Sign in to follow this  
NM5K

Try this experiment ...

leave FSX on a long flight running over night. When I do this and check it in the morning, the aircraft is sitting on the departure airport's active runway. So I assume the sim crashed and restarted.If so, why? When I do this using FS9 the aircraft ends up circling the destination airport. All is ok!Forgot to mention it's set for unlimited fuel.

Guest comma

Huh, what the point of doing that ?! Heard about time compression ?

Guest jlwoodward

The plane itself could have crashed and the sim restarted. It would take only a little bit of trim error and the plane would eventually fly into something.

Assuming you had "crash detection" off. Then it could be memory leak or some memory problem.Have you OCed your machine?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Did you try a replay, to see if it may have recorded what happened? Of course I may be completely off on that. As I think there is a limited amount of time that the sim records.Set the sim to record a crash and analyze. I am not on front of FSX at the moment so I may be wrong on that too. :)What flight plan did you punch in? What altitude where you flying at? Where you using GPS navigation or VOR navigation?I'd love to know what might have happened.EDIT:When you say the sim crashed, do you mean the aircraft crashed, or FSX itself crashed? If the FSX itself crashed would it not be displaying a Error Report window?[hr width=100%" size=1 color="black]http://forefrontgrp.com/MyLogo2.JPGJason | General Aviation Fan

>I'm guessing, from his description of FS9 behavior, that he>had autopilot on in GPS mode with a flight plan.Correct!

>Did you try a replay, to see if it may have recorded what>happened? Of course I may be completely off on that. As I>think there is a limited amount of time that the sim records.>>Set the sim to record a crash and analyze. I am not on front>of FSX at the moment so I may be wrong on that too. :)>>What flight plan did you punch in? What altitude where you>flying at? Where you using GPS navigation or VOR navigation?>>I'd love to know what might have happened.>>EDIT:>When you say the sim crashed, do you mean the aircraft>crashed, or FSX itself crashed? If the FSX itself crashed>would it not be displaying a Error Report window?>>[hr width=100%" size=1 color="black]>http://forefrontgrp.com/MyLogo2.JPG>>Jason |>General Aviation FanI am guessing the simulator crashes. This is why I asked some people to try what I did. The plan doesn't matter. GPS, unlimited fuel, any airports, 20,000 feet. There where no mountains higher in my test.My computer is not overclocked. I will try this again and check the replay; maybe that will show something. I haven't experienced this problem with FS9; hence FSX is suspect.

>The plane itself could have crashed and the sim restarted. It>would take only a little bit of trim error and the plane would>eventually fly into something.I was using auto-pilot.

set crash detection off, then you can see where it is stuck.JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE.."The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"Ulla!

Well, I was fixing to say you ran out of gas, but you say it's "unlimited"...Well, hummmm, I'd say you smackeda mountain or building somewhere along the path. I assume you get to cruise, and set the A/P, and havethe plane stable before you walk off. I've flown "sleeping pilot" flights many times..Most all are real long flights I don't have time to do with me sitting there the whole time. Mine doesn't crash unlessthe plane does. And yes, I have hit mountains while sleeping.:( Usually when flying smaller aircraft over areas I didn't scope out beforehand to note the safety altitude..I know I smacked one going over the rockies one time whiledozing.. I flew the flight again later while awake, and sawthe rocky obstruction during the 2nd flight..MK

>>I am guessing the simulator crashes. This is why I asked some>people to try what I did. The plan doesn't matter. GPS,>unlimited fuel, any airports, 20,000 feet. There where no>mountains higher in my test.Nope, I doubt it.. If the sim itself crashed, you would be at a desktop with no sim running when you woke up..Or.. You would wake up to a frozen sim..That you are waking up to your "restarted flight" tells meyour plane itself crashed. Pretty much no doubt about it.BTW....is this the lear 45 by chance? That plane has a weirdquirk with the autothrottle.. It seems to disconnect veryeasily, and you have to reset it all the time until you getto cruise, and finally know that it's engaged. If it's not hooked up when you get to cruise alt, "even with a litgreen light", the plane will usually go overspeed before toolong. If you have "stress will crash" set to on, this could account for a crash if it went way overspeed, and finally self destructed. I still haven't got any other comments on the lear 45 auto throttle operation in FSX, but I think it's abug myself. It sure acts goofy.. MK