Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

FSX Freeze Up Problem (Not CTD)

Guest nycfly75

Im running FSX now at a pretty good level (FPS, scenery, etc). My main problem now is that FSX freezes after a given length of time. Its not airport or location specific. It seems to happen after at least 30-45 minutes after I launch a free flight. SOmetimes it happens in spot and and others in 2D cockpit view. What happens basically is that the image will freeze and the sound will continue but freeze at the sound output it was making at the point of freeze. I have to do CNTL-ALT-DEL to shut it down and on rare instances have to do a complete hard reboot. Is this happening to anyone else and does any one have any fixes? Thanks!Intel Core Duo 2.16Ati X16001 gig RamUpgraded to latest direct X Tweaks:Fiber Frame .50Texture bandwith 90Thanks! Vinny

To tell you the truth Vinny, I was having a very similar problem when I first got FSX, and it was many weeks before I tracked down the cause of it. In my case it turned out to be my CPU overheating, and I fixed it by cleaning my heatsink which was clogged with dust. I also got an external fan aimed at the vents on the side of my box. You'll find a discussion of it in the Hardware Forum if you look.I live in Australia where it's starting to get pretty hot, and so CPU heat is potentially a problem, but you're from NY aren't you?Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest nycfly75

Mike,Thanks for your response. I read the thread you recommended. It could possibly be an issue however I failed to mention im running FSX on a xp partition (via bootcamp) on a core duo imac so what i can do with hardware changes is extremely limited. My vents are clean but its very possible that the cpu is overheating. I am in NYC and even with the heat on its a constant 20C where my computer is. Im wondering if its an add on plane issue??? I plan on adding 1 gig of ram in case its a memory problem but other than that i cant change the video card or anything else (except ram) since everything is hard wired into the imac. I hope I can find a solution, because i finally got FSX running very nicely and thats a miracle, even more so on a mac. FYI, FS9 runs perfectly with sliders at max on the same machine.

Hi Vinny,I've had a similar problem but mine doesn't happen all the time. Also, mine doesn't happen after a specific time. I have checked temperature of my video card (for the heck of it) and the video card temp has been well below the manufacturers recommendation. In my case I went to the Nvida control panel to check temperature. Not sure how to check CPU temp unless you install special hardware. I can go a few days with no freezing and then it happens. Not sure what is the cause, but I've had similar freezes with FS9 on the same computer. I wonder if in my case it's a driver issue. Anyway, not a major problem here as yet. If I do find a reason, I'll post again.Good luck

Guest wiz_of_wuz

>Im running FSX now at a pretty good level (FPS, scenery,>etc). My main problem now is that FSX freezes after a given>length of time. Its not airport or location specific. It seems>to happen after at least 30-45 minutes after I launch a free>flight. SOmetimes it happens in spot and and others in 2D>cockpit view. What happens basically is that the image will>freeze and the sound will continue but freeze at the sound>output it was making at the point of freeze. I have to do>CNTL-ALT-DEL to shut it down and on rare instances have to do>a complete hard reboot. Is this happening to anyone else and>does any one have any fixes? Thanks!>>Intel Core Duo 2.16>Ati X1600>1 gig Ram>>Upgraded to latest direct X >>Tweaks:>>Fiber Frame .50>Texture bandwith 90>>Thanks! VinnyHello,Did you ever find out anything on this? I have the EXACT same problem. I have a core 2 duo E6600 with a ATI X1950XTX. I just bought a 650 watt 40 amp power supply thinking that was the problem to no avail. If anyone has an Idea I am willing to listen. :)ThanksBrian

Same problem here.. Sometimes I can go an entire evening without issue, other times it locks up after about 30 minutes of flying. Mine always requires a hard reboot... System becomes unresponsive to everything except unplugging the A/C power...Hope there's a resolution soon...

