Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

What is Driving the GPU Market??

18 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Well IF the financial experts are to be believed it will all come crashing down in 12-18months with a world wide recession as bad as 2008.   

In the UK, the minute furlough ends, and if tourism doesn't start up it will mean Rishi will add another 5 million on universal credit then we are going to witness a recession way worse than 2008.  Business need to open. 

Theres 42000 at BA alone. 

Anyways back to topic.   It's a good one this.  Very interesting.  It also shows how relient we are on manufacturing from the far east.

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

9 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

MS sold one million copies of FS the first week or on the market and it has been selling well since. a lot of those buyers are gamers and did not have a PC, hence the demand for them and controllers. I saw something at release time that the electronics industry was expecting a 5 billion dollar increase in sales overall for the year.

Red dead redemption 2 sold 30 million plus copies. 

Gta 5.  Over 120 million 

Just goes to show if you pump it enough it will sell. 

How many copies of PTA did Matt Davies say he sold?    I remember it was an eye watering amount.  And that was just an tiny little addon.

14ppkc-6.png

22 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It boils down to extremely poor decision making at the CEO/Executive level that started many years earlier and finally came to a head ... of course they blame it all on the Pandemic. 

Cheers, Rob.

Tangential to my original post  - I kept the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU in the new set up.

GA aircraft run smoothly now on MSFS 'High' settings, but when I run MSFS  DevMode/Options/Display FPS for a 787-10 at KLAX, the FPS is varying around 28 to 35 FPS, has the red vertical spiking lines, & the message , 'Limited by GPU'

My query is, what factors in a replacement GPU would get rid of that message, [ie, the FPS would be lifted sufficiently in the above 787 scenario that 'Limited by GPU' would not appear]?

For instance, would going to an 8GB GPU be enough?

Anything else?

Thanks

T45

23 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

For instance, would going to an 8GB GPU be enough?

What resolution are you running?

On 2/1/2021 at 4:39 PM, G-RFRY said:

It`s not just the GPU`s that are effected according to the industry all hardware is now being affected by supply shortages, including chips used in the car industry and some may have halt production on some models with high tech interiors. 

I just read this morning that the Ford plant in Hegwish, IL has just laid off nearly their entire 7k workforce due entirely to a prolonged shortage of electronic and other parts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

10 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I just read this morning that the Ford plant in Hegwish, IL has just laid off nearly their entire 7k workforce due entirely to a prolonged shortage of electronic and other parts. 

This could also affect airline manufactures but with the lack of orders at the moment may not be too harmful.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It’s not just electronics. My other hobby is cycling. I just ordered a bike from Europe. What should have been 6-8 weeks is now 7-8 months. Smart trainers have high demand due to pandemic and are another highly sought after item. There are worldwide shortages and I am told mine is arriving in March.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

43 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I've been ordering all kinds of electronic components for one of my hardware projects that I hope to eventually sell and haven't ran into any delay or shortage issues,

Cheers, Rob. 

I work for one of the largest HW manufacturers in the world with what is recognized as the world's best supply chain and we are crippled right now.  Just because you aren't seeing it on your project doesn't mean it's not happening and as others have mentioned it's not just GPU's or exclusive to Nvidia/AMD by any means.  

I'm fine with them not having "adequate stock" or delays in backfilling stock, that's to be expected right now, I'm not fine with the original stock ALL going to scalpers, individual consumers getting screwed, no secured distribution mechanism to prevent what I just described and the release being a wild west shoot out between me with a bb gun and an army of scalpers with machine guns...   To quote Peter Griffin "That what grinds my gears" 

eb9e1cf05ca87bd0511f9d98c8cf2bcf.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

17 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

It’s not just electronics. My other hobby is cycling. I just ordered a bike from Europe. What should have been 6-8 weeks is now 7-8 months. Smart trainers have high demand due to pandemic and are another highly sought after item. There are worldwide shortages and I am told mine is arriving in March.

e-bikes too...  6-8 month backlog!  It's so bad I'm thinking of selling my wife's e-bike for more race equipment people are so willing to pay anything for them right now...   Not selling mine though, that's nonsense 🤣

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, psolk said:

e-bikes too...  6-8 month backlog!  It's so bad I'm thinking of selling my wife's e-bike for more race equipment people are so willing to pay anything for them right now...   Not selling mine though, that's nonsense 🤣

Components as well. I want to upgrade one of my current bikes to a Di2, but Shimano is withholding all group sets for new builds only. Servicing is becoming a bit of a joke as well. I can do basic mechanics but I leave the more complicated stuff to the pros. I have a reservation for Feb 10th that I made January 15. I used to be able to walk in without reservations and tip them with a case of beer, but those days are long gone.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

43 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

But again, Intel aren't having major issues with supply per my earlier link

Intel should have zero credibility when it comes to supply capacity. They couldn't get their act straight before Covid.  Situation in november 2019:

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-apologizes-for-cpu-shortages-which-remain-a-problem-amd-will-be-glad-to-hear

Intel has apologized for the CPU shortages which have plagued would-be buyers of its processors for some time now, in a letter published via its online newsroom.

The letter, written by Michelle Johnston Holthaus, executive VP and GM of Sales, Marketing and Communications at Intel, begins: “I’d like to acknowledge and sincerely apologize for the impact recent PC CPU shipment delays are having on your business and to thank you for your continued partnership.

“I also want to update you on our actions and investments to improve supply-demand balance and support you with performance-leading Intel products. Despite our best efforts, we have not yet resolved this challenge.”

So Intel gets a free pass in a time when Covid was a non factor, but Nvidia and AMD does not when Covid is wreaking havoc in world economy? Not in my opinion. Intel is just like everybody else.

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

The world is so interconnected and interdependent nowadays, and that includes manufacturing.  A manufacturer is dependent on utilities, personnel, suppliers, transport and distribution, etc.  If one of those things falters then the whole operation can go under.

Covid has thrown a wrench into the operation of the world when you think about it.  Almost every aspect of our society has been affected.

We are so fortunate that this disease is not more lethal, like Ebola or Anthrax, because if it were we'd all be living in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic nightmare, and buying video cards would be the last thing on our minds.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

No clue but I'd be interested regardless of the cost if it was named after Linda Lovelace.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.