Sign in to follow this  
Balint Szarka

Electronic Flight Plan

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking a lot recently about creating an eFPL using either Adobe's solution of fillable documents, or some other programs to create a template of some kind that could then be applied on a single type of flight plan format to calculate things as: fuel over waypoint based on the entered block fuel, times and such things. However I hit a rock right in the beginning of this great idea. I don't see how on earth I could even create a template that would fit an ever-changing environment where the numbers and waypoints and times and fuel values are all variable and based on that calculate anything. So this is how I ended up writing here on Avsim to see whether there are any people here with great ideas on what program that can be used to create a template that would look for certain things and based on that calculate anything. I think you got my point of what I am trying to achieve.

As I am working as a Cabin Crew I have got my best best friend as an FO and he has shown me many times his electronic flight plan and how things work on it. Obviously I won't be able to achieve such a solution as that's on an iPad and I (while have learned programming back in High School - very basic stuff) won't be able to achieve that kind of automation in calculations.

So if anyone's got any idea, whatever it be like please feel free to comment as I am very curious about it, and obviously I have a huge amount of time to kill these days as I am temporarily laid off for months. 

Thanks

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

Simbrief does already a lot of that.

Peter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

SimBrief is good. For payware there's PFPX and TopCat of course, which I use regularly and can recommend.

https://www.flightsimsoft.com/downloads/

But for an EFB (Electronic Flight Board), which has planning facilities but is mainly something you have connected to your Flight Sim providing feedback and updates as you fly there's FS-FlightControl (more of an Instruction Operating Station but with lots of excellent EFB features), and Aivlasoft's EFBv2:

https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/features/
https://www.aivlasoft.com/

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

25 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

SimBrief is good. For payware there's PFPX and TopCat of course, which I use regularly and can recommend.

https://www.flightsimsoft.com/downloads/

But for an EFB (Electronic Flight Board), which has planning facilities but is mainly something you have connected to your Flight Sim providing feedback and updates as you fly there's FS-FlightControl (more of an Instruction Operating Station but with lots of excellent EFB features), and Aivlasoft's EFBv2:

https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/features/
https://www.aivlasoft.com/

Pete

Thanks for your comment 😉 However I think I was misunderstood. I am looking into options of trying to achieve a paperless electronic flight plan solution where entering the departure time, fuel etc will get automatically calculated. I know such does not exist in flight sim world yet and that’s what I was considering making it either with Adobe or with some other programs, hence I wrote on here to see if anyone is aware of such programs even if it wasn’t intended for flight sim.

Balint Szarka

What Pete proposed above is exactly what you are looking for unless your explanation needs further clarification. Did you try any of the two suggestions before, you don't mention that in your reply? If not we encourage you to look at them because they will give you what you want and both can be tried at no cost! 

Simbrief is free (donations are encouraged). After inputing your departure and arrival airports (+ at least one contingency airport), time of departure, number of pax, cargo and type of aircraft, it will give your electronic flight-plan, your fuel consumption as well as your aircraft ZFW and TOW, duration of the flight, flight level, detailed flight plan and fuel consumption for each reporting point, in addition ETOPS will be calculated if relevant and weather map will be provided. These FP can be imported into a number of add-ons as well as P3D naturally. You can even make a specific setup for your aircraft if you are not happy with hat Simbrief offers. What else is missing? By all means these FP are electronic and can be printed if you wish but you don't need to, so this meets your requirements above.

Aivlasoft is an Electronic Flight Bag into which you can import your Simbrief flight-plan automatically by simply using your Simbrief registration number, you can then change SID or STAR at will according to weather. During your flight at all times you are able to visualise the exact position of your aircraft, check your flight-plan timing compared with the estimate, there are so many functionalities that I won't get into more details, Pete gave you the site address go there and see. EFBv2 can be used on an iPad linked to your swimming PC or on an additional PC if you so desire. In addition, EFBv2 can be tried for free, if this is not what you are looking for, you won't loose anything.

Edited by Jean-Claude

7 minutes ago, Jean-Claude said:

What Pete proposed above is exactly what you are looking for unless your explanation needs further clarification. Did you try any of the two suggestions before, you don't mention that in your reply? If not we encourage you to look at them because they will give you what you want and both can be tried at no cost! 

Simbrief is free (donations are encouraged). After inputing your departure and arrival airports (+ at least one contingency airport), time of departure, number of pax, cargo and type of aircraft, it will give your electronic flight-plan, your fuel consumption as well as your aircraft ZFW and TOW, duration of the flight, flight level, detailed flight plan and fuel consumption for each reporting point, in addition ETOPS will be calculated if relevant and weather map will be provided. These FP can be imported into a number of add-ons as well as P3D naturally. You can even make a specific setup for your aircraft if you are not happy with hat Simbrief offers. What else is missing? By all means these FP are electronic and can be printed if you wish but you don't need to, so this meets your requirements above.

Aivlasoft is an Electronic Flight Bag into which you can import your Simbrief flight-plan automatically by simply using your Simbrief registration number, you can then change SID or STAR at will according to weather. During your flight at all times you are able to visualise the exact position of your aircraft, check your flight-plan timing compared with the estimate, there are so many functionalities that I won't get into more details, Pete gave you the site address go there and see. EFBv2 can be used on an iPad linked to your swimming PC or on an additional PC if you so desire. In addition, EFBv2 can be tried for free, if this is not what you are looking for, you won't loose anything.

Oh yes I have been using the combination of them for years. Initially started with PFPX but unfortunately Aerosoft has kind of abandoned the program... For about two or three years I have been using Simbrief so I am aware of planning software / websites. Aivlasoft is great however it's not my cup of tea. Maybe it is me unable to get my thought / point across the internet. Let me link a picture in here about an iPad application used by airlines out there. Obviously there are many apps and solutions used by various airlines. My airlines isn't using this particular one:electronic-flight-folder-briefing.png

The reason I wrote here is to see whether this can be done on a PC using any sort of program out there I may not be aware of. Just to reiterate I am not looking for planning software but a program in which I could assign that certain lines or text boxes could have some smart functions like adding the Actual Fuel Used inputted by the user together as an example. But of course to try to achieve more than that.

Balint Szarka

Like this solution by Logipad.

electronic-flight-bag-briefing-data.gif

Balint Szarka