Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Some Devs Are Just Out of Touch

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

I am sure I am in a very small minority here but quite frankly I would have rather seen a strategy of not making freeaware airports possible for MSFS.  When a hobbyist can crank out competition for a professional content developer and give it out for free that does not bode well for sustaining professional developers, and quite frankly I'd rather see a very robust pro developer community continue to bloom for MSFS.  As for costs it seems like most airports in the market place are less $$ than what I paid for P3D content.

Your notion is very misguided.  If anything, the freeware market pushes developers to improve thier offerings.  Plus, it expands to the market by making products previously inaccessible to those without the resources to buy them.  Consider the FBW A320, a person who can't afford the FSL A320 may gain interest in the hoppy by flying the former (freeware); consequently, they may become customers of the latter in the future.  A robust freeware community is essential to the eco system! 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Matt King

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

I've been using it since release and as someone who has trained student pilots in that airfield, I'm willing to pay for anything better than freeware, but the price does not reflect reality.  FSDT is an example of reasonably priced airports that are 10 times the size of KCDK at 1/2 the price.

So it's ridiculous for anyone to pay that much!

You underestimate the cost of custom-crafted satellite imagery, not only is the acquisition of such imagery expensive, the process of custom colourization and image correction takes up a huge amount of time.

As far as I'm aware none of the recently released FSDT scenery packages for MSFS feature any such custom-crafted satellite imagery.

• Like 2

In P3D I had over 600 Payware airport. I rarely used freeware cause the quality of freeware was bad in the p3D world.  But I bought those 600+ over a 10-13 year period from the FSX Days.

I cannot afford to repurchase all those 600+ airports all of a sudden, especially when a small airport is over $25-$30 range. I was glad to see the MSFS airports averaging $15, so I do not hesitate to get payware. the freeware for MSFS is right up there with payware quality. so yeah. I think I can reach my goal of 600+ airports via combination of Freeware (Quality ones. I do not install poor quality freeware using default runway textures)  and reasonably priced paywares. I am slowly weening off buying UK pounds and EUR priced airports unless they are one of those Mega Airports.

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Just now, Manny said:

In P3D I had over 600 Payware airports....

OMG Manny!  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

9 minutes ago, PILOT'S said:

You underestimate the cost of custom-crafted satellite imagery, not only is the acquisition of such imagery expensive, the process of custom colourization and image correction takes up a huge amount of time.

As far as I'm aware none of the recently released FSDT scenery packages for MSFS feature any such custom-crafted satellite imagery.

I am curious, why would you pick an airport that requires expensive satellite images? MSFS provides enough geographical area that has those images. I know Aerosoft had to buy those for Lukla which was understandable for P3D since that airport is unique and highly sought after. But MSFS solved that problem for 90% of the world I thought. All you had to do, was to just focus on the airport. 

Edited by Manny

Manny

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

In P3D I had over 600 Payware airport.

On average, 18000.00 of payware airports?..I can't shake my head fast enough.

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

OMG Manny!  

Yeah.. I am like those women who buys way  lot of shoes.. HA HA. an addict. I usually fly them once or twice and I want a new airport. HA HAHA . 🙂

I never took off and landed on the default airport in P3D

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Manny

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

On average, 18000.00 of payware airports?..I can't shake my head fast enough.

IS it that much. Oh Lord! I never checked. 🙂

Manny

I will say this, the Freeware scenery content out there is top notch! Payware devs better bring a product that is a cut above. The hobby creators have really made some awesome stuff. I have ALOT of scenery in my community folder. It is awesome, and a few payware items too that I felt are worth while. I don't mind paying a reasonable price if the product is a cut above. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Noel said:

I am sure I am in a very small minority here but quite frankly I would have rather seen a strategy of not making freeaware airports possible for MSFS.  When a hobbyist can crank out competition for a professional content developer and give it out for free that does not bode well for sustaining professional developers, and quite frankly I'd rather see a very robust pro developer community continue to bloom for MSFS.  As for costs it seems like most airports in the market place are less $$ than what I paid for P3D content.

Yikes..that pretty much goes against everything this hobby is IMO

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

Yeah.. I am like those women who buys way  lot of shoes.. HA HA. an addict. I usually fly them once or twice and I want a new airport. HA HAHA . 🙂

I never took off and landed on the default airport in P3D

That is exactly the reason why I  dont buy payware. I'm not an airline pilot that visits 1 single airport 4 times a week. I sim mostly VFR, because thats what I like.  I see an airport maybe for the last 20 seconds and if there is a BMW or Mercedes parked is only a problem if I forgot the keycard to the gate. 25-30 euros for an airport might be the price a developer has to charge and I hope for them that they sell a lot, I'm not in.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

2 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Yikes

This is like the CEO of Nestle saying, Water should never be free or something to that effect. Not even rain water... Remember that? Tsk Tsk. 🙂

• Like 2

Manny

I had the same thought when I saw this announcement...the MSFS market has largely shifted away from prices like this.  At the end of the day though, if people are willing to pay it, they’ll keep charging it.  If they’re not, the next one will be cheaper.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

the Freeware scenery content out there is top notch! Payware devs better bring a product that is a cut above.

Personally, I am pleased with the vast majority of the freeware airports, I don't really care about the extra details, that you will notice after 50 landings, plus we don't have a replay system yet.

For the cost of 2 payware addons, I can get a really good 1-2 years old game on steam.

But payware plane is different and I don't mind spending, if the quality is very good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

The hobby creators have really made some awesome stuff. I have ALOT of scenery in my community folder..... and a few payware items too that I felt are worth while.

Thank you kindly for making my main point--I rest my case.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X