Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

If you don't mind CTDs, this is a nice sim

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Since its release, in all honesty I can count the amount of times it has crashed on my PC, on the fingers of one hand, so in my experience it's certainly no worse than any other flight sim for stability and certainly a lot better than FSX ever was. I don't have any sort of 'don't touch any buttons in the cockpit' policy either, and distance flown appears to have no bearing on matters either, since most of my flights in the sim have been over distances of between 450 to  850 nautical miles.

Of course its annoying if you are not experiencing reliability and stability from the sim, but the fact that some people are does tend to indicate that it is a machine problem, or a settings problem, rather than an issue with the software itself. Personally, I'd try taking the settings down and upping the streaming data capability and see if that has a bearing on stability if I were experiencing crashes, as I should think that would be the most likely culprits.

You would think it is a machine problem, but if you read the numerous posts on the MSFS forum on the Microsoft site , about CTDs, there must be quite a few faulty PC's out there, many of them top of the line rigs. A few people even went out and purchased brand new machines, and wound up with the same problems with the new rig. . 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The USB crash is a big one. When I fly at night I sit in a dark room but am able to use my lighted keyboard...until the backlight mysteriously stops working. Only thing that fixes it is unplugging the keyboard usb connector and plugging it back in...crashes the sim EVERY time I do that, so I don't do that anymore!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

The OP's comments that this is a new PC is a red flag to me in terms of the issues. I think the OP should be concentrating on the PC itself completely independent of FS2020. Whenever I build a new PC it undergoes a very long stress test of everything, including at least 24 hours of AIDA64 non-stop and then at least 24 hours non stop of whatever the latest 3D mark software happens to be. That way I can be reasonably certain any issues I encounter once the simming / gaming software is loaded are most likely issues with the software itself and not the PC hardware and its configuration and drivers.

I am not suggesting FS2020 would then be a walk in the park with no problems, but the OP's experience does not seem to be consistent with the experiences of others. 

The last time I encountered far too many CTD was on a laptop that I obviously bought off the shelf and did not build myself. Turned out one of the RAM sticks was faulty.

Edited by JonP01
  • Upvote 1

I've had about 7 or so CTDs in ~200 hours.

2 were related to the VFR map when that was a known bug in the sim.

1 was likely due to SimConnect bugs in the current version.

So that leaves maybe 5 random ones, in 200 hours, which has included quite a few flights up to 3 hours (and one night I let the Longitude flight overnight over the entire Atlantic with unlimited fuel on)

There are certainly some stability teething issues but if you're not using anything SimConnect related right now, and have everything properly configured, it should be relatively stable. 

What are the specs on the brand new PC?  There have been a few threads with people insisting there was no way it could be a PC problem, but when they slightly back off the GPU speed on a factory OCed 1080 Ti, or reduce the RAM from XMP to non-XMP settings, things start working for them.  The sim moves enormous amounts of data around in system RAM and GPU RAM and across the PCIe bus compared to any typical PC game, and tends to expose any slight instability.

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't know how many hours I have in the sim, because the log book is another thing that doesn't work. I only have two flights in it from the first day. LOL

Your not running in developer mode to get the FPS meter or aircraft selector are you ?

The logbook and crash detection are both disabled in developer mode for obvious reasons.

This is a de ja vue thread from FSX days.

🤯

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 hours ago, JonP01 said:

The OP's comments that this is a new PC is a red flag to me in terms of the issues. I think the OP should be concentrating on the PC itself completely independent of FS2020.

Exactly! But so far we've only learnt that "it's a brand new PC", without any specs at all being indicated ...

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Your not running in developer mode to get the FPS meter or aircraft selector are you ?

The logbook and crash detection are both disabled in developer mode for obvious reasons.

I never understood when people say the log book doesn't work, but I've had all my logs since launch 

4 hours ago, somiller said:

unplugging the keyboard usb connector and plugging it back in...crashes the sim EVERY time I do that, so I don't do that anymore!

I can do that often that I want without CTD when I tick ESC (Pause-Menu) on. And after the plug I tick ESC again and everything is fine.

I had several CTD´s in the past, but they all got to do with bad Freeware (modelLIB-Error).

After I repair all these files I had only one CTD this month causing by metadata (Live Weather)

Stephan from Germany

My System

The majority of lock ups and ctds seem user-generated. I've had a couple of ctds as soon as MSFS was released. Fixed it by repairing my runtime libraries. Other ctds were related to a version of the WT mod, now also fixed. 

Without event viewer info, no trouble shooting is possible. 

Well,

I must confess I have a Crash on MFS...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You would think it is a machine problem, but if you read the numerous posts on the MSFS forum on the Microsoft site , about CTDs, there must be quite a few faulty PC's out there, many of them top of the line rigs. A few people even went out and purchased brand new machines, and wound up with the same problems with the new rig. . 

I'm not saying the machines are faulty, I'm saying there can be settings which cause problems. I'll give you an example. I bought Mount and Blade Bannerlord beta and could not for the life of me get it going for about two weeks. It wouldn't make it past the load screen. Some people were also reporting this and posting all sorts of suggestions, and I was trying all sorts to get past it. It was frustrating but I knew it had to be some setting which was the problem, because people were also reporting enjoying playing, so I kept at it, trying stuff, and eventually I sorted it out. It turned out to be a Windows language option which was the cause, completely unrelated to the sim itself in any logical way. When I changed that, it fired right up.

As far as MSFS CTDs go, I suspect it is some setting which people are using which pushes things a bit too far. Clearly, if the sim runs for a while okay and then craps out, this points to something running out of steam, whether that be overloading the GPU, or the CPU, or the RAM, or the HD/SSD, this is likely to be the culprit. with that in mind, I'd tackle each one of those in turn.

First I'd make sure everything was seated properly on the motherboard; things can heat up when they get used and that can pop stuff loose, and if RAM pops loose, boom your program crashes. Then I'd check it wasn't a HD/SSD filling up from a streaming data issue, then I'd try dropping the visuals and/or audio settings and see if a different GPU or motherboard driver was to blame. If none of that sorted it, I'd look at add-ons which might be causing an issue, if that didn't sort it, I'd look at hardware peripherals which might be causing problems, dodgy connectors, driver problems and so on. something of this nature is almost certainly the cause and it can be annoying to track it down, but it can be done.

It's also worth pointing out that on my PC which appears to have no problems with running MSFS, that it has an 8Gb GPU which seems to handle stuff okay, it has 44Gb of mainboard RAM, so that's definitely enough, MSFS is installed on an SSD so stuff transfers quickly, and I run the sim at 1920x1080, so I'm not overly pushing the visuals. I don't have very many freebies installed in the sim, in fact I have no freebie sceneries or tweaks installed at all, just a few payware aeroplanes and two payware airports. Apart from that, I have some ported-over aeroplanes which I did myself, and if it crashed when I was using those, I'd definitely suspect those although it seems okay with them.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The other thing which is just common-sense is to restart windows (actually select restart NOT shutdown as by default shutdown just hibernates)  after any CTD as the game has not shutdown in anything like an elegant and controlled fashion and who knows what random stuff is still running and what resources are reserved and not released- all sorts of stuff that will mess you up if you just bounce straight back in.

I have not had a single CTD that was not caused by a mod in the community folder (Navigraph being the latest culprit). 0 crashes for me with a clean community folder. This is by far the most stable sim I have used. 

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You would think it is a machine problem, but if you read the numerous posts on the MSFS forum on the Microsoft site

I remember getting quite a lot of CTD using Azure for ATC, It's worth to check it