Sign in to follow this  
bdenley

Please explain FPS

Come on please, theres nothing wrong with the fps counter. download fraps and check it out your self if you have nothing better to do.You dont really believe that the team would implement a fps counter that shows too low fps :D.

Maybe you have poor eyesight? :-lolI cannot tolerate it at all below 15-18FPS.18 FPS is my bare minimum. 20-24 seems ok in FSX if you can get it.I currently get 30FPS locked in FS9 fully loaded with addons.

Don't know about him Robert, but you should believe it for me. Sliders mostly right, Autogen dense. 22-25 normally, 12-18 big cities depending on wx and AI. The trick is yes being a good twkr but also using the right components in your build, and knowing the finer points of tuning them. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest bjablonka

So Rhett, would you be so kind to share the tweaking you have done to get those great FPS so that we all can benefit from it.Thank you so much.

>I am confused. I hear everyone here complain about getting>only 15 or so FPS. I am getting anywhere beween 12-14 FPS and>at LAX outside view it drops to 9-11 FPS but it is almost>totally smooth for me. Very little hesitation. My machine is a>dual core AMD, 3 gig RAM and an ATI 1900 w/ 512 mb of video>memory. Are FPS differently perceived from computer to>computer? Can someone please expain why for some 15 FPS is>stuttering while for others (me) 12 FPS is almost smooth.Push all the display and A.I. traffic sliders to the left and set min resolution, lock your framerates to 40-50 FPS, fly for a while. Then come back here telling us 12 FPS is smooth. :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>So im to believe you have all settings above average and>including autogen and you are enjuying 20 to 22 fps, and a>drop to 15 to 16 in the cities.>sorry that is hard to believe unless of course you using only>default.>>id love to believe that but there are guys with better>systems not getting that. >>So what is the trick or are you just lucky or a good>tweaker:)>>>>.................Robert Robert what usually happens with guys with high end systems, they also tend to fiddle with various settings not leaving things as they come. I honestly tell you that I only changed the following in the fsx.cfgFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.2TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=2000[bufferPools]PoolSize=5000000I am happy to fly FSX with frames between 14-22!Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Guest DLL

I know what the OP is saying, but I wonder if it has to do with what sorts of planes you fly. If my FPS drops below 10 there is a *little* stutter, but it's still playable. I fly small planes and I imagine since the view is updating in very small increments the jerkiness of low FPS isn't as apparent. Who knows, but I can definitely say if I was running 10FPS with any other game it would be unplayable, not so with FSX. In any event, I've been able to get more than satisfying performance both on my old system and my newly upgraded one. In fact with the new components I can max out just about everything but traffic volumes (keep it at 30%) and still get a very enjoyable experience.Old System:Althon X64 4200+2GB DDR 400 ram7800 GT OCNew System:E6600 Core Duo2GB DDR 800 ram8800GTS(yeah it's sweet and the intel chip blows my old athlon out of the water.)

Guest hefy_jefy

Ha ha!I hear the squeak of the hinges on Pandora's box...Ever since we have been able to set a max frame rate (and I can't remember when this feature appeared) I have set my max frame rate to 15.Wikipedia has this on Persistance of Vision:"Through experience in the early days of film innovation, it was determined that a frame rate of less than 16 frames per second caused the mind to see flashing images. Audiences still interpret motion at rates as low as ten frames per second or slower (as in a flipbook), but the flicker caused by the shutter of a film projector is distracting below the 16-frame threshold.Modern theatrical film runs at 24 frames a second. This is the case for both physical film and digital film systems."I figure that 15 gives the sim some "headroom" to load scenery, effects etc.However, there is something else going on, a steady 15fps or even 10fps I find quite acceptable (because I can't afford a faster system right now!) its the 3-4 fps that kill the sim.Also it always happens just when you really don't need it - trying to heave the 747 sideways because you messed up the approach.I always console myself that if I can land at sub 10fps in the 747 I will probably do really well once I get the "dream machine"Geoff

Guest hefy_jefy

Er,I just read the rest of the posts.Promise - I DIDN'T look at the MS page on framerates before posting...Geoff

Do a little more reaearch. Or, failing that, just believe what you will. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go through this issue again...and again...and again...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>My ATIS runs totally smooth on top even when I show 8 FPS.Well, this depends again on what you call "smooth". At 8 FPS, i'm 100% it's not smooth at all but jerky. ATIS will not run smooth under 20, is barely acceptable between 20 and 24 FPS, gets better between 24 and 30 FPS and is smooth over 30 FPS.At 8 FPS, nothing is "smooth" because your eyes/brain will notice the time between each changing image. That effect will only dissapear at FPS rates over 24.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Guest lalo lolo1

Actually there's nothing wrong with fps at 13 for example. I get those with FSX in populated areas as well as with the QOTS with heavy scenery, clouds, sliders to the right, etc in FS9. Both sims behave pretty much the same with those fps. My PC is totally tweaked and 12fps is no stutter at all in any of the two programs.The problem is that FS9 is able to run awesome addons such as the PMDG products, together with cloud9 sceneries, clouds maxed, etc, etc, and at the end with similar performance I get a way more enjoyable FS with FS9 than with FSX. I have lots of photoreal sceneries, which look better than FSX default, or in other areas I have GE Pro that equals at least the ground in FSX. My FS is 99% addons, mostly payware. Even my sky color, clouds, water, etc is addon. Not to mention aircrafts, airports or scenery in general. The big complaint is that if you ever dream about using FSX with most of what makes FS(9 in this case) a great FS, which is addons, your 13 fps will drop to probably nothing higher than 7/8 fps, and that will make you stutter no matter how good the program is and how well your PC is tweaked.Leo

Guest Rob Hirst

I sometimes wonder if this FPS reading becomes the subject of peoples vanity! If you are acheiving 10-15FPS and consider the sim smooth and to your liking then fine. If you prefer 25-30 then fine too. People saying "my FPS reading is bigger than yours" gets a little petty at times. Rarely are two PC's alike and rarely are two peoples opinions alike, consequently there are so many variables we could go round and round all year on this subject. At the end of the day you are either happy with FSX or not. The original poster is clearly happy with his siming experience so MS has acheived what it set out to do. I personally was not happy with my 20FPS average and have reverted to FS9. I am a bit miffed at losing

In everything I've done and seen, I notice the largest stutters come from a high variance in FPS. If you have the min/max/avg display enabled it will tell you when you go from 10FPS to 26 to 31 back to 21. When your PC is jumping like that (set your slider to unlimited) you tend to get more stutters. If you lock at a fixed value normally the stutters go away.Try it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest bjablonka

Thank you Leo. I am also flying mainly add-ons and have tons of scenery improvements, maybe that is the reason that we get smooth video with lower FSP.