Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Spitfire!

Just now, DJJose said:

Thanks, Alan & SD, for making me spend more money than I wanted to this month. 😀

Oops. But, that literally made me laugh out loud when I read it. 🙂

Anyway, here's something that won't cost you any money.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

New to this forum, and loving the new FlyingIron Spitfire IX - here are a few screen shots from a flight from RAF Valley and tail chase through Mach Loop:

p2193380636-6.jpg

p2193380642-6.jpg

p2193380634-6.jpg

p2193380637-6.jpg

p2193380647-6.jpg

p2193380696-6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Chock said:

Oops. But, that literally made me laugh out loud when I read it. 🙂

Anyway, here's something that won't cost you any money.

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If anyone's looking for even more screenshots of this thing, I dumped some in a thread in the Screenshots forum.

• Like 1

I’m really close to pulling the trigger (heh) on this. The factual information and stories behind the yellow life jackets etc just whets my appetite. The only things putting me off are that I think I’d struggle to fly it properly, and I can’t work out if it’s just me but the engine sounds are a bit “janky” IE there’s no seamless transition between low and high revs. Or is this how the real thing was?

Edited by Lukemeister

My sim's updating at the moment so I can't listen specifically for that atm, but I don't remember hearing any particular oddness in the sound.    As for being hard to fly...  you need to have a gentle hand and be vigilant with it, and it's a bit difficult to trim out so you'll be hands on on any long trips unless you use the phantom autopilot.   But on the whole I'd say it's a joy to fly.    Just be careful getting it off the ground... 😄

Here you go, I've recorded a quick video of a few engine revs, first from the inside with the canopy open, then closed, then outside from the back, then the front.   The 4k version hasn't finished processing yet, but for this purpose the HD one should be fine.

• Like 2

Great news the Spit runs perfectly after todays update.

If anything the frame rate seems a bit better, it is at least the same.

Also AirManager runs the instruments perfectly. Coast lines in New England seem better as well at least along the Cape shores I was buzzing at 300 mph 100' above the ocean. I am happy there were no seagulls around they hurt a lot at 300 mph. I cut one in half in my Cardinal prop landing once, but that is a different story.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

4 hours ago, Lukemeister said:

The only things putting me off are that I think I’d struggle to fly it properly, and I can’t work out if it’s just me but the engine sounds are a bit “janky” IE there’s no seamless transition between low and high revs.

It's pretty easy to fly - especially once it's in the air. Landing and takeoff require you to take a bit more care but you get the hang of them fairly quickly once you follow some of the procedures.

I'd say it's probably easier to fly than it should be really. You don't seem to have to trim the rudder much at all no matter what speed you're going at. Engine torque doesn't seem to affect anything once you're off the ground. You can being going along at e.g. 2800 and 4lb boost and then jam it immediately up to 18lbs and this doesn't result in the aircraft rolling which normally you would need to counter with the rudder or rudder trim. There's no pre-stall buffet either when the real one had a pretty pronounced one.

The sounds do seem have a bit of a strange transition between the levels but I'm no expert and for the most part I think they're fine.

But overall it's v1.0 so hopefully FlyingIron will continue to enhance the flight model. I still think it's worth purchasing and I'm having fun with it.

You wait hours for a Spitfire, and then two come along at the same time...

158454557_2138976499574045_7580205463267

158290180_2138978142907214_6323003327307

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

You got me all excited about the Aeroplane Heaven on being out!  Looks like they're close though.  Yay!

Coming very soon allegedly.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

21 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

@Dan_FIS One thing you could maybe bring up with Asobo is the addition of a brake axis in the control settings. Right now they have a right brake and left brake axis which allows us to apply a small amount of brake when using e.g. rudder pedal toe brakes. There's no axis as far as I can see for applying both brakes together. If there was this would allow us to better simulate the brakes in the Spitfire e.g. on my stick I have a lever slider which would allow me to apply a small amount of brake if this dual brake axis was available. But right now using this lever results in a push button behaviour where the brakes are either fully applied or not at all. In DCS however I can use this lever on my stick to fine control the brakes as they have an axis for both brakes together.

I think that it should be possible to use both brakes together from one analog input. I have mapped two throttle inputs for one analog input successfully before I did noticed that there an setup option for all throttles. 

6 hours ago, Kassu62 said:

I think that it should be possible to use both brakes together from one analog input. I have mapped two throttle inputs for one analog input successfully before I did noticed that there an setup option for all throttles. 

If nothing else, you should be able to double-bind your desired brake axis to both left brake and right brake in the controls preferences.  It'll warn you, but still let you do it.

Edited by kaosfere