Sign in to follow this  
Rick Todd

Avro rj85 new member questions

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and am seeking information.  I am looking for a high quality sim platform for the Avro RJ85.  I want to use it for full instrument approaches, SIDS, STARS, and be able to use the FMS.  Is there any recommendations of which program to buy? Also which platform is best to use MSFS 2020, or X or Xplane?

Thanks very for much for any help.

Currently there is no decent Avro RJ85 available. Justflight offers the BAe146 for P3Dv5, soon also for XPlane, and they are also working on the AVRO series.

https://www.justflight.com/product/146-professional-p3d

As for the sim platform, you'll probably get a lot of controversial opinions regarding P3Dv5 and XPlane. I prefer P3Dv5 mostly due to the better weather depiction.

MSFS2020 is by far not there yet regarding serious Airliner simulation.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Qualitywings does an RJ85 (and a BAe146-100/200/300 and RJ 70/100 as well) as part of it's Ultimate 146 Collection.

That would suggest you need Prepar3D v4 (I don't think it's v5 compatible yet).

It's good, far from study level but seems to have most of the buttons and switches operating, certainly includes the FMS (of both sorts) and you can fly instrument approaches with it.

HTH

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 10:37 AM, iwebber said:

far from study level

any quick and dirty comparisons? I only ask this as an interested armchair pilot who has the QW146 collection for FSX. It seems pretty complex, although i cannot vouch for any accuracy in terms of systems, or flight modelling. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

8 hours ago, HighBypass said:

any quick and dirty comparisons?

I don't really have anything to compare it with but, as you say, it's pretty complex and I'm able to suspend my disbelief enough to immerse myself in it without any glaring bugs/errors. Currently flying a Star Peru 146 around (no surprises) Peru, it's fun, looking forward to some RJ85 Ecojet flights around Bolivia...

Would definitely recommend you spending the time to figure it out. I'm afraid I have no idea if any of it is accurate as I've never flown one but it seems about right and flies/behaves as the manual says it will.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I have had it flying around - well, the 146 with the slightly less glass cockpit and no INS anyway. The startup procedure from cold and dark appears to be study level as far as I can tell.:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)