Sign in to follow this  
ATP CFII MEI

ATC Needs Complete Overhaul

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

(I know there are separate teams, but still... Very Frustrating!!!)

Then stop saying it.

4 hours ago, MadDog said:

Hey, that's me!  How are you doing Randall?  It's been a while!  Thanks for mentioning Cleared 4 Takeoff

Hey, Marc, I'm doing well!  One of the businesses I'm doing in my semi-retirement is voice-acting or voice-over.  I'm rebuilding some parts of my studio right now, but if you need any more voices in the future I may be able to help.

Good luck with your new version - I used C4TO right up to the end in Fly!

Randall Rocke

5 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

So I guess FSX and P3D are also games? It's the same ATC system, mostly.

I've owned FSX and P3D and don't remember ATC being quite as brain-dead as in MSFS. Both [older] sims could be used quite properly for sim/training purposes IMHO. Gorgeous as the eye-candy in MSFS is, I think trying to use correct procedures is impossible.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

51 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I've owned FSX and P3D and don't remember ATC being quite as brain-dead as in MSFS

So have I. It has always been this bad.

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

So have I. It has always been this bad.

I'll have to take your word for it, as my memory is pretty bad these days (!). Maybe you just tend to forget the bad things with time - and with every new sim/variant your expectations are always that bit greater.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

On 2/4/2021 at 8:26 PM, Tuskin38 said:

It has always been this bad

Not really. ATC in P3D/FSX was nowhere near as bad as what we have now. Just the non standard phraseolgy alone is enough for me  to keep it turned off!

• Like 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

2 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

Not really. ATC in P3D/FSX was nowhere near as bad as what we have now. Just the non standard phraseolgy alone is enough for me  to keep it turned off!

I'm afraid you're so right.  I would pay $50 just to get the old one back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 2/4/2021 at 10:00 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I notice in your longish list of reasons none included not getting you to your destination. Surely that’s the primary reason for investing in a ATC program.

The enunciation of “Mike” for Merican is because that airline didn’t exist back in 2006. Too many years have passed for those to be added and a few of those who recorded voice sets have died.

Taxi instructions were being worked on when JD pulled out and with the source code not available what you have now is all that is available.

Many people remain happy with RC4 despite its shortcomings. The reason there are so few ATC programs available is because the skills required to integrate the mathematics into the program is very complex and only a few have those skills.

Thanks for saying this Ray.  I’ve used RC4.3 for many years and it has provided me with ATC that is simple and for the most part sensible.  True it doesn’t provide many of the advanced features as such support for SIDS and STARs, and ground control is doesn’t exist.  What it does do is provide a rational level of service between departure and destination.  And the chatter files provide some level of immersion as they are recordings of real ATC.     I would certainly take RC4 as alternative to being handed over to Manchester Centre while flying at 500ft in the Welsh Low Flying Area.  As you mention, the program as donated by JD is what it is but I wonder whether his arm could be twisted by Asobo to provide it if the terms were favourable.  

Frankly,  anything is better than what we have at present.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, Adamski_NZ said:

I've owned FSX and P3D and don't remember ATC being quite as brain-dead as in MSFS. Both [older] sims could be used quite properly for sim/training purposes IMHO. Gorgeous as the eye-candy in MSFS is, I think trying to use correct procedures is impossible.

You must have a short memory, 

"  TWA  323   turn to heading 350"

2 minutes later   "TWA 323  turn to heading 290"

1 minute later     " TWA  323    turn to heading 355"

etc...etc..etc....

I use PF3 and have for years both in P3D and now MSFS. Every flight I do is IFR, with Sids and Stars when appropriate. I never have an issue. I almost never fly to the same airport twice, and do an average of about 15 GA flights a week. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

16 minutes ago, sejlane said:

As you mention, the program as donated by JD is what it is but I wonder whether his arm could be twisted by Asobo to provide it if the terms were favourable.  

I haven’t spoken to JD in many years and I believe the source code no longer exists.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 2/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

What you chaps need to do is badger Asobo to complete the SDK. Then John and Pete Dowson can finalise MakeRwys and FSUIPC so Radar Contact v4 can operate as it does now in P3D and FSX.

Yes, it’s not perfect but it gets the important bits right and won’t issue ridiculous instructions.

Radar Contact, a blast from the past. I think I used that  over two decades ago at least.  Back then it was good. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

35 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Back then it was good. 

In my opinion it still is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Radar Contact was the best. Folks tried and did revive it for X-Plane and likely the others and I tried it as such, but it never was really worked well for me in those settings. MSFS2020 ATC seems a hurried feature and in my book for good reasons. Nobody had the time just trying to get the basic sim on board in any form and still won't, maybe ever. I will guess that some day when the SDK is fully out there including ATC functioning, enterprising free and paywares will follow and get us back on tract. 

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

4 hours ago, mikegrr said:

I think the old sim FLY had better atc, as I recall.

Certainly Flight Unlimited didn't. Many times I was vectored into a mountain.

RC is the best for me, despite its tendency to demand impossible (read unreasonable) descent rates at times (e.g. FL 210 to 11000 feet in 30 miles).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.