Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

"Live" snow...is it working or not?

If people showing photos could mention the Weather App (Live, Unreal Weather, Rex, whether they have the Bijan "Seasons' Winter mode, etc,) it would really help me to decide which one I should use.

I know  some posters do mention this.

And secondly, is there a poll somewhere that shows best weather app ?  Maybe I will start one (if I know how).

(Just found out how) 😃

Dave Hinson

Edited by DaveH
Added Bijan

5 hours ago, knich said:

Is that Asobo or Rex?

When you see screen images where someone has quoted an earlier post it is best to look back at the original post for that information.  In this case it was clearly there.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I think it works pretty well.

I remember when the really old versions of Flight Simulator (fs4 or maybe ATP) would paint the ground white when you got far enough North (like near Chicago) based solely on the calendar.

11 hours ago, PWJT8D said:

The simulator uses this map from Meteoblue for snowfall depths. However at this time, it will only inject snow into the simulator when the depths are 0.9 ft or 27 centimeters in depth. At least that is the information I have gathered from discussions about this. That is way too much accumulation before being shown in the simulator in my opinion, yes. Hopefully in the future they will fix that.

Where is source of this information, that shows from 27 cm in depth?

brds

The Milford Sound freeware addon does not seem to be triggered by snow depth.  As far as I can tell, it does something like enable the snow textures shown below when you are using live weather and the real time temperature drops below freezing.

50 minutes ago, YouDontKnow said:

I noticed too, that in Milford Sound freeware addon is snowing at all time.

Seems that way with live weather.

With the clear skies pre-set is not snowing though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fppilot said:

When you see screen images where someone has quoted an earlier post it is best to look back at the original post for that information.  In this case it was clearly there.

Now I know why you have so many posts..lol.

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to post images inline?  I'm obviously missing something being unable to do so or locate tutorials. 

On 1/31/2021 at 3:01 PM, PWJT8D said:

.. it will only inject snow into the simulator when the depths are 0.9 ft or 27 centimeters in depth. .

This should be fixed/overworked so its seen at a mutch lower height - IMO.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I have screenshots of KISP from 0800 CST with REX and MSFS weather.  Oddly (given the OP screenshots) the MSFS snowfall and present accumulation was much greater in intensity than the Rex generated.  I suppose it all depends on their source info as well.

1 hour ago, badgenes said:

Can someone direct me to instructions on how to post images inline?  I'm obviously missing something being unable to do so or locate tutorials. 

You need to have an online photo storage account somewhere.  I use Smugmug.  You upload your photos to that account (not Avsim related) and share them from there with a direct web link or with what is called a bbcode.

There is a tutorial topic posted here in the Screenshots forum:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/479802-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot/

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This morning at KISP:

MSFS 2020 Live Weather

rQR4TA9.png

REX 2020

6nGrTj7.png

To me MSFS looks to be more accurate given the situation there this morning.  I know it isn't always though.

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

You need to have an online photo storage account somewhere.  I use Smugmug.

Or use a free image upload service like https://imgbb.com/ to upload your image and then copy the link into your post here. Don’t post excessively though unless you are in the screenshot forum. Smaller sizes/previews should be ok though 

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"