Sign in to follow this  
Rob1n

Low cpu usage and high Gpu usage

Unless you are running in 4K you get very little benefit with a 3000 Series GPU. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Unless you are running in 4K you get very little benefit with a 3000 Series GPU. 

True to an extent.

It is possible to use NVidia's DSR and achieve semi 4K resolution on a 1080P monitor.

And that is where a 3000 series GPU will thrive.

Even though I have a 1080P monitor (3 of) and a 1070Ti I can atm achive 4K in selected optimal flying conditions @ a vsync'd 30 hz.

Perfectly flyable, very smooth and looks great, menus are a bit small though.

Usually I use a DSR screen mode of 1.78x native mode which my 1070Ti handles pretty well in almost all conditions although sometimes I have to drop SSAA back to 2x (from 4x).

Cheers R

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

I’ve got a Samsung G9 patiently waiting for my new PC 😍

5 hours ago, Rogen said:

True to an extent.

It is possible to use NVidia's DSR and achieve semi 4K resolution on a 1080P monitor.

And that is where a 3000 series GPU will thrive.

Even though I have a 1080P monitor (3 of) and a 1070Ti I can atm achive 4K in selected optimal flying conditions @ a vsync'd 30 hz.

Perfectly flyable, very smooth and looks great, menus are a bit small though.

Usually I use a DSR screen mode of 1.78x native mode which my 1070Ti handles pretty well in almost all conditions although sometimes I have to drop SSAA back to 2x (from 4x).

Cheers R

I get your point.  But up close on a big enough screen there is a difference between actual 4k and "4k" dsr.  Which makes sense considering a 4k monitor can display 4x the pixels a 1080p can.  I'm not knocking DSR however. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

17 hours ago, micstatic said:

I get your point.  But up close on a big enough screen there is a difference between actual 4k and "4k" dsr.  Which makes sense considering a 4k monitor can display 4x the pixels a 1080p can.  I'm not knocking DSR however. 

Hey yes of course, I've a 4k TV which was really cheap to buy.

That said 4k monitors and the GFX cards to drive them are really expensive, I could probably buy ~6 x 65 inch 4k Korean brand TV's for the price of your GFX card and 4k monitors.

Not knocking, just some of us don't have such cash to splash and have to make use with workarounds like DSR.

Cheers R

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 2/24/2021 at 2:59 AM, rich1241 said:

Just curious if you managed to get your issues solved? I've got a new pc on order with 3080/5900x also so was just wondering...hoping I don't need to upgrade already to a 3090 😅

Well... Kind of. For me the fix was to not cap the fps and turn of vsync, that way the gpu is always at 100% and tryinng to get as many frames as possible. When it comes to if you need a 3090 i dont think so, the performance is about 15% better. The big difference is in the vram but depends if you want to. I would recommend doing some more digging on the internet to see the performance 3080 vs 3090 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:25 PM, Rob1n said:

Well... Kind of. For me the fix was to not cap the fps and turn of vsync, that way the gpu is always at 100% and tryinng to get as many frames as possible. When it comes to if you need a 3090 i dont think so, the performance is about 15% better. The big difference is in the vram but depends if you want to. I would recommend doing some more digging on the internet to see the performance 3080 vs 3090 🙂

Glad you got it sorted in the end! I'm not really gonna go for a 3090....don't need that perf & atm it's an extra £900 to upgrade my order 🤑🙄