Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

MSFS2020 thoughts

I will be on XPlane as my main for another year as MSFS continues to build upon this great platform. I brought a small this strip addon 3U2 just north of Boise this weekend and flew there to "camp" over night. Took off out of KBOI on PilotEdge in the C152 and did old school VFR navigation. No moving maps, no GPS, just a few visual checkpoints and a VOR radial to follow to get me to my 1st visual checkpoint. Pandora music playing in the background as I did the entire flight in VR with my Reverb G2. So enjoyable of a flight with the weather and terrain. Slowly flying into snow covered terrain as I traveled north.

After landing, I left the sim running over night and this morning I returned towards Boise. I wanted to see if I would have a snow covered plane or frost on the windscreen when I got back to the sim this morning. Guessing it didnt snow or rain overnight. Low ceiling but complete VFR on the return and as I climbed I slowly got into the start of the bottom of the overcast layer. Not a hard pop in or out, not a defined layer. It felt like true atmosphere. Ill be back to Xplane on my next flight but so looking forward to when MSFS has the addon options and feature rich working as intended sim it is destined to be. Until then its nice to vacation in the sim and use its strengths of basic stick and rudder VFR in VR to enjoy like no other sim can.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

How is the Working Title CJ4 not a "decent" aircraft? And the sim has been out not even 6 months. 

To each their own.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dbw1 said:

I have been adding scenery almost since the beginning and being in Canada surprisingly there are some really good Canadian scenery producers plus one fellow in Switzerland (SimAddOns) whose MSFS creations are very good. Real world weather is getting much better but still a ways to go. I've been building up my MSFS to be ready when payware aircraft become available that I want. The CRJ will probably be the first more complex type....then I will get a custon livery from IniBuilds for it. Hopefully not too long now.

As to scenery XP11 with orbx TE plus others including some great Cdn devs, XP these days is very good and coupled with excellent aircraft....check out the payware TBM900 with the Garmin 1000....excellent...so many great addon aircraft. I will probably always have XP installed too.

Thats actually smart, im too lazy to do that though😋 Will probably start setting up my MSFS when a good weather engine and a good payware or maybe even freeware b737 gets released 🙂

As a follow up to my earlier postings in the thread, I did finally manage to get airborne in the 747 after playing around a bit with the joystick sensitivity settings. I may be wrong, but I'm sure it's the extra fields (Extremity and Reactivity) that are frustrating the process. These were introduced with little to no notation as to the function or how the values will affect handling.

In other areas it is sad to see there is still so much broken which ought to have been fixed by now. I already mentioned the FMC not saving the flight plan loading a saved game. Now, when I enter a simple two stage plan in flight (departure to destination) and press Execute it is not being recognised as such so cannot use LNAV. In addition the mileage to the destination between the display on the panel and the waypoint marker had a discrepancy of some 600 miles.

I don't want to come across as whingey but this is basic stuff that Asobo should have in the bag by now. It does not really bode well for the future of the product, certainly as a long haul IFR platform, if they can't get the navigation tools right. It is (purely IMHO) that focusing on scenery updates mean they are still pandering to the "Ooh", "Aaah", "There's my house", low and slow userbase rather than the more technical simmer.

20 hours ago, Rob1n said:

I feel like at this stage of MSFS its more like a game and something for people who arent really interested in true airline sim, but for those who  just likes exploring or GA. Th

I would agree that it is not at all suited to the airline sim people and more aimed at GA and VFR -  but that is fine those guys still have P3D and XPlane and eventually MSFS will get there, I suspect in 6 months to a year it will be closer, though it will take more like 2 or 3 years to catch up with P3D.  A lot of airline sim people are "going back to P3D" and that is fair enough P3D has much more to offer them.

Two comments though - 

- the obsession with airline and procedure ops and expensive "study level aircraft" that has arisen in civilian sims over the past 8 or 10 years is what came close to killing off the hobby and making it much more a niche interest with no general appeal.  It is good that Microsoft focussed on GA and VFR and fun and getting the general riff raff back into simming as when it was just the realm of elite airline simmers the hobby was slowly dying a natural, unlamented and well deserved death.

