Sign in to follow this  
snpower

Control Jitter - Logitech Throttle Quadrant

Very slight but constant; it's significant enough that I cannot use autothrottles. I've re-calibrated several times; new Xplane user so not the most familiar with the interface. I do not have this issue in P3D.

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

Probably needs a clean on the pots, it'll almost certainly be dust on the contact track, you can give them a blast with compressed air. In extremely worn cases, a bit of WD40 can help to revive worn out potentiometer tracks a bit, but it sounds like yours just need a blast of air. If you have an airbrush and compressor, that'll do the trick, if not, an aerosol of compressed air and the little straw you attach to it should be able to get at the offending parts. This sort of thing.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Probably needs a clean on the pots, it'll almost certainly be dust on the contact track, you can give them a blast with compressed air. In extremely worn cases, a bit of WD40 can help to revive worn out potentiometer tracks a bit, but it sounds like yours just need a blast of air. If you have an airbrush and compressor, that'll do the trick, if not, an aerosol of compressed air and the little straw you attach to it should be able to get at the offending parts. This sort of thing.

Great tip. Marginally improved by using compressed air in the channels, then taking the back cover off and spraying contact cleaner down where the pots are located. Am I going to have to disassemble the entire thing to get it back to 100% or should I just keep soaking the pot areas?

https://imgur.com/a/aOFif2S

Edited by snpower

I'd say if you were confident you can take it apart and get it back together again in order to clean it out, then you'd probably see some benefit from doing so, but how much of a further improvement is debatable; you might just be able to get away with assigning a bit of a wider null zone in the controller options for the sim, and I'd be inclined to try that first, since it's less effort.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So I saw a post about editing the joystick preferences file but nowhere else do I see options for changing the null zone settings.

Logitech (or former Saitek) quadrant has issue with pots, they are tiny-tiny and give spikes. Best results could be obtained by opening the unit and cleaning them with contact cleaner and swab. Opening the unit is not very complicated, just there are many screws to remove.My personal issue has been wires, they  break away from soldering points of pots and circuit board very easily. Sometimes I felt that connections snapped due to  looking them, then had to solder them back multiple times. So maybe cleaning took 1/3 of time and soldering 2/3. Surely this quadrant was bought 2013, maybe now wires are better?