Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Save controller setting file

I have read a couple of posts that said Ms 2020 after an update lost controller settings and everything had to be redone. In P3D I used to know where that file was, and copied it, in case settings got messed up. Does anyone know where they are store in MS 2020? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Does anyone know where they are store in MS 2020?

MSFS 2020 ms store version

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have read a couple of posts that said Ms 2020 after an update lost controller settings and everything had to be redone. In P3D I used to know where that file was, and copied it, in case settings got messed up. Does anyone know where they are store in MS 2020? 

From day one this has never happen to me, so like everything on these forums take with a "pich of salt".

• Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

EDIT:  It DID happen if you created a different profile from default.

They were never lost, just 'bumped' over by a new blank setting loaded in from an update.  I think it may have happened twice actually.

If you looked in the controller settings, you could find them again by clicking on one of the sideways arrows to select another configuration - that is how I found my joystick and keyboard settings and got them back.
It took seconds once you knew what had happened.  I am not saying it is alright to happen though - it was another case of untested updates.

I suppose no harm in backing-up the actual file though as _Patrol has stated above, as you never know when you might want to do a clean reinstall of windows etc.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

you never know when you might want to do a clean reinstall of windows etc.

Exactly mate 😉

• Like 1

Hmmm... I have custom controller profiles. I have never experienced one of them being "bumped" over with a new default profile after an update.

I have also done a complete clean (blank SSD/HDD) Win10 install followed by FS2020 install. My custom profiles appeared on first start up (I believe they are stored in the cloud along with your logbook and a few other things).

I am using the Steam version. Maybe the above profile shenanigans is a MSStore thing?

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

21 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Hmmm... I have custom controller profiles. I have never experienced one of them being "bumped" over with a new default profile after an update.

I have also done a complete clean (blank SSD/HDD) Win10 install followed by FS2020 install. My custom profiles appeared on first start up (I believe they are stored in the cloud along with your logbook and a few other things).

I am using the Steam version. Maybe the above profile shenanigans is a MSStore thing?

...jim

Well it definitely has happened Jim.  There were multiple reports a few updates back.  I laughed when reading them, as I was also sceptical, but then I found some of my key bindings weren't working in sim.

So as usual, I paused the sim and jumped on the forums.  The answer was there in seconds.  I went to controller profiles, clicked on the sideways scroll arrow for my keyboard, and there it was - problem solved.

By the way, if you haven't modified your keyboard or other profiles, you probably wouldn't notice.  One of the Asobo keyboard maps that got loaded in deleted the up and down arrow cockpit height adjustment though - that is how I first noticed it.

By the way, yes, MS Store version for me, so who knows?  So many strange things happen with so many different set-ups.

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Well it definitely has happened Jim.  There were multiple reports a few updates back.  I laughed when reading them, as I was also sceptical, but then I found some of my key bindings weren't working in sim.

So as usual, I paused the sim and jumped on the forums.  The answer was there in seconds.  I went to controller profiles, clicked on the sideways scroll arrow for my keyboard, and there it was - problem solved.

I have clearly had this happen once as well.  It is not a myth.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Was not saying it is a myth, I fully understand that it has happened. Just wanted to mention that it has not happened to me, and I suspect many others (otherwise I'm sure the forums would have been flooded with reports.)

And yes, I have custom keyboard, mouse and yoke profiles.

@fppilot, are you using Steam or MSStore?

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 minute ago, JimBrown said:

@fppilot, are you using Steam or MSStore?

Steam

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

Steam

Ok, so it's not a Steam vs MSStore thing then.

Here's hoping someone somewhere figures it out. 😉

...jim

Only a guess, as I am trying to figure out why it only happens to some people also, but after the update it may have selected the first setting in alphabetical order, so if you renamed your profile, it may sort it either above or below the newly installed one, causing the different experience for different users.

I can't remember with mine, just that it was the only other profile there anyway, and not much of a problem once you know about it.

I lost my 'Twin Jet" profile last night - no updates, no problems, just that it reverted to my basic which is  single engine prop with just 1 throttle and 1 mixture. I have no clue why it happened.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It happens to me in one of the first updates, I think it was when the controller sensitivities was updated.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |