Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Random Failure

Guest GA Flyer

Why does ACES continue to overlook/not add the ability to have random failures without setting yourself up for them. I use FSFailure in FS9 which allows for random failures based on time and probability. There are a few other addons like this.We picked up some great new failures like oil leak, engine fire, oil pressure witch work great in Missions but in free flight you know if it might happen and when.I hope someone is creating a utitily for these new failures based on an unknown random or because of conditions but hate the fact that we couldnt just get them as default instead via an addon.

>Why does ACES continue to overlook/not add the ability to>have random failures without setting yourself up for them. I>use FSFailure in FS9 which allows for random failures based on>time and probability. There are a few other addons like>this.>>We picked up some great new failures like oil leak, engine>fire, oil pressure witch work great in Missions but in free>flight you know if it might happen and when.>>I hope someone is creating a utitily for these new failures>based on an unknown random or because of conditions but hate>the fact that we couldnt just get them as default instead via>an addon.A couple of us have been looking into this for FSX. I have a random failure generator, but a couple of the failures haven't worked correctly. I've been in contact with some of the guys at ACES, and they are taking a look at it. Hopefully I'll have something up soon.Right now, it's just a checkbox that says "Enable Failures" and if so, you get a random chance of one or more failures during your flight.Would you like more options than that, for example, including and excluding systems you want/don't want to fail?

Guest Captain Behrentzs

It would be great if it worked like FSPassengers..If you do anything wrong, it results in a failure. It would be better than if the failures came when you didn't do anything wrong, but just came because u enabled em. And btw, think it would be cool with only ONE checkbox :(---------------------------------------Kasper BehrentzsDenmarkhttp://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4853/bannerigifru8.gifALL NEWS FROM FSX COLLECTED AT ONE PLACE!MY SITE, http://www.xflightx.piczo.com

Guest GA Flyer

Have you ever used FSFailure? It was a freeware utility for FS2002 but also worked for FS9. The way it worked was you could enable many systems that you wanted to have the chance to fail then set the probability level and triggers. Example would be comm radio had a 1 in 4000 chance every 60 seconds to fail if the airspeed was higher then 30kts. All the numbers in the last sentence were customizeable. You could also set triggers I believe in alt instead of airspeed.Very basic and worked great. As a matter of fact you could a system fail that would cause the engine to cut off (in a piston plane) but if youkept moving the mixture it would run so you had to nurse it to a landing. All the time puttering away.Very true that other payware app's like FSPassenager (and FSMaintenance before it) where failure happen due to true causes would be the way to go but for freeware just to have a randomizer where any failure could happen at any time would be better than nothing.Glad to hear you and others are working on it.

Setting up random failures in simming is fine by me. But on the other hand, I wouldn't bug Aces as using it as a realism feature. Look at it this way, if you were out piloting the real plane, would you want the failure rate to be any where close to what you want it in the sim? I would hope not, as I'd rather fly for years and years without a failure; or at least maintain the aircraft in a condition to lessen the chance of failure rates, even though you never know for sure, when somethings going to happen.L.Adamson

Thats great to hear, I would like just a simple system that allows you to choose a percentage of chance that any of the Aircraft systems could fail during the current session (even very mild failures).It just gives me a real reason to need to check instruments and systems pre, during and post flights. It's annoying to me knowing when I fly nothing could fail unless I made it.

Guest GA Flyer

Agreed. The idea of a random failure just makes you stay more attentive to your gauges and cross checks in the sim, but if you have to select them to fail then your looking for it and thats far from real- mostly.I use FSFailure in FS9 and have radios and gauges set to fail with a lower probability then the engine. So probably one in 30 flights I loss an airspeed gauge or ADF radio. I still can land safely. I would love to have an oil leak in FS9 as a failure but its new to FSX. Heck I couldn't even tell you when was the last time I ever even looked at the oil gauge. Or for that matter the amp, volts, temp gauges as well. Since they are always perfect.

I am hoping this is where missions will shine. I hope some company will come out with a series of "real life" mission emergencies based on real ones experienced by others (I have a whole bunch I could contribute). Kinda like the story at the back of Flying magazine every month. This way, the failure can be unpredictable, and go in a chain which requires choices which can increase/decrease the pucker factor.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I think the answer here is a combination of just a check box to turn on random failures that may or may not fire, or an advanced dialog to personalize the probability of a specific system failing.Once I finish the PFD I'm making, I'll start on this one.

Guest GA Flyer

That sounds great! Thanks Brian.