Sign in to follow this  
jsmcwilliam

Voice recognition - "ON"

I am a longterm used of FS2Crew under P3Dv5.1, using the aircraft PMDG 737 NGXu and the Majestic Q400. I have a consistent and irritating glitch which crops up regularly and does not improve with time. When my response to an item in a checklist is "ON" the program does not recognise me and I have to respond with "Set and Checked" in order to proceed - that is, 9 times out of ten. Every now and then I manage to get my intonation right and my response is accepted. Is there any way FS2Crew can lower the tolerance level for my pronunciation of "ON" (Scottish) or is this a problem for Microsoft?

JSMcWilliam

Hi Bryan,

I have a problem trying to open the Speech Recognition feature of Windows 10. The icon appears with the text "Starting Speech Recognition" and after a few seconds the text changes to "OFF". I have tried openning the feature in the Control Panel but when I click on the option nothing happens.

I then tried through Start/Settings/Speech/Microphone/Getting Started to troubleshoot the problem. I chose the options: - Setting up the mic., Cortana can't hear me, Microphone (Realtek High Definition)...

I speak the text and get the answer: "Your mic might need to be setup" and then "Fixed", however, I still cannot get to the recognition training page.

I have run FS2Crew along with P3Dv5.1 and the Majestic Q400 and it works normally but still has difficulty in accepting my pronunciation of "ON". I am using English (US) as the default language along with a Swedish keyboard.

Help!!

John McWilliam

Edited by jsmcwilliam

OK - followed your map and now have the speech properties/recognition window: Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 (English - UK). I have English - US as default and tried to change this to English - UK in Settings/Speech but it defaults back to the US version so I changed the Recogniser option to English - US.

In the Speech Properties Window I cannot delete my profile. New and Train Profile are available so I could perhaps overwrite the existing profile. I ran the Train Profile option.

None of the Settings are selected and the mic seems to be active (Realtek High Definition Audio).

Finally, I after restart, I ran the sim with the Majestic Q400, started FS2Crew and proceeded to the Before Start Checklist. When I got to "Fasten Seat Belts Switch" and responded with "ON" this was not recognised. "Set and Checked" worked!

JSMcWilliam.

Edited by jsmcwilliam

I added the word "on" according to your instructions but sadly this did not help. Sometimes the recognition (green text) indicates "arm" and sometimes "one". I can't get it to recognise "on".

I read somewhere that the speech and language defaults have to be the same. I have my language set to Swedish because I use a swedish keyboard. Could that be significant.  

I enclose a link to some screen shots which may be of use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ywo72afhfay2c79/AABDGnjMUkK6ClKQgVCGNENca?dl=0

JSMcWilliam

I don't think the Swedish keyboard is an issue.

Generally speaking, Voice Control will either work or it will totally fail if your computer is not setup properly.

If there are any shades of grey it has to do with your accent, mic, etc.

I don't know how thick your Scottish accent is, but I suggest just using "Set and Checked".

That's why we have it.