Sign in to follow this  

Takeoff video jackson hole in Baron

Guest Adverse Yawn

Beautiful! I'm just a little green with evny :) I would love to take the cub and find somewhere safe to put down near that lake for a spot of fishing! Well, I like to think I would/could :)We just don't have a comparable wilderness in the UK. In fact you would be hard pushed to find somewhere to stand and not see something man made. One quick question. My instructor would lambast me if I raised the gear in the Seneca with usable runway still remaining. However, I usually fly from an aerodrome alt of around 500'. I guess at your aerodrome alt you don't want to hang about, it is best to get some good speed ASAP lest one engine can't haul you back up the drag curve.Green with envy I am.

Well the airport altitude at JAC is 6451, rwy length 6300' and with the density altitude that day (if I recall around 85 f) the accelerate stop distance is about 5000 ft. for the Baron-landing distance at least 2000' .I don't think where the gear goes up on the video is unreasonable .........It is beautiful flying out in the west of the US!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

>>We just don't have a comparable wilderness in the UK. In fact>you would be hard pushed to find somewhere to stand and not>see something man made. >>Green with envy I am.For the record, my wife and I really enjoyed London and the surrounding scenery back in 1985. We like visiting places with a long history!I'm throwing in a few pics I've took, of the "wild west". These are from the Utah, USA area. Ranging 10 miles from Salt Lake City (where I live), to about 300 miles. All within in a day's GA plane ride.Pics are reduced for easy download, and sooner than not, I'll set up some kind of pic web site, once I figure it out. L.Adamson

The first day I flew with a friend in his RV9A; we were just going to to go around the pattern a few times at Skypark, near SLC, then decided to go to Evanston Wyoming for some cheaper fuel. It was clouded in, so we ended up going to Afton Wyoming (where they build the Aviat Husky's and Pitts), but it was semi cloudy too. Then flew over to Jackson Hole, but hadn't checked for TFR's to see if Vice President Cheney was in town; so we kept 30 miles away, but got a good look at the Tetons.This was just one of those day's of flying "without" a flight plan of any kind. :D , but would make calls from fuel stops, so at least someone would have an idea of where we were. In the next few weeks, we made many of these cross country flights over some very rugged mountain and desert country with no real advanced planning, and on a whim. I actually enjoyed it this way. Had a nice panel mounted color moving map GPS, two axis auto-pilot, sectional charts, and cell phones for these cross country adventures.L.Adamson

Guest Adverse Yawn

>>I don't think where the gear goes up on the video is unreasonableI did try to word to avoid comming acorss like that. I don't mean to sound unreasonable although upon a second reading it does come acorss as critical. Not my intention at all, just an genuine question. Apologies.

Guest Adverse Yawn

Wow! Second thought is: not many forced landing options!

Guest DNelson

Nice! I think I've mentioned that Ogden is my home base, lived there for 25 years now. You probably flew over about four places that I've lived, including the canyon east of Ogden. A Victor airway (too lazy to look up the number right now) goes right down that canyon.I've always thought that the view on short final to rwy 3 (or even better, rwy 7) could be used in an instrument training course. A very good example of why you should have the missed approach memorized before starting the approach. Climbing straight ahead or turning right is definitely not recommended!

I was on that victor airway-v6 I think it is?The landing in Ogden was memorable-not only for the beauty of the Salt lake and the way the clouds, sky, and lake all blended together-but right after being given the intercept for the ils approach-the tower called and said they were closing-"we are out of here" were their words. (I've never had that happen!) . Immediately, it became an uncontrolled airport-and all kinds of announcements on different runways started-I think there was even a parachute drop. Anyway-interesting-and the scenery was spectacular!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg