Sign in to follow this  
who4ever

NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW GRAPHICS CARD

Hello and thank you for your time.  I have downloaded and installed FS2020 and it won't run.  Doesn't get past the updates.  Just shuts off, or seems to.  I believe its my graphics card and I am in need of assistance in getting a new one.  Let me start with my specs, I guess.

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop (out of the box)
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz Processor
16.0 GB Memory
460W Dell PSU; 2 free 6 Pin Connectors
AMD Radeon HD 6670 with 1009MB Dedicated Video RAM GDDR5
500GB Standard Hard Drive
1TB SSD Hard Drive (would use this for FS)
1 and 2TB External Hard Drives

I am looking for a card with either 2MB or 4MB VRAM.  The mother board has room for a double width card, probably up to about 10" long. I am concerned about overstressing the PSU and have no plans to get an additional PSU. Money is most definately a factor.  I have no problem with buying a used card through eBay if the vendor is reputable. I have seen the minimum and recommended Graphics Cards, the Radeon RX 570-590 or the GeForce GTX 770-970 (min. and rec.) I am very confused when I do a search for one of the cards-I get a bunch of different names that look similar and pictures that are different.  There must be more affordable cards that my computer can support, right? 

Can you give me a list of a few cards that I might shop for?  Would you know of a web site that I can enter my parameters and it narrows down the cards?  I would really appreciate your time.

Thanks, Dave 

What's your budget?

I'd look minimum for an used GTX 1060 6 GB or RX 580.

If the budget is very tight you could look for a used GTX 1050 Ti or a RX 560. Don't go below 4 GB of VRAM.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Yep. Go for a 1660 super. My MSI was the only upgrade I did to my old rig and it just runs fine with medium to high settings at full HD. Besides some occasional CTD ....

• Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Put a question such as this on a forum and you are likely to get more confusing upgrade recommendations than necessary.

If you really want an honest answer purchase what you can afford not what others are recommending based on very limited knowledge of your usage and equipment.

As an example when I look at your computer specs I consider it quite average. Buying a new Video Card is going to solve little of your problems when it comes to playing this game.

• Like 1

I am pretty happy with my RTX 3080 but my guess would be you'd need a more poweful PSU then.

Disregard. Sorry i just read that 2-4 GB VRAM thing. Please ignore. 😛

Edited by ThomseN_inc

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I have been totally blown away at how capable my rx580-8gb is at 1920x1200

There's a premium on Graphics Cards right now so expect to pay more than normal for what you do find. As already suggested, I wouldn't go any less than a GTX 1660 on the nVidia side or a RX 580 on the Radeon side.

For a website to browse new check:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373,450,438,391

You can change the video card filters to search for what you like.

James

This PSU is probably very cheap and about 10 years old at this point. With AMD recommending at least a 500W PSU for the RX 580, it's just out of the question. The GTX 1060 or GTX 1660/Super/Ti could be just enough, but given the PSU's age, you might be pushing it. Should be noted that this 4C/8T Sandy Bridge CPU will be consuming quite a lot of power since it will be maxed out with a modern GPU.

As already said, don't pick a GPU with less than 4GB VRAM, you will regret it. Look into a used GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1650 or GTX 1650 Super. Buying any of those new is probably going to blow your budget with today's prices.

• Upvote 1

Recommended specks by Microsoft are RX590 for AMD. I found this card in August for 170 euros here and I am more than happy (graphics high, clouds ultra, 1920x1080). And 8gb VRAM. Unfortunately the prices now are triple that. You will find it 500 euros at least, if you find it. For NVIDIA I would say 1660s. In any case you should have at least 6gb VRAM and 32gb RAM. With Aerosoft EDDK, RAM usage climbed at 21gb.

Oh, in case you go with AMD you should have a good PSU (I have a 650w). I have the XFX RX590 and it runs pretty hot.

What resolution is your monitor?  Is the CPU running at stock settings (makes a big different for power consumption & available power left for the GPU?)

The 1050 Ti 4GB seems to be about as fast as a 770, which means it's a the absolute minimum specification for MSFS.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

The 1050 TI was your base level budget Nvidia card for acceptable 1080p gaming for quite a few years though the GTX 1060 (in 3GB and 6Gb) variants was also very popular at the time and well worth the extra money.

A second hand 1050ti would work with MSFS on lower settings and might make an OK temporary stop gap card until you can afford something better. 

If the budget allows though, go for minimum of a second hand 1060 6GB.

According to user benchmark (not a particularly rigorous way of comparing but handy for rough ballpark figures) the 1060 is 80% faster overall and averages 50% faster in games.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3639vs3649

8 hours ago, who4ever said:

Hello and thank you for your time.  I have downloaded and installed FS2020 and it won't run.  Doesn't get past the updates.  Just shuts off, or seems to.  I believe its my graphics card and I am in need of assistance in getting a new one.  Let me start with my specs, I guess.

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop (out of the box)
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz Processor
16.0 GB Memory
460W Dell PSU; 2 free 6 Pin Connectors
AMD Radeon HD 6670 with 1009MB Dedicated Video RAM GDDR5
500GB Standard Hard Drive
1TB SSD Hard Drive (would use this for FS)
1 and 2TB External Hard Drives

I am looking for a card with either 2MB or 4MB VRAM.  The mother board has room for a double width card, probably up to about 10" long. I am concerned about overstressing the PSU and have no plans to get an additional PSU. Money is most definately a factor.  I have no problem with buying a used card through eBay if the vendor is reputable. I have seen the minimum and recommended Graphics Cards, the Radeon RX 570-590 or the GeForce GTX 770-970 (min. and rec.) I am very confused when I do a search for one of the cards-I get a bunch of different names that look similar and pictures that are different.  There must be more affordable cards that my computer can support, right? 

Can you give me a list of a few cards that I might shop for?  Would you know of a web site that I can enter my parameters and it narrows down the cards?  I would really appreciate your time.

Thanks, Dave 

Have the same Dell XPS and went with a EVGA 1060 6GB dual fan, as it is limited by the pathetic 460W PSU and this is/was the most powerful card available with the power constraint, according to both Dell and EVGA. Was about $180ish at the time IIRC. It is acceptable as its only pushing older 27" 1440p monitor Dell monitor.

Buying a new computer, and would suggest you save your $ and put it toward one instead, with better video card, 32GB RAM, and G-sync...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.