Sign in to follow this  
joe cooper

what to take out of community folder?

I never remove anything, not really needed. Maybe some add-ons will not work just after the update, but you never know in advance. I sometimes remove only the aircraft mods (like the WT CJ4, the G1000 and G3000) and it would be wise to remove the mapamundi's coastlines and spikes corrections if you have them. Anyway, you'll have to put them back to try them out after every update.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 3

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

8 minutes ago, edpatino said:

I never remove anything, not really needed. Maybe some add-ons will not work just after the update, but you never know in advance. I sometimes remove only the aircraft mods (like the WT CJ4, the G1000 and G3000) and it would be wise to remove the mapamundi's coastlines and spikes corrections if you have them. Anyway, you'll have to put them back to try them out after every update.

Cheers, Ed

Are you kidding I thought this update was suppose to fix spikes they said they would be fixed in early January

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, Denwagg said:

Are you kidding I thought this update was suppose to fix spikes they said they would be fixed in early January

Not really, that's why I think it's maybe wise to remove the mapamundi's corrections, just in case they're not needed anymore after the upcoming update.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

What I meant was hopefully we will not need mapamundi's fixes anymore. If the spikes and the CTD's cause by the CGL files are not fixed then we are left with the spikes and no way to remove them.

What are the chances they get both problems fixed. Based on previous history I doubt it.

Regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, Denwagg said:

What I meant was hopefully we will not need mapamundi's fixes anymore. If the spikes and the CTD's cause by the CGL files are not fixed then we are left with the spikes and no way to remove them.

What are the chances they get both problems fixed. Based on previous history I doubt it.

Regards

I'm not sure to tell, but I've flown in Europe (Italy and France) since yesterday with no CTDs. Maybe MS/Asobo did something in the background to correct the issue already with the BING data.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

2 hours ago, joe cooper said:

Have been adding new mods and airports since the last update. What items should be removed before crash Tuesday comming up??

If you have a fair number of addons and mods in your community folder, I (and many others, I'm sure) highly recommend that you install the Addons Linker (available here: https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker). It will take a bit of time to do the initial setup, but once done it will make it extremely easy to add and remove addons and mods if and when needed.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Nothing, at no point does MSFS manipulate any file in this directory.  However, there is guarantee that anything in there may or may not work correctly after the update.

• Like 3

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I'm not sure to tell, but I've flown in Europe (Italy and France) since yesterday with no CTDs. Maybe MS/Asobo did something in the background to correct the issue already with the BING data.

Cheers, Ed

Issue still occurs with add on airports with a CGL file.   There is a workaround or 2 - (remove CGL folder or turn off Bing data and rolling cache if you use one) but the issue still occurs.

49 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Nothing, at no point does MSFS manipulate any file in this directory.  However, there is guarantee that anything in there may or may not work correctly after the update.

In my experience, I cannot access the Marketplace, I cannot update my marketplace purchases with files in the Community folder.  So for some reason, I think the updater reads files in Community folder.  I use addon Linker...and just disable all addons (sym links) and update, and re-enable.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, marcg11 said:

Issue still occurs with add on airports with a CGL file.   There is a workaround or 2 - (remove CGL folder or turn off Bing data and rolling cache if you use one) but the issue still occurs.

Does it still happen to you at any particular location or everywhere?. I should have hundreds of airports with cgl files and didn't have a CTD with Bing data ON.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

I think it's easier to rename the Community folder, say Community_org, create a new Community folder, run the update when it's released and then you can move back into the Community folder every addon as you choose.

Edited by YMMB
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, joe cooper said:

Have been adding new mods and airports since the last update. What items should be removed before crash Tuesday comming up??

I always remove everything before an update, then test the sim to see where add-ons are still needed and put them back.

In general, to avoid issues and speed up the loading time, I keep only the add-ons I'm gonna use. It's pointless to keep Iceland overhaul if I plan to fly in Italy, etc.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5