Sign in to follow this  
Blackthorn

Live weather after saving and loading again

A few weeks ago, if I saved a flight with live weather the weather would revert to clear skies when I loaded the flight next time - and there was no way to change it back to live because I no longer had the cloud symbol on my tool bar.

I tried saving and loading again today and this time I did seem to have live weather after re-loading - ie it was cloudy, and not clear skies. The weather also seemed to change a bit when I flew to another place. However I'm still not sure whether I really did have live weather. I'm wonder whether I simply saved a "snapshot" of the way the weather was at that time - which explains why it changed from place to place. (I still don't have the cloud symbol on my tool bar after re-loading.) Does anybody know what's supposed to happen to live weather now after saving? Has there been some change to the way it works?

Edited by Blackthorn

Not being able to change weather settings in a loaded flight is infuriating. I only use save/load function for if the sim crashes so I dont have to start my flight from the beginning, but then not being able to resume with the same weather settings, or able to change the weather, renders saving a flight pointless. Ive complained about this numerous times but it remains a major problem. All the great things they've done creating this sim and yet they cant fix the most basic UI issue ever. Can someone make an add on so we can change the weather in a loaded flight??? I'll pay $20.

What were they thinking????

Edited by NightOfDreams

Unreal Weather is great. Toggle back and forth between it and LIVE weather to see which is most accurate and fly on....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

23 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

Not being able to change weather settings in a loaded flight is infuriating. I only use save/load function for if the sim crashes so I dont have to start my flight from the beginning, but then not being able to resume with the same weather settings, or able to change the weather, renders saving a flight pointless. Ive complained about this numerous times but it remains a major problem. All the great things they've done creating this sim and yet they cant fix the most basic UI issue ever. Can someone make an add on so we can change the weather in a loaded flight??? I'll pay $20.

What were they thinking????

Yes - I can't understand why it's not possible to do that. However I'd be perfectly happy if the weather just stayed live, since I always fly in live weather anyway. (It may not always be true to life but I like the randomness and changeability of it.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Unreal Weather is great. Toggle back and forth between it and LIVE weather to see which is most accurate and fly on....

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the option of doing that after saving and re-loading. The cloud symbol in the toolbar has disappeared. (This is a well-known limitation I know.) That in itself doesn't really bother me as long as the weather stays live. It looks as though that may be happening, but I'm not yet 100% sure. I probably need to check with sources of weather data or set up another flight in the same location.

Just now, Blackthorn said:

Unfortunately I don't seem to have the option of doing that after saving and re-loading. The cloud symbol in the toolbar has disappeared. (This is a well-known limitation I know.) That in itself doesn't really bother me as long as the weather stays live. It looks as though that may be happening, but I'm not yet 100% sure. I probably need to check with sources of weather data or set up another flight in the same location.

That's accurate, you can't change any weather settings in a reloaded flight - that includes switching back and forth from Live Weather, Unrealweather, and the predefined weather modes. What stupidity! 

I filed 4 complaints to Zendesk on the problem. All it does is change status to "Solved" when it is absolutely positively not solved.  I don't even get an acknowledgment that it's an issue, being worked on, they can't fix it, etc. 

Filing a bug report with Zendesk is exactly as useful as going outside and screaming up to the sky.  Well, no it's not. At least maybe someone might hear you outside.

SiBaj2i.png

Edited by NightOfDreams

1 minute ago, NightOfDreams said:

I filed 4 complaints to Zendesk on the problem. All it does is change status to "Solved" when it is absolutely positively not solved.  I don't even get an acknowledgment that it's an issue, being worked on, they can't fix it, etc. 

Filing a bug report with Zendesk is exactly as useful as going outside and screaming up to the sky.  At least maybe someone might hear you outside...

SiBaj2i.png

Yeah - it's frustrating and makes absolutely no sense - and you'd think it would be a relatively easy thing to put right. I used to get round the problem by avoiding save and load altogether. I would fly to an airport and start again fresh from the same airport. However with the ultralight that I now fly I'd prefer to have the option of landing in some random field etc at the end of the day. The same would apply with a helicopter or hot air balloon (though we don't have any yet).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackthorn said:

Yeah - it's frustrating and makes absolutely no sense - and you'd think it would be a relatively easy thing to put right. I used to get round the problem by avoiding save and load altogether. I would fly to an airport and start again fresh from the same airport. However with the ultralight that I now fly I'd prefer to have the option of landing in some random field etc at the end of the day. The same would apply with a helicopter or hot air balloon (though we don't have any yet).

For longer IFR flights I found a workaround. It's not perfect but it's literally the only way I can think of getting weather settings back if the sim freezes/crashes.

I create a flight plan on the World Map screen and then save it as a .PLN file before my flight.  Then as I fly, every so often I note when I pass a waypoint and write down the time, fuel amount and altitude.  If the game crashes, I start a brand new flight but reload the same flight plan and set the Departure to the last waypoint I passed.  One thing they did well is enable you to start mid-flight from a waypoint. Now I can change the settings to match where I left off and set the weather back to Live, and it still feels like I completed the flight from start to finish (although still an annoying interruption).

But yeah, saving/reloading is worthless unless you don't care about the weather settings.

Don't think this method will work if you want to restart from random fields, since you can't set those to Departure. I always fly from the last airport I landed at and just start a brand new flight file each time.

Edited by NightOfDreams

11 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

For longer IFR flights I found a workaround. It's not perfect but it's literally the only way I can think of getting weather settings back if the sim freezes/crashes.

Yes - sounds like a good workaround for normal flying. Flying with an ultralight is a bit more informal as you imply - so I don't have a flight plan or anything like that.