Sign in to follow this  
Otrman

Creating fly-to versus fly-over waypoints

My problem was using the F-111 at 400 kts the turn circle is always going to be too big for some portions of the canyon , I often fly at about half tree height at 400 kts weaving between trees and regularly exceed 70 degrees bank to effect the turns with the ball balanced in the center , it's great for your reflexes .

The ideal aircraft would be a slow , powerful aerobatic one , possibly a good one might be Fieseler Fi 156 Storch (English: Stork) , I went to an airshow and a three quarter scale homebuilt version was flying in a brisk headwind it was actually going backwards , now something that slow would make it easy , but whatever you use it is quite an adventure , we are lucky that we can do all this sort of stuff in the sim .

Regards Ireland , it's a matter of critical mass , certain countries are commercially attractive due to public popularity , so those get the extra attention . I'm lucky with FSX as ORBX (commercial scenery producer) originated in Australia , so it's always received abundant attention and upgrades , with Germany it was a matter of waiting many years before the ORBX scenery was made and relatively recently upgraded to it's current stunning status .

When I first started with computers/Flight Simulator I immediately purchased the F-111 , it flew brilliantly and fast , the faster you fly the quicker you get lost , the instruments were hopeless , just the usual 6 pack , I needed more , spent many months searching the panel of every aircraft I could get my hands on , all to no avail .

So I was left with having to create my own instruments , that got interesting , I had to learn xml programming , to me it was a bit like learning Swahili , but I suspect Swahili is easier to learn . But eventually I made the instruments with the functions that I needed , it's hellishly complex , but it all works it's black magic a treat .

Hopefully in due course as the platform matures more POI's will be added by MS and other developers , but it will always boil down to us having to research and discover various POI and their historical story . When I flew to the Battle Lat/Long in my above screenshots there was nothing there did some research and compared both river and road shapes in maps and sim and they matched it's just a Dig in farmland you can see it in attached video link if interested in that stuff , until several weeks ago I had never heard of battle or POI monument .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtafK9clSTY

Cheers Karol

Hello,

I guess I am stuck between sim worlds right now.  I started about 18 mos ago after being told that XP 11 was the end all and be all.  Yes, it is very mature, plenty of great planes, but the scenery was much less than I expected.  Got started with Ortho4xp and it got to be a pain in the butt to manage.  Then MS comes along and the scenery is great and I don't have to store it all on my computer and manage disk space, etc.  Thus I have not done much with XP 11 for the past few months.

Being in my mid eighties I don't know how long I can wait for MS to catch up with better planes, etc.

If I want speed now the best I can do is one of the single engine turboprops.

Cheers right back atcha,

Henry

Hello Karol,

Been away from sims battling some heart health issues.  Coming back I hooked up with MS and found they had a significant scenery update that concentrated around London itself.  I created a simple FP from London City to Buckingham Palace, then onto Heathrow.  Saved it, loaded it, and took off.  MS provides pointers to POI they added to their library of POIs.  Buckingham is about 7 miles from London City airport and sure enough the pointer for Buckingham was visible.  Unfortunately so was every other pointer in the vicinity and flight path to Buckingham were visible which utterly spoils the scenery along the way to Buckingham.  I only added Buckingham to my FP.  Do you know of a way to only display pointers to elements one includes in an FP?

Have you ever used Little Nav Map?

Regards,

Henry

Hi Henry

I hade done your flight  from London City to Heathrow via the palace  , see shots .

#1 Palace Lat/Long from google search ,Left is Flight plan editor , Right is Flt Pln listing in radar

fsx-2011-04-16-03-43-02-13.jpg

#2 Flight Plan lines shown on radar , similar to a normal GPS display . The plan lines are 3 colour categories  (1) not yet flown leg portion (2) active leg currently being flown , usually Magenta , in my case Fluro Green (3) past legs already flown . NOTE: that by ensuring the aircraft symbol is flown precisely along the plan line you will arrive at your POI the Palace at SEQ 01 even if no pointer exists .

fsx-2011-04-16-03-43-04-22.jpg

#3 The Buckingham Palace in FSX ( note I have ORBX commercial scenery for England installed ) 

fsx-2011-04-16-03-43-05-72.jpg

I have never used Little Nav Map or any other addon Flight Planner from what I have seen LNM is rather nice and capable . I did my own Flt Pln Editor because I wanted it to be integrated into a instrument within the panel and to be useable in flight , also wanted it to feed to other instruments . In my case I choose which feature I want as a POI , it could be anything , a church , castle , bridge , factory , a specific tank at a refinery , I use them for navigation , bombing targets , sightseeing , a reference point . You may be aware that the Swedish Airforce use sections of the highway system as contingency runways , I have a page in the Editor  that has 2 decimal points added to the Lat/Longs to give a high order of precision it enables an accuracy of +/- 3 Inches , that about the size of a slice of toasted bread , so I can enter the position of the center of a narrow road and generate a runway where ever I chose in my AILA facility  , can generate that at any distance then find it and do a precision ILS style landing even in the dark with zero visibility , so a POI is totally dependant on desired circumstances .

I presume that you are able to turn the POI pointers off , in which case it would be all pointers off , not what you are after .

Just to be totally clear you are able to create Flight Plans and have the flight plans show up on the GPS display , ie: the Flt Pln lines that I mentioned earlier.

Sorry about the length of the post , I tend to waffle at times .

Regards

Karol

EDIT

Gripen practicing landing and take off from a road base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2Xde54xz4

Edited by COBS
  • Upvote 1

Hi Karol,

I don't understand your flight planning method.  I did my flight plan from the World Map in MS 2020 flying the Cessna.  I took  some screen shots so I can get some guidance from you and they are sitting on my desktop and I don't have a URL to put them in so I can send them to you.

Is there a way I can send them to you off line?

Henry

Hi Henry

Check your mail (PM) at header of this page if you want to send shots to me.

The method used of creating a Flight Plan does not matter , however you do it is OK . In my case I have created instruments and a panel  that enables an extremely flexible approach to creating Flight Plans on a global scale all within the cockpit/panel , I do not have to rely on any external resource or interrupt the flight to do so , it is all self contained in instruments shown in panel shots. 

As previously said , I can at any time  move the Radar Map to any location on earth , for example I could be flying in Australia  , I put the autopilot on Heading hold to leave my hands free to move the radar display to the other side of the world , in the radar I can display , Airports , VOR's , NDB's , Intersections , any can be selected for inclusion in a Flt Pln  as can any Lat/Long clicked on radar screen . I know it's an extreme case but it shows that I can create a complex plan in for example England or Germany while the aircraft is happily flying nap of the earth on TFR/Autopilot 8,000 nm away , so you have a nice ever changing view while creating the plan , then on a whim I can immediately overwrite and create a Flt Pln in USA  , Flt Plns can be created or modified as often as desired in a single flight session , the flexibility and options are left to the discretion of the pilot , as it should be .

If I have an interest in a specific feature or location  , I do the following before a flight to get the Lat/Long :

(1}  do a google search for whatever feature is , eg: dam , village , building , monument  , bridge , etc ...  with hundreds of searches conducted to date I have always been successful in getting a Lat/Long .

(2) Google earth move to desired part of the world , zoom in on feature of interest , get it's Lat/Long .

Cheers Karol

@Otrman

To post an image in Avsim:

1. Upload an image file you screen captured and saved to Dropbox.com
2. From Dropbox.com right click the uploaded file and copy the link
3. Create a new post in Avsim and paste the link in the new post.
4. Manually edit the link like so:
     http://whatever ....?dl=0
          ---to---
     http://whateve ....?raw=1
5. Finally, review and submit your post after the edit.

Btw, I used to develop a self-documenting terminal program in a past life when Bill Gates was still a teeny bopper.  One unforgettable customer called to thank me for the program (these were complicated protocol heavy text based programs). I asked him why he liked the program. His reply:  I'm 85 years old and don't have f* time to read manuals! 🙂

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1