Sign in to follow this  
Alex Miles

Prepar3d Performance Loss

Hello, I reinstalled P3D the other week and I was averaging about 30fps in the FSLABS on low to medium settings, 40fps in the aerosoft a330 and 40fps in the QW787. For some reason suddenly the performance has dropped and now I am struggling to get 20FPS on the ground in the FSLabs, I barely use dynamic lighting and my settings haven't changed. Any ideas what could've happened? My specs are currently: AMD Ryzen 1600 AF, GT1030, 16GB 2400MHZ RAM, 1TBHDD. I have tried stuff like updating drivers and deleting the shaders file for it to regenerate but nothing has changed it, thanks.

Here is the link to system requirements -- https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Is your GT1030 the 2 Gb version? It looks like your specs don't meet the minimum requirements.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Had a similar issue. Turned out that I had selected 4XSSAA intstead of 4XMSAA in my graphics settings...a simple error when restoring my settings. Regards. 

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

It's the 2GB version and supports directx12 so meets minimum requirements for my V4, have got a GTX1650 super on order but it's taking forever due to COVID. I'll have a go with the CFG cheers

I deleted my P3D CFG and reset some other stuff at the same time and I'm still getting the lower fps, this started to happen just the other day whilst I was messing around with my addons cfgs, any chance this could have anything to do with it?

37 minutes ago, Alex Miles said:

I deleted my P3D CFG and reset some other stuff at the same time and I'm still getting the lower fps, this started to happen just the other day whilst I was messing around with my addons cfgs, any chance this could have anything to do with it?

Remember the old saying, "don't fix what ain't broke"?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

13 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Remember the old saying, "don't fix what ain't broke"?

Yeah I was using the project fly addon editor to add some scenery and project fly crashed messing up my addons.cfg so I thought I fixed it but not well enough

Not sure if this is at all related, this started when it didn’t let me register SODE in the SODE menu when I reinstalled SODE and it still doesn’t, I had to make a custom entry, anyone have any ideas if this could be linked?

Try disabling SODE and see if the performance comes back.  If it does then we will know the culprit.

Alan

Thanks everyone for your help, at the moment my PC is extremely bottlenecked as I have a decent CPU but am still waiting for my GPU to come so at the moment it is fragile and small changes can massively change performance but I've messed around with some settings and managed to get back to 30FPS with the sim still looking decent, thanks.

In the last few times I've installed P3D, I always find overtime as more scenery and aircraft are installed, the performance slowly drops, as I am running it on a HDD, is there any chance this could be fixed by installing on an SSD?

you will  definitely get a performance increase with an ssd but its the loading time that's the big benefit , its time to ditch the HDD my friend, just about all devs / programmers for p3d highly recommend ssd's . 

my drive specs:

500GB nvme for OS W10

2 TB Nmve for p3D v5.1 HF1

x3 500gb SSD's for addon scenery that's not too fussy where it lives 

1TB SDHDD for downloads

this drive set up is not unusual these days 

cheers 

Edited by sonny147

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

7 hours ago, sonny147 said:

you will  definitely get a performance increase with an ssd but its the loading time that's the big benefit , its time to ditch the HDD my friend, just about all devs / programmers for p3d highly recommend ssd's . 

my drive specs:

500GB nvme for OS W10

2 TB Nmve for p3D v5.1 HF1

x3 500gb SSD's for addon scenery that's not too fussy where it lives 

1TB SDHDD for downloads

this drive set up is not unusual these days 

cheers 

Thanks, if I was to get a 500GB ssd, would it be fine keeping all of my addon scenery for now still on the HDD? Like cause I have a lot and don’t want to pay too much for multiple ssds.