Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Fast Start ?

Is there anyway to speed up the loading process of this sim? I know mine takes over a minute to reach the Welcome selection page. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

If using Steam put this in the Launch Options in the Properties window:

-Fastlaunch

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

44 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Is there anyway to speed up the loading process of this sim? I know mine takes over a minute to reach the Welcome selection page. 

From starting at the desktop?  Mine takes like 7 minutes to get into the welcome launch page ( though I do have over 100 Community addons)

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

58 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Open the browser right after you click on the msfs icon. Then browse avsim or check weather for your airports. Time flies when you are having fun! 😀

Or use the msfs linker to only load the sceneries you want to use.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I just leave the sim on the  Home Page to keep from downloading from start.  Seems to work OK.

Dave Hinson

If you have the MS Store version try this:

cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

Make a text file in notepad and save with whatever name you like on the desktop. Rename the text file you saved to end in .cmd in other words replace .txt with .cmd.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

I just leave the sim on the  Home Page to keep from downloading from start.  Seems to work OK.

Dave Hinson

This is great, thanks. Just leave it on. I do graphic work, planes and scenery and hated the load times and always thought I had to open the sim from the start to be able to see changes in my work. I just now left it on the Welcome screen as you suggested and changed a texture and saved it. I then went to World Map from the still open Welcome screen and then to the airport I am working on and the texture was replaced....wow, lots of time saved,,thanks again !

• Like 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

It sounds like you're good now, but if you're experiencing slow load times in general and you have a lot of stuff in the Community folder you should consider using a tool like MSFS Addons Linker to disable ones you're not using at any given time.   My sim with nothing installed, using the fast launch option described above, goes from start to the main menu in a little under 2 minutes.   With a fairly "standard" selection of my mods enabled for a given flight it usually takes in the area of 3 minutes.

The last time I tried to start it with all 300GB enabled, I gave up after it sat at the black screen for 20 minutes. 

It sounds, though, that you're doing something that may be using dev mode.  Is that so?   In that case, there are a number of ways that you can get a scenery or plane to reload without ever even needing to go back to the main menu.   If you describe what you're trying to do we might be able to help even more. 🙂

That fast launch thing is only Steam right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

That fast launch thing is only Steam right?

If using Steam put this in the Launch Options in the Properties window:

-Fastlaunch  OR

If you have the MS Store version try this:

cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

What does it actually do?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

It skips a bit of loading screens for you to stare at while waitin'...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

I try this -FastLaunch option with Steam but I did not notice any difference at all.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

The fastlaunch is meant to skip some of the animation and videos that play on startup.  

If you have a fairly clean install it will probably make a difference.

If you are taking 23.9 minutes to load because you have a community folder containing google maps downloads for the entire continental US, then the half a minute or so fastlaunch saves will be neither here nor there.

16 hours ago, warbirds said:

This is great, thanks. Just leave it on. I do graphic work, planes and scenery and hated the load times and always thought I had to open the sim from the start to be able to see changes in my work. I just now left it on the Welcome screen as you suggested and changed a texture and saved it. I then went to World Map from the still open Welcome screen and then to the airport I am working on and the texture was replaced....wow, lots of time saved,,thanks again !

Note that if you open a project in dev mode there is a resync option.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

15 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I try this -FastLaunch option with Steam but I did not notice any difference at all.

It skips the intro videos, that's all. If you're still seeing them you haven't done it properly.

Edit: lower case l for launch

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)