Sign in to follow this  
sauviat

A day in the life of a CTD!

Probably, by now, when many are reporting on the forums the CTDs that happen anywhere and at anytime, most will know that a ticket should be raised to Zendesk. The fluff we have to read by persons saying do this and do that, does not mean it will work for another. It will probably cause more headaches!

I contacted Zendesk and thought it would be added to a long list of others' who have seen an increase of CTDs. Within hours I actually had a person contact me requesting that I undertake a few things including sending a couple of files: mymsinfo.txt and DxDiag.txt. The data in these logs were quite lengthy and detailed which, for me, was mind boggling! Within 24 hours I had a reply to undertake some deletions pertaining to my PC and the Windows' updates. They had seen this in one of the txt files:

"Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll"

I then had to follow more instructions to find any Microsoft Visual C++ and delete them and then download a fresh copy.

To add, since August I was getting a CTD in one particular area, so provided the Lat/Long for that. Of course after the Dec update I was having, like others, CTDs on a regular basis. MS took all of this into account. Having continued to follow their instructions to deal with certain processes; all of which had resolved what was required, I sent on Friday a CBS log which showed what had been found and repaired. I now wait to be informed what had been found and repaired. I have had no further CTDs from MSFS itself. However, I am more cautious now as to the plethora of mods that are available, for liveries, scenery and planes. The majority of modders are good, but many really don't understand the structure of MSFS and cause unnecessary pain and frustration from their mods which are responsible for the adlib CTDs:(

This has been a process of elimination, but following what MS had asked me to do. It has worked for me, but that is not to say it will work for another person. Hence it is better to provide Zendesk with as much information as possible, as this will greatly assist both parties.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 4

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

My experience too is that on a ticket you are being contacted very fast.

Last week I sent a ticket and within 2h I got a reply. In my case I had CTD’s caused by Simconnect when using Prosim. I was told that it was a known issue and that the development team is working on it. 

Just seeing that they now react very fast and are willing to help and give info is a very positive sign.

😃

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Yeah i think i may go the Zendesk route in future, seems to me the Official Bug Forums and nothing more than a way to categorise issues by Vote count which IMO is just simply poor.

My personal CTDs were due to a GPU Overclock (since returned to stock speeds), or so I thought, they still persist at random times so I've been keeping an eye on the Windows Event Viewer for the culprits and doing my own investigation and procedures to cure them. Ultimately though the Sim is mainly at fault, I've never had so many CTDs from a single game for years!

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, sauviat said:

Probably, by now, when many are reporting on the forums the CTDs that happen anywhere and at anytime, most will know that a ticket should be raised to Zendesk. The fluff we have to read by persons saying do this and do that, does not mean it will work for another. It will probably cause more headaches!

I contacted Zendesk and thought it would be added to a long list of others' who have seen an increase of CTDs. Within hours I actually had a person contact me requesting that I undertake a few things including sending a couple of files: mymsinfo.txt and DxDiag.txt. The data in these logs were quite lengthy and detailed which, for me, was mind boggling! Within 24 hours I had a reply to undertake some deletions pertaining to my PC and the Windows' updates. They had seen this in one of the txt files:

"Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll"

I then had to follow more instructions to find any Microsoft Visual C++ and delete them and then download a fresh copy.

To add, since August I was getting a CTD in one particular area, so provided the Lat/Long for that. Of course after the Dec update I was having, like others, CTDs on a regular basis. MS took all of this into account. Having continued to follow their instructions to deal with certain processes; all of which had resolved what was required, I sent on Friday a CBS log which showed what had been found and repaired. I now wait to be informed what had been found and repaired. I have had no further CTDs from MSFS itself. However, I am more cautious now as to the plethora of mods that are available, for liveries, scenery and planes. The majority of modders are good, but many really don't understand the structure of MSFS and cause unnecessary pain and frustration from their mods which are responsible for the adlib CTDs:(

This has been a process of elimination, but following what MS had asked me to do. It has worked for me, but that is not to say it will work for another person. Hence it is better to provide Zendesk with as much information as possible, as this will greatly assist both parties.

Thanks

Martin

I had a similar experience with Zendesk and the Visual C++ issue. My CTDs did go away, even using latest AMD driver, but yesterday I got a CTD as I was asking ATC for an approach assignment. This is similar to my first CTDs, months ago. Hopefully they will ID the real issue and fix it. It seems to be a situation where some kind of interrupt occurs and code thread is lost.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

@KSATRoadWarrior I don't use any of the ATC facilities, based on the issues others have had. Martin

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

My experience too is that on a ticket you are being contacted very fast.

Last week I sent a ticket and within 2h I got a reply. In my case I had CTD’s caused by Simconnect when using Prosim. I was told that it was a known issue and that the development team is working on it. 

Just seeing that they now react very fast and are willing to help and give info is a very positive sign.

😃

It would be very useful if the official MSFS Forum and this forum had stickied threads about the known SimConnect issue until it is fixed. 

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

It would be very useful if the official MSFS Forum and this forum had stickied threads about the known SimConnect issue until it is fixed. 

Sounds like a good idea. So new people at the forum don’t have to post new threads about Simconnect issues.

Quote :

Support (Microsoft Flight Simulator) 

Feb 1, 2021, 19:59 GMT+1 

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today. 

It looks like that what you are experiencing is a known issue. Be assured that the dev team is working on fixing the issue.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Just like to make a comment on what I discovered with CTD's on my brand new PC and Install of MS 2020. I would sometimes have 2 or more CTDs in 4  or 5 flights on the same day,  The other issue I noticed was my 13 year old CH Rudder pedals would sometimes disconnect after landing, the result being I couldn't stop or steer. I unplugged the USB on that controller, and plugged it back in and everything worked. A couple of times, after landing, I lost steering or brakes for a few seconds and then they both returned. I decided to order a new Rudder pedal assembly from Logitech. I connected it, and have not had any problems since, after 10+ flights. Apparently the USB disconnecting was causing instability in MS 2020 causing the CTDs. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Updated my Bios yesterday after a new version became available, no CTD since, and whilst my GPU and CPU use lowerd despite no changes other than the afore mentioned update. system is running a lot cooler too. 50-60c compared to before.

AMD 3800x

MSI M570 Pro M/Board

32gb DDR4 3200 Ram

Power Colour RX5700 XT 8gb (1080p)

2x Nvme m2 drives.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Interesting read.  For clarification, for me MSFS will simply close down (no BSOD), after flying around five minutes.  Is that what you guys mean as CTD?  So all my issues with SpadNext could be related to simconnect?  If I re-assign my controls directly in the MSFS setup and bypass outside apps like SpadNext and FSUIPC that may serve as a work-around?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

@Clutch Cargo These CTDs leave no error text and you just see your desktop. MSFS just shuts down with no warning.

Martin

Martin Parr