- the "true airline" stuff in older sims does simulate some things well, probably IFR procedures OK, complex aircraft administration reasonably well and ATC  (if you have Vatsim) and the commercial aspects of running an aviation company if you have one of the various virtual economy apps, sure they do all that really well,  BUT  in terms of simulating actual flying, not even close.  In terms of a flight sim as opposed to a procedures sim,  MSFS is the only one that comes close to being a sim rather than a game.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

- the obsession with airline and procedure ops and expensive "study level aircraft" that has arisen in civilian sims over the past 8 or 10 years is what came close to killing off the hobby and making it much more a niche interest with no general appeal.  It is good that Microsoft focussed on GA and VFR and fun and getting the general riff raff back into simming as when it was just the realm of elite airline simmers the hobby was slowly dying a natural, unlamented and well deserved death.

You have a really good point here but i think that in general aviation games dont appeal to many in the first place, and if they do its not something that I think "the casual gamer" could play for a long amount of time. There simply isnt much to do. I was also very happy when microsoft anounced that they were going to make a new sim because of the new wave of people wanting to play flight sims. But after they have done their business and flown around idk NY they will leave the game, and it is going to be left for the hardcore simmers becuase thats where the money that is left to earn is going to be for the developers. 

I dont think it was ever going to completely die though, but thats just my opinion🙂

MSFS is a work in progress as every single flightsim from Sublogic days to the various FS MS incarnations to XP etc. have illustrated. It is a complex synthesis of real world data with the creativity of artists, developers and programmers. If anyone was under any other perception than that is unfortunate. But the fact of the matter it is the future of flightsimming. Period. So enjoy your xplane and P3D. Indeed people are still flying the OOM infested 32 bit FSX and earlier incarnations. But for heaven's sake cool it on selling us your wonderful experiences with those versions as most of us had  huge payware investments in those sims, realize they are yesterday's investment and are happy to grow with MSFS with patience because make no mistake about it: it is the future of flightsimming.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

14 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

because make no mistake about it: it is the future of flightsimming.

I'm sure people said that about Flight and DTG's Flight Sim World, too.

The problem at present as I outlined above regarding FMC's on the jets and lack of saving the flight plan in game etc., is if they can't get the basics right which work out the box in FS9 and FSX (can't speak for P3D as I wasn't prepared to lie to get it), after this amount of time, it's difficult to hold faith for the future.

2 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

The problem at present as I outlined above regarding FMC's on the jets and lack of saving the flight plan in game etc., is if they can't get the basics right which work out the box in FS9 and FSX (can't speak for P3D as I wasn't prepared to lie to get it), after this amount of time, it's difficult to hold faith for the future.

Bad comparison. MSFS has explicitly made a commitment of 10 years at least  with this franchise which is the direct successor to the FS series. They have the means, infrastructure and resources. And Dove Tail Games? lol.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Bad comparison. MSFS has explicitly made a commitment of 10 years at least  with this franchise which is the direct successor to the FS series. They have the means, infrastructure and resources. And Dove Tail Games? lol.

Let's hope you're right... time will (literally) tell.

I just trust it will not take them the remaining 9 and a bit years to get the FMC, autopilot and save game algorithms working correctly.

Just now, Elvensmith said:

I just trust it will not take them the remaining 9 and a bit years to get the FMC, autopilot and save game algorithms working correctly.

And that's  where the addon developers come in....As long as ASOBO/MS continues the basic infrastructure and development perfecting it will always been in a vibrant addon development community. Then it becomes a synergistic process.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

lmao by that time, you wont have to worry about AP and default FMC. Let us know how p3d or xp default fmc is working out for you lol

1 minute ago, devgrp said:

lmao by that time, you wont have to worry about AP and default FMC. Let us know how p3d or xp default fmc is working out for you lol

If you read my earlier posts you will see I don't own P3D as I cannot legitimately acquire it, my only interest being entertainment use.

And I don't recall mentioning XP11 though in point of fact I actually agree the default aircraft also have issues with the FMC, though at least you can re-enter the flight plan and the LNAV will pick it up.

3 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

On the one hand, people say MSFS is still FSX code, on the other, it doesn't support basic features that FSX did. 😄

It's reasonable to say this is a brand new sim. It's not really a natural technological iteration like the current P3D or XP series. So it is asobolutely plausible to have things not working well in the beginning - even some basic stuff - while other things blow everything else away.

This for sure is no Flight. Just look how much the comminity has already added to this sim. And the devs are open to critics and about their development roadmap.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

Some of us already have 1.75 foots in the grave...so yeah, probably a mute MOOT point looking out 9 years...hahaha

Edited:  Thanks That Guy

Edited by SmokeDiddy

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy