Sign in to follow this  
Hernan1

Strobe lights, beacon and nav lights

I have been using MSFS 2020 since it came out, however, I never noticed if the strobe lights, beacon or nav lights came on. In the daytime they are not visible at all and barely visible at night. I wonder how difficult it maybe to increse the intensity of these lights. After all they are there for high visibility to avoid collision from other traffic.

Edited by Hernan1

They are not overly visible unless it is overcast.  Though they seem to show up fine from a distance in multiplayer.  Part of the issue I think is Asobo are trying very hard to make the sim look like a movie or camera view rather than realistic. Our eyes in real-life are very sensitive to flashing things.   Ironically people seem to prefer the oversaturated sharpened bright movie like look so they may be on to something from a commercial stand point.  There are lighting mods about for default planes which may make them brighter. For mod aircraft you can tweak it yourself.  Premium/Deluxe planes are a bit trickier.

For what it is worth this is the default Cessna in my setup on a rainy day ...

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

use this mod --> https://uwajimaya.github.io/FS2020/
Remove the mod for the A320 neo if you use the A320 FBW because not compatible. The rest you can keep it.

Edited by guibru
  • Like 1

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

For me it is the strobes that are weak.  Even FSX was better in this regard.  Apparently they have not been fully implemented yet in MSFS - whatever that means.

Uwa's light packs make it better, but mainly on the light beams and light splash on the ground.  When looking directly at the strobes, you still do not get the impression of the intensity of looking at a real one.

Carenado did this particularly well in the older sims (FSX/P3D), but for the standard planes, the strobes are pitiful at the moment.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I try to think of it as a give and take situation. I shouldn’t be looking out the wing and seeing navigation lights and strobes flashing during the middle of the day. This has always been an issue with older sims and unfortunately turning them down is the only way to realistically have them look during the day which I assume is where the majority of simmers spend their time. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

They are not overly visible unless it is overcast.  Though they seem to show up fine from a distance in multiplayer.  Part of the issue I think is Asobo are trying very hard to make the sim look like a movie or camera view rather than realistic. Our eyes in real-life are very sensitive to flashing things.   Ironically people seem to prefer the oversaturated sharpened bright movie like look so they may be on to something from a commercial stand point.  There are lighting mods about for default planes which may make them brighter. For mod aircraft you can tweak it yourself.  Premium/Deluxe planes are a bit trickier.

For what it is worth this is the default Cessna in my setup on a rainy day ...

But what I have to do with the beacon for example thet the Light is brighter an flashes a little bit more?

It also is worth noting that unless you have a HDR monitor there is a limit to how bright the strobes can look on your particular system.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick