Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

SIDs out of Rhodes LGRP - why so convoluted?

It sounds a bit like Mainland China and Taiwan with the weird routings. Incheon and Gimpo airports at Seoul are also so close to North Korean airspace, I bet they have to be a bit careful with their departures and arrivals there as well. I'll admit when I fly into any of these airports, or DCA  for example in my sim, I completely ignore all the airspace restrictions.

I guess transiting through both Greek and Turkish airspace in either direction way up at altitude, perhaps Rome to Dubai flights for example are no problem and maybe very common. Or as mentioned flights originating in Athens, which is far away enough to first establish identification are fine as well. But Rhodes airport on the north side of the island there really does look so close to the Turkish coast.

Some other places that don't seem so strict, SIN departures go right into Malaysia I think with no weird turns. Maybe Tijuana and San Diego area controllers are also pretty good with handoffs without too many weird routings.

I have flown to Rhodes many times, nearly always a Rwy 24 approach and never flown as per Jepp chart. 😄 T'was always a hard right turn to intercept the ILS.

I would have thought a Rwy 24 departure for the UK would be relatively straight forward. 

Edited by edetroit

1 hour ago, edetroit said:

I have flown to Rhodes many times, nearly always a Rwy 24 approach and never flown as per Jepp chart. 😄 T'was always a hard right turn to intercept the ILS.

I would have thought a Rwy 24 departure for the UK would be relatively straight forward. 

Routing back to the UK would probably not use the BANRO 3P SID which is a northerly departure.... eventually.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

44 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Routing back to the UK would probably not use the BANRO 3P SID which is a northerly departure.... eventually.

Well it has been a while since I have been there but I think all that flying over the island is word not allowed. As I said never did on approach and pretty sure on departure. Just t/o Rwy24 and turn right. 😁  

1 minute ago, edetroit said:

As I said never did on approach and pretty sure on departure. Just t/o Rwy24 and turn right. 😁  

That’s my intention for any future departures to the north. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s my intention for any future departures to the north. 👍

If you track a flight out of LGRP on FR24 you will see the aircraft do not follow the charts. The Turkish border is only close for the Rwy 24 arrivals, even then aircraft fly in between the border and runway and turn right (not over the island and left)

9 hours ago, edetroit said:

If you track a flight out of LGRP on FR24 you will see the aircraft do not follow the charts.

As with most departures aircraft only follow the SID until otherwise instructed by ATC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

when i was at easyjet we used KOS (KGKO) as the alternate , and the Vanes sid out of LGRP then the B43 TO  GILOS.

Its alot easier to boat punters over from KOS on the bluestar, then it is to boat them from Marmaris in Turkey if you divert to Dalaman LTBS, plus the Turks would make the punters pay for visas as well as causing issues with the Turkish DCN permits.  In short the you'd have to slip the Turks money.  Thats how they operate down there.

From my time in easy ops, I think I had 3 or 4 AOG's in LTBS, they where nightmares because the handler was always on the take,  so you'd ask the handler to sort you a hotel for the punters/crew and they tried and give you some dodgy hotel because his brother worked on reception and would take a cut on the commission of the 75 rooms you where booking (a nice little earner)  then the coach drivers would want a buck in his back pocket to take them to the hotel.  Once again a dodgy deal done by the handler,  all that sort of stuff.    Sharm  HESH/SSH  (before the metrojet bomb) was awful for that backhander kind of stuff. 

Airline ops, is not as simple as what you may think. The Rhodes/Dalaman issue has been around a long time.  Same as the GIB/AGP/TNG  issues that was in the past an issue but now not any more.

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png