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

I initially had the same problem, I found though, it was caused by the BufferPools tweak, If I run without it FSX will be very stable, with it (No matter what it's set for), it will slow down to a crawl after a while and occasionally freezes requiring a reboot. Sometimes I could Alt-Enter to window mode and back to full, and it will be ok for awhile more. Since I removed those lines from the fsx.cfg file, I no longer have any issues with this. The downside is Autogen will appear much closer than it did with the settings, but I could live with that, if it results in a more stable environment!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

i've exactly the same problem, with the iFly 737NGX or the Fokker 70/100 Digital Aviation. After let's say one hour the FSX freezes (does not respond in window). My system: i7 860 @ 2.80GHz 2.93GHz 4GB RAM WIN7 X64. I've got also very good FPS but I can't fly because it happens on every flight....

Go to this site, and download the Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll. The version number should be 6.0.5840.16386.Place it into the root folder of FSX. DON'T put it anywhere else. The Win7 version of this file is in the System32 folder, but it sometimes doesn't play well with FSX.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Im running FSX now at a pretty good level (FPS, scenery, etc). My main problem now is that FSX freezes after a given length of time. Its not airport or location specific. It seems to happen after at least 30-45 minutes after I launch a free flight. SOmetimes it happens in spot and and others in 2D cockpit view. What happens basically is that the image will freeze and the sound will continue but freeze at the sound output it was making at the point of freeze. I have to do CNTL-ALT-DEL to shut it down and on rare instances have to do a complete hard reboot. Is this happening to anyone else and does any one have any fixes? Thanks!--------------------------------------Yes, in fact it does for a lot of users and you are now among them. I should mention that if you are in a really great flight that really matters to you to end it at the other runway, then merely go and make yourself a sandwich, coffee, etc. Let the 'freeze' stay in place and for no apparent reason, after a matter of 10-or greater minutes pass, it will all of a sudden 'release' and you carry on as if it never happened. Now...it might not happen again for the rest of the flight, or at any time past the initial 'freeze' might kick in again. Nobody has a handle on this to date, but many theories abound. The bottom line...if you want to continue in the flight, (and for whatever reason it does...), let the system 'unfreeze' after whatever minutes it takes. Weird as it is...it will, and not C.T.D.Mitch

Go to this site, and download the Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll. The version number should be 6.0.5840.16386.Place it into the root folder of FSX. DON'T put it anywhere else. The Win7 version of this file is in the System32 folder, but it sometimes doesn't play well with FSX.
I've already did that :) Could it be ventilation?

