Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

no red anti-collision lights?

how many airplanes dont have red anti-collision lights? I have noticed a few with white lights but no red. is this allowed, and what types have it? Does the 1900c and/or c also have no red beacon lights?Thanks

Guest Adverse Yawn

Most PA28s only have strobes and no beacon. Anti-cols can be red or what flahsing lights. There are allowaces in the rules permitting anti-cols lights to remain off when they may cause a distraction. In an afflicted PA28 I never put the anti-cols on until lining up.

Thanks for the response! Very interesting, I thought they had to all have red beacons.

Guest Adverse Yawn

The text from the UK ANO (by and large, the rules don't diverge too much from ICAO):

Guest P3_Super_Bee

C-12(Beech 200) only have whites, the C-12J(B1900C) only has whites as well.P-3's have white & red. Use white during the day and red at night. We also have a weight on wheels switch that when the aircraft has weight on wheels, if whites are selected they change to red, and the bottom light is de-activated. Our P-3C AIP aircraft also have Infra-Red anti-smash lights as well, they are used when don't want the "bad guys" to see you, but still want the "good guys" to be able to see you.http://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpg

Guest RiddlePilot

> (:( subject an outside observer to unreasonable dazzle.Thats too funny. I'm not exactly sure how that translates into American English, but for us, the only time we use the word dazzle is to describe a fancy play in sports. eg.: "Oh man! That was a razzle dazzle play."

Guest Adverse Yawn

LOL! Hey, maybe the airlaw guy did mean we should applaud and holla, but only to a reasonable level mind :D

In the United States:According to Federal Aviation Regulations, besides the red, green, and white position lights, at least one anti-collision light is required for night flight under current certification requirements. Basically, the light must be either aviation red or aviation white and can be in the form of a rotating, flashing, or oscillating beacon or a strobe. The anti- collision light cannot be mounted so as to "impair the flight crewmembers' vision or detract from the conspicuity of the position lights...." The anti-collision light must also cover a field of view 75 degrees above and below the aircraft's horizontal axis.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I believe we use the word "blind". But dazzle sounds so much more colorful. I know we generally don't turn the strobes or landing light on at night until cleared to take-off because of the fact it can send a poor pilot back to day vision and send him back on the 30 minute rhodopsin (spelling?) build up. I remember preflighting the aircraft on my first night flight with my instructor and he politely told me where he'd shove my flashlight if I shined it in his eyes before the flight. :-lol----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach