Sign in to follow this  
Guest henkb

2 free utilities that increased my fps greatly!

Guest possum

>Guys, I am trying this winMem optimizer... BUT when I am in>the sim and I leave winMem opened (minimized) it kicks in>every 10mins and minimizes my FSX :( Does anyone know how to>get around this?>>Thanks so much>Tim :)Go to the configuration tab and uncheck the auto optimize box. Also I have the same problem with antivirus not restarting without a reboot. I use Microsoft Live Onecare. It says the service was stopped, even when I set the program to leave services running.

HiWell fanny enough for me worked the other way around. Before I used them I was getting at Heathrow airport (ready to take off on the runway) 13 cockpit view and 17 spot view. After using Smart close and Winem otimizer I got 11.5 and 14 respectively! Strange thing with these PCs. Stelios

Stelios Christofides

I put a picture of whats left on mine above. These close programs allow you to customize what you want to leave running so if you are more comfortable leaving your virus program/joystick drivers going you can do that.

Guest Vigilius

I try to use Wincleaner memory optimizer and I see my first bluescreen of death in a five years old install of XP PRO!!!!!Finally I see how it is done ;-)

Hi,I tried the memory optimizer and got an error message:MEM MGR out of bounds. Sent report to Microsoft thing.Anybody else get an error message using it?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hummmm. I tried that here, being I try anything once, but it didn't seem to do much for me. Actually, it made the overall performance worse on my box. Not framerate wise, they were about the same, but using both of those programs gave my sim the severestutters on approach to Hobby in a quicky test..IE: I used my startup flight which is the baron atHouston Southwest. In the tests, I'd check the ratesat startup, and then takeoff on runway 9, and turn north to pass over Houston, and then intercept the ILSfor Hobby 12R. The first test running both of thoseprograms, all was ok at first I thought, but when landing at Hobby, I got some real bad stutters when approaching the runway. This had never really happenedbefore on my box. As a 2nd test, I rebooted, and then ran in my normalfashion doing a manual shutdown of all visable programs, but not worrying about any hidden processes running. I then ran the same flight, and had a smooth approachinto Hobby with no stutters. So dunno... My sim ran better without using that stuff.But... I'm still gonna keep them both and tinker with them.I need to test to see which of those programs caused the stutters. I don't know if it was from the near totalshutdown of running programs, or from clearing all the ram, and making the sim have to reload more for some reason.MK

Guest ifcollins

I tried these two utilities and SmartClose gave me an increase of about 8-10 fps in FSX, great I thought, then tried to access my CD-Rom & DVD RW drives and the drivers had gone missing or become corrupt, no access to the drives at all, re-booted, nothing, the only way to get them back was to restore XP to the previous days restore point. Shame.Ian

Guest smithcorp

The memory optimiser worked well for me - an increase of 5 fps from just one pass. Recommended.

Many thanks Geofa. The two utilities made a world of difference for me. Now I can enjoy FSX .. at last !!. FPS shot up from early twenties to mid thirties with most settings on high.Kind regardsRobertSouth AfricaAMD 3000+ AthlonXFX 6800 PCI-E 256Mb2GB DDR Hynix

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

>The memory optimiser worked well for me - an increase of 5>fps from just one pass. Recommended.There's a great little utility called "Stop SRV" which is a bat file and stops if not all, then all the unimportant windows services. It's part of a Battle of Britain2 patch and works better, I find, than Smart Close. I can send it to anyone, if that is, it's okay by the Battle of Britain people, either that or I can upload it, or you could of course download the patch and open it with a zip utility and just get it from there.

Guest Phil75070

>The memory optimiser worked well for me - an increase of 5>fps from just one pass. Recommended.I am getting a good 5-7 fps more with the memory optimizer and that is without closing down any programs or services, and I am even moving the scenery and traffic sliders at least one or two notches right. I am now getting about 30fps where I had to compromise to get 20-24.AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+2 Gig RAM7600 GS