Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

What is Driving the GPU Market??

Don't forget to add bit miners. With that market going crazy, they are  grabbing every GPU  they can get their hands on .Nvidia, supposedly has admitted to selling pallet loads directly

to them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

One of my favorite comedic quotes from Blackadder goes forth ...

One of my favourite Blackaddder quotes...

"Do you know what Irony is Baldrick?"

"Yes sir, it's like goldy and silvery. "

• Like 3

I really don't understand why we are singling out Nvidia/AMD and picking on an individual CEO in the middle of a Global issue...  

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55936011

How will 'chipageddon' affect you?

There was a hint of the problem last year when gamers struggled to buy new graphics cards, Apple had to stagger the release of its iPhones, and the latest Xbox and PlayStation consoles came nowhere close to meeting demand.

Then, just before Christmas, it emerged the resurgent car industry was facing what one insider called "chipageddon".

New cars often include more than 100 microprocessors - and manufacturers were quite simply unable to source them all.

Since then, one technology company after another has warned they too face constraints.

Samsung is struggling to fulfil orders for the memory chips it makes for its own and others' products.

When Ford is shutting down F-150 lines because they can't get chips it seems we have progressed beyond a GPU issue...  GPU's are one part of a global manufacturing shortage, what does their CEO wanting an Island have to do with anything?  our CEO just did 60M worth of real estate transactions during the pandemic.  It doesn't impact our manufacturing. 

On a tangent, which has more lines of code, the 2021 F150, The Space Shuttle, the F-22 or Boeing 787?     Hint, it's the only one any of us will able be able to afford LOL!!!!   

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I'm too young but I imaging these silicon shortages being similar to various rationings and shortages from industry shifts during WW1 and WW2?

I can't even imagine how Carol Doda would have reacted to a silicon shortage.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, W2DR said:

I can't even imagine how Carol Doda would have reacted to a silicon shortage.

Lol.

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

On 2/1/2021 at 4:58 PM, Treetops45 said:

I recently upgraded the major components in my PC:  - MOBO, CPU & RAM.

I wanted to upgrade the GPU as well, but the one I was looking for was OOS at online suppliers, but available on Ebay, between $800 & $1,000. (Quoted OOS price was $499). $800 is beyond my current budget.

An alternative was available at a Retailer for $825, & a 4 month old review said they had 'picked it up for $200, great GPU etc etc.'

But I am not sure of the veracity of the "$200" price.

My question is, what is driving the shortages & are they likely to get better or worse in the next 6 months??

T45

Everyone is at home this year and sales of all kinds of hobby related items have been out of stock due to huge demand.  It is not a lack of production it is a surge in sales and with amd/xbox/ps5 and nvidia all having new products all about the same time they are at full capacity in making them.  tsmc makes ryzen cpus and amd's gpus, which are also what is in the xbox and ps5's.  nvidia is also using tsmc now too I think, they were using samsung for ampere to begin with I believe.  So when demand is high prices increase on the used market.  Crypto mining will probably start having an impact again too since it is on the rise again.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, Fitz505 said:

Don't forget to add bit miners. With that market going crazy, they are  grabbing every GPU  they can get their hands on .Nvidia, supposedly has admitted to selling pallet loads directly

to them.

nvidia reported 6 percent of total gpu sales were to mining farms last quarter, sure that will increase though.

Whilst not being able to buy a more powerful graphics card is an inconvenience it's nothing compared to your current one ceasing to work and you need a replcement. I've just checked a major UK retailer's site and no Nvidia 10, 20 or 30 series cards are available.

So if you're very unlucky you could find yourself unable to fly for an extended period. Being able to do that during the pandemic is one thing that's kept me sane.

Something has to change but what? 😞

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

What are you looking for Ray? I'll keep my eye open.

If my 1080Ti was to fail I'd probably go for a 2080Ti as it's faster and still has 11Gb VRAM. A 3090Ti with 16Gb would be perfect but no sign of it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Last 2080 Ti I saw was almost as expensive as a 3080. 

Nvidia are reducing the performance of their latest cards by 50% when used to mine Etherium. Lets hope that helps.

I guess its a bit like the tax on mining I suggested earlier, a performance tax.

Edited by martin-w