Sign in to follow this  
jfwharton

Limit on importing flight plans

Today I spent hours troubleshooting why I could not see new flight plans in my import folder for the Flight1 GTN 750.  I searched everywhere to determine where the files were that I was seeing when I tried to import a flight plan and determine why new flight plans were not showing up when I tried to import them.  I finally stumbled across the answer by comparing the starting and ending flight plans in the GTN 750 window to the flight plans in the import folder in windows explorer.  What I discovered was startling.  Why am I talking about the F1 GTN 750 on this forum?  Because after discovering this issue I went into the Reality XP GTN 750 and confirmed that the same issue exists, and there is nothing in the documentation for the F1 GTN 750 nor the Reality XP GTN 750 that indicates there is a 50 flight plan limit to what the GTN can read in.  So now I have a system to backup all of my flight plans and clear out the import folder (C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN) but this begs the question.  Is there a limit to the number of flight plans that can be stored in the Reality XP GTN 750?

Edited by RXP

15 hours ago, jfwharton said:

Today I spent hours troubleshooting why I could not see new flight plans in my import folder for the Flight1 GTN 750.  I searched everywhere to determine where the files were that I was seeing when I tried to import a flight plan and determine why new flight plans were not showing up when I tried to import them.  I finally stumbled across the answer by comparing the starting and ending flight plans in the GTN 750 window to the flight plans in the import folder in windows explorer.  What I discovered was startling.  Why am I talking about the Flight1 GTN 750 on this forum?  Because after discovering this issue I went into the Reality XP GTN 750 and confirmed that the same issue exists, and there is nothing in the documentation for the Flight1 GTN 750 nor the Reality XP GTN 750 that indicates there is a 50 flight plan limit to what the GTN can read in.  So now I have a system to backup all of my flight plans and clear out the import folder (C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN) but this begs the question.  Is there a limit to the number of flight plans that can be stored in the Reality XP GTN 750?

I have been using the GTN's since 2015.  F1 first, RXP since shortly after it was released.  In all honesty the greatest issue I have is managing my extensive list of stored flight plans.  I find I have stored way too many and what ever the limit, the limit is clearly no factor.  The limit may be as high as 200. My understanding is that the limit is defined in the Garmin Trainer, not in the RXP gauges.

I am unable tonight to locate a source that provides information on what the limit is in quantity.  My experience is that unless I keep the list cleaned up, it is taking too long for me to scroll through the list of flight plans I have saved to find one I am looking for.  In many cases when I have so many still in storage it is quicker to just enter a flight plan from scratch than to look for and likely edit a saved plan.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, fppilot said:

I am unable tonight to locate a source that provides information on what the limit is in quantity. 

For the record here, I just completed a count.  In my primary, GTN 750_1, I currently have (63) stored flight plans.  In my GTN 750_2 I have (47) stored.  I do not have a great deal of overlap between the two GTN 750 instances.  I use 750_1 primarily in the Realair Turbine Duke v2, which I use for higher, longer flights.  I use 750_2 in models like the Milviz Cessna 310R and B55 Baron for shorter, lower routes.  My only model installed with both is the TDv2, and I do not typically use the flight plan function of 750_2 in the TDv2.  Instead, in the 750_2 in the TDv2 I use the traffic page most often, as well as the Nearest, 'Waypoint Info, and Utilities.  I also use the Fltplan.Go app on my iPad for a live moving map when I want a secondary route display.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you for your reply.  Currently I have about 65 flight plans stored in GTN 750_1 ( I only use one GTN) and have thought about what you mentioned that it might be easier to just enter the flight plan by bringing it up in Little NavMap and then manually entering the waypoints into the GTN.  I'll have to do a comparison to see which works out faster.  Another idea I had was to use windows explorer to copy a flight plan from my master list into the upload folder.  Then just load the flight plan without storing it and then delete the flight plan from the upload folder after the flight.

• Like 1

The GTN can support up to 99 stored routes.

This is explained in the Garmin GTN Pilot's guide:

4.3.5 Flight Plan Catalog Route Options

The Flight Plan Catalog allows you to create, edit, activate, delete and copy
flight plans. The catalog can hold up to 99 flight plans of up to 100 waypoints
each. Flight plans are named by the Departure and Destination waypoint. Any
time you activate a flight plan, a copy of the flight plan is automatically transferred
to Active Flight Plan page and overwrites any previously active flight plan.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you very much for that information.  I should have looked more closely in the documentation.  As as a compliment, the documentation that comes with the Reality XP GTN series is much better than what comes with the F1 GTN series.  Way better!

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1