Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

German site Computerbase did a review on the VR mode of MSFS.

tldr:; verdict: MS made a bad job with the VR implementation but wth the hardware generation after the next generation we may have the proper equipment unless MS will optimize their engine...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2F2021-02%2Fmicrosoft-flight-simulator-vr-benchmarks-test%2F

• Like 2

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

These people apparently have no idea what they are doing....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've just started playing around in VR

I have a Ryzen 5950X paired with an EVGA 3090. I have the Steam Index setup and a Pimax 8k headset. I'm getting a stable 23-24 fps with the 8k headset and the sim runs very smooth, very little if any stuttering. It runs so smooth, I was surprised when I learned that my fps was that low, the sim feels like I'm getting 40 frames. Visuals are amazing, 3d effects are breath taking, the depth perception is out of this world. Very difficult to go back to a standard monitor. Everything is running at stock with no overclocking. Because of the smoothness I'm quite satisfied. Here's hoping some more optimizations will improve performance.

• Like 3

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Just at a glance on some of their settings, they're approaching MSFS like a shooter based game.  Shouldn't be running motion reprojection in OpenXR.

There is a ton of optimization that needs to be done, but my experiences (stop looking at FPS and make it feel smooth....) is really good, and won't go back to 2D world again for flight.  I hope folks don't use that article as the basis of decisions whether to jump to VR or not.

• Upvote 1

OK, sorry if this test does not represent the real status. I"m no expert in VR but felt that this did mirror my own experience which is not the best one  as well.  I need to admit tough that my hardware (Ryzen 2600, GTX 1080, Quest 2) is not optimal for VR. 

Still I think MS needs to work on the out of box experience and some optimizations would help to attract more gamers to VR

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

Just now, chatman said:

I need to admit tough that my hardware (Ryzen 2600, GTX 1080, Quest 2) is not optimal for VR. 

A 3090 will *just* get you a good experience in VR, so I can imagine anyone using lesser hardware will have a rough and discouraging time. 

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

A 3090 will *just* get you a good experience in VR, so I can imagine anyone using lesser hardware will have a rough and discouraging time. 

It depends, largely, on what, and where you fly. I have a mediocre system, centred around an i7 and a GTX1080ti. I fly ultralights out in the sticks, and have a glorious time. I wouldn’t dare use anything beefier than a Cessna, because then the dialling down process begins. I’m lucky that my passion lies at the less demanding end of the scale. But I don’t think everyone is in for a rough and discouraging time. Only those who like to fly “large” need to be wary. VR is more than capable for low and slow.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I'm having a blast in VR with a 2070Super...sure it could be better but it's perfectly useable now.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

For those not having acceptable performance in VR using less powerful hardware, check out VR Flight Sim Guy on YouTube.

Even when he recently got himself a very powerful PC, his previous PC was far from a beast. Still, he was able to enjoy VR in MSFS very much using the HP Reverb G2 (as well as some other HMDs).

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

On 2/13/2021 at 8:06 AM, MarcG said:

I'm having a blast in VR with a 2070Super...sure it could be better but it's perfectly useable now.

I am assuming you are using default planes without any community patches?  In my experience, with the default and with my HW (2080 Super) the experience is barely sufficient.  Once the community patches are applied to the G1000, G3000 etc.  It's a stuttering slide show.  Until this sim got further than beautiful scenery, I will put it in the hangar for now.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

11 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

I am assuming you are using default planes without any community patches?  In my experience, with the default and with my HW (2080 Super) the experience is barely sufficient.  Once the community patches are applied to the G1000, G3000 etc.  It's a stuttering slide show.  Until this sim got further than beautiful scenery, I will put it in the hangar for now.

When VR Flight Sim Guy on YouTube was able to run it with great results using a 1080 Ti and a 8600K IIRC, it feels weird why you would get a "stuttering slide show". Maybe what is causing it is not your hardware or MSFS but how you have it setup when it comes to settings both in MSFS as well as in WMR, OpenXR or whatever software you use depending on what HMD you have.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest you go check his YouTube channel out for some great advice how to set things up for the best result. Who knows, maybe you won't need to put MSFS in the hangar after all 🙂

Richard Åsberg

As another advice, go to the VR section of the official forum. There's a series of instructions by "CptLucky8" (from RealityXP fame) which I drew a lot of benefit from. He doesn't restrict to a set of settings but also gives explanations what the various parameters actually do and how they influence performance.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

A 11gb 1080Ti is is still on the same performance level as a 2080ti.

People greatly underestimate it because its an older 10 series card.

Its in no way outdated and still spanks the 2070S and 2080 in most situations.

Also importantly it probably has the most ironed out effective stable drivers, unlike the 3k series for now.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

28 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

A 11gb 1080Ti is is still on the same performance level as a 2080ti

I used to have a 1080Ti which I later replaced with a 2080 Ti.

In X-Plane back then, the performance increase and the ability to use higher settings were very noticeable.

Richard Åsberg

9 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

I'm using community mods of planes and working title Garmin updates.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)