose I may have been too far from a landing point for it to register, seeing as I was 1500NM NE of my destination of Nagasaki, and therefore in the middle of the Pacific, south of the Bering Sea.

Well the game CAN save your in flight position on exit as evidenced by Bush trips which will return you to wherever you were when you last logged out, i suspect it may not work for CTDs though.

Not sure how to reliably do that in normal flight plans though.  it seems a bush trip thing,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Another CTD....if I have switched off the monitor before leaving the room for a while with a flight in progress

Confirm CTDs when leaving the aircraft alone for a while. I assume the CTD happens when the windows power save function kicks in.

• Like 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

12 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Well the game CAN save your in flight position on exit as evidenced by Bush trips...

I wasn't aware of that - still to attempt a bush trip.