hi, had the same problem for a long while but have managed to get rid of it.Can't say exactly why or what the culprit was but have changed my graphics card from a fan cooled ati hd2400xt 256 for a ati Radeon hd4350 512mb heatsink.Used Bojote's tweak service and further modified BufferPools section back to default.(see file)carefully went thro' the fsx.cfg file and edited out duplicate display entries (old graphics card ware still there)also edited out other duplicate or odd references.since then have not had any hang up or pauses.Running Carenado B58 in pnw orbx using shader3 mods.if its any help this my fsx.cfg file:-// This file was tweaked on Mar 25, 2011 at 15:05 GMT using Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service// Your 'original' fsx.cfg file was backed up at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/290488d02c9f0e37c35c76e36416cb1f/backup/fsx_backup.cfg// This file is optimized as follows: 2 core(s), CPU speed 1, HT 0, GPU 3, PREF 2// You can visit Bojote's FSX Tweaking & Tuning service at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html[MAPVIEW_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1show_flight_history=1// [bufferPools]// UsePools=1// PoolSize=8388608 // was 3670016 // RejectThreshold=131072[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[sOUND]AmbientUI=1AmbientUIMusic=FSX08AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND=1SOUND_FADER1=0.460000SOUND_FADER2=0.610000SOUND_FADER3=0.610000SOUND_FADER4=0.960000SOUND_LOD=1SOUND_QUALITY=2UISound=0VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}[slewTextInfo.1]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2[AContain]LabelColor=FFFF0000LabelDelay=1000ShowLabelAirline=0ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelFlightPlan=0ShowLabelHeading=0ShowLabelManufacturer=1ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabels=1ShowUserLabel=0[ATC]AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BPilotVoice=0ShowATCText=1UsePilotVoice=1[TextInfo.1]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[iNTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=1MEASURE=0[CONTROLS]Controls_Current=StandardControls_Default=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64[FACILITIES]CITY=PortlandCOUNTRY=United StatesGTL_BUTTON=1244STATE=Oregon[TextInfo.3]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3FrameRate=2,1FuelPercentage=2,4GForce=2,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1LockedFrameRate=2,2Longitude=1,2WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=0[GRAPHICS]AC_SELF_SHADOW=0AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=0AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0ALLOW_SHADER_30=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1D3D10=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1GROUND_SHADOWS=0HIGHMEMFIX=1IMAGE_QUALITY=0LANDING_LIGHTS=1NUM_LIGHTS=8See_Self=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024TEXTURE_QUALITY=3Text_Scroll=0SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432[TrafficManager]AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1AirlineDensity=12FreewayDensity=4GADensity=14IFROnly=0LeisureBoatsDensity=2ShipsAndFerriesDensity=3[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series .0]Mode=1680x1050x32TriLinear=1[DynamicHeadMovement]HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000[REALISM]AutoCoord=FalseAutoTrim=FalseCrashDetection=TrueCrashTolerance=1.000000CrashWithDyn=TrueGEffect=TrueGeneral=1.000000GyroDrift=FalseGyroEffect=1.000000ManualLights=TruePFactor=1.000000RealMixture=TrueStressDamage=TrueTorque=1.000000TrueAirspeed=FalseUnlimitedFuel=False[Weather]AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=5CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3DETAILED_CLOUDS=0DisableTurbulence=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DynamicWeather=0MaxGustRampSpeed=200MaxGustTime=500MaxVarRampSpeed=75MaxVarTime=50MinGustRampSpeed=1MinGustTime=10MinVarRampSpeed=10MinVarTime=5THERMAL_VISUALS=0TurbulenceScale=1.000000WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1[Misc]Com_Rate=7[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1HideMenuFullscreen=1HideMenuNormal=0Location=935,48,1658,862,\\.\DISPLAY1Maximized=1SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscUser Objects=Airplane, HelicopterProcSpeed=3829PerfBucket=6[Trusted][TextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1FuelPercentage=1,4GForce=1,3LockedFrameRate=1,2[uSERINTERFACE]Map_Orientation=2OpenATCOnCreate=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1PageID=1SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIMSelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllShowAllACPaintSchemes=1DisplayFuelAsWeight=0[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1[Display]ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255BLOOM_EFFECTS=0ChangeTime=4.000000InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoOverspeedEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=0TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40TextureMaxLoad=30TransitionTime=4.000000UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=28WideViewAspect=True[slewTextInfo.3]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3FrameRate=2,1Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1LockedFrameRate=2,2Longitude=1,2[PANELS]DEFAULT_VIEW=1IMAGE_QUALITY=1PANEL_MASKING=1PANEL_OPACITY=100PANEL_STRETCHING=1QUICKTIPS=1UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0[sTARTUP]DEMO=0LoadWindow=1SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1STARTUP_DEMO=0[slewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[TERRAIN]AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5DETAIL_TEXTURE=1LOD_RADIUS=3.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=23SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=4TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29WATER_EFFECTS=4TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500[sCENERY]DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5LENSFLARE=0SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[WeatherMap]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[MULTIPLAYER]condAccoutPassword=0VoiceVolume=1.920000

Well, wednesday I'll fly again but next to the PC I'll put a fan an try it again.

Hi, I've flown again with no freezed FSX!Changes: locked FPS 30, I put a fan next to the PC :PRegards,

Hi, I've flown again with no freezed FSX!Changes: locked FPS 30, I put a fan next to the PC :PRegards,
Good news Steve, glad to hear you've made progress. It must be getting hot in Amsterdam!

Mike Beckwith