Sign in to follow this  
terhi

FSX AI Aircraft vs FS9 AI Aircraft

Could some knowledgeable person please explain the difference between an AI aircraft which is FSX compliant and an FS9 Aircraft which is FSX compatible i.e., one which seems to run fine in FSX but was built for FS9. For example, WOAI aircraft are mainly FSX Compatible (please correct me if I'm wrong) but which are supplied with an FSX compliant installer.Then one periodically comes across the claim that an AI aircraft has been updated for FSX i.e., it appears to have something different about it which qualifies it to be FSX compliant.Can anyone shed any light here ? Has anyone ever come across an AI Aircraft with textures in dds format? (apart from those used by MS in the base FSX package)

Dave,You need to separate your thinking between AI aircraft and automated installers.First, WOAI uses installers that are compatible with both FS9 and FSX. You need to have this compatibility so that the installer can place the aircraft and flight plans in the correct folder. That goes for other developers using an automated installer too. It has nothing to do with the aircraft or flight plans themselves. Note: Because we don't yet have the tools to make flight plans in FSX, you just use the FPs from FS9 and you accomplish all your development of FPs in FS9 and then move them over to FSX.Second, (for the most part) AI aircraft design is not specific to a particular version of FS. This may not apply to really old AI aircraft but I have not found a single AI aircraft in my system from FS9 that didn't work in FSX. I have more than 300 aircraft types in my system including PAI, AIA, EVOL, FSP, SAM, and others. I also have helicopters and float planes. Not one of my aircraft have caused FSX to crash because it was incompatible with the software. Of course by this time I've weeded out all the AI aircraft that caused FS9 to expire so that may be the reason FSX doesn't crash.So, barring the use of old AI aircraft, you can use just about any FS9 AI aircraft in FSX.fb

Thank you fb, but you don't quite understand my question.If I may quote from the MyTraffic X advertising:... " 154+ Aircraft Models - From Boeing to Yakolevs and Cessnas to Embraers, MyTraffic includes them all. All models are created with GMAX optimized for high frame rates even at very busy airports. Most of these aircrafts have been overworked in GMAX specially for FSX, to remove display errors as well as to increase performance beyond the one offered by Microsoft stock planes. Bringing realistic AI traffic to all parts of the world, MyTraffic can be oftenly observed to provide better performance even with more aircrafts around you than FSX stock AI traffic. " ...There is obviously something different if models which were FS9 compliant had to be "overworked especially for FSX".My question is not about the MyTraffic aircraft per se, but rather a more general question as to what makes an FSX-compliant AI aircraft different from an FS9-compliant AI Aircraft? As a side comment about MyTraffic-X, while the actual aircraft are not as beautiful as some of the later FSP or Aardvark FS9 models, the MyTraffic aircraft have been so well optimized for minimal system resource usage that one can have a VERY busy airport in FSX with very little impact on frame rates. Burkhard Renk has done a superb job balancing optical quality with performance.And please, I don't have any connections with the MyTraffic people and I don't have shares in their business ;-)

No, I understood your question perfectly. As I said before, the aircraft they are advertising are the very same aircraft that were in FS9 - there is no difference. Note: I am not talking about default FS9 aircraft. I'm talking about models from PAI, AIA, EVOL, and the like. These models were already designed to be frame-rate friendly. MyTraffic had no part in the design of these aircraft. Remember, advertising is an amazing thing - often not relevent to anything.The only thing that MIGHT be different are the settings in the aircraft.cfg file. There may have been some "fiddling" with aircraft configurations - touch points and such - so that the aircraft don't do things like sink into the ground on some sceneries.As far as the MyTraffic people optimizing aircraft design - all I can say is "BS." The models they use are the very same ones you and I can download from the AVSIM site.fb

Guest baksteen33

>>The only thing that MIGHT be different are the settings in the aircraft.cfg file. There may have been some "fiddling" with aircraft configurations - touch points and such - so that the aircraft don't do things like sink into the ground on some sceneries.As far as the MyTraffic people optimizing aircraft design - all I can say is "BS." The models they use are the very same ones you and I can download from the AVSIM site.<< Hi fb, with all due respect, this is simply not true. You might want to take a closer look before making wild assumptions? I can send you an mdl if you like. ;-) Kind regards Jaap

Hello fb,I am very familiar with AI Aircraft from AIA, EvolveAI etc. I have also studied quite a number of the MyTraffic-X models because I enjoy repainting AI models. I can assure you that they are definitely not even vaguely similar to those "mainstream" downloadable FS9 AI aircraft on AVSIM that I have come across.Please, can you do me a favour and post some AVSIM filenames here of those AI Models that are the same as the MyTraffic-X models that you mention which are freely available for download. I sure haven't come across any - but then I suppose I'm just getting old :-) Maybe there are some paintkits available for those models that can save repainters of MyTraffic models a boatload of time.

Guest baksteen33

Hi Dave, please check out the MyTraffic forum. Burkhard will be glad to give you all the information you like about paintkits etc. http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=4a@ fb, about the models and in addition to my previous post, upto ca 2 years ago many models were indeed PAI. In the mean time the vast majority were replaced. Maybe there's still a handfull of PAI-AC there? I don't have the exact figures. So, in the past your statement would have obviously been correct. Sorry for not mentioning this in my previous reply. Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest yarvelling

To side-step the MyTraffic argument for a moment; I have noticed that with some of the WoAI aircraft, FSX optimisations include fixing some texture errors that showed up when using FS9 AI in FSX; errors such as textures just not showing on certain aircraft. I would get EasyJet A319's with black engine pylons and black undercarriage...once they were made FSX compatible, then the correct textures were back in place :)Perhaps these were the types of optimisations that were reffered to by the MyTraffic developers....

Guest Ozzie

>Hello fb,>I am very familiar with AI Aircraft from AIA, EvolveAI etc. I>have also studied quite a number of the MyTraffic-X models>because I enjoy repainting AI models. I can assure you that>they are definitely not even vaguely similar to those>"mainstream" downloadable FS9 AI aircraft on AVSIM that I have>come across.>>Please, can you do me a favour and post some AVSIM filenames>here of those AI Models that are the same as the MyTraffic-X>models that you mention which are freely available for>download. >I sure haven't come across any - but then I suppose I'm just>getting old :-) >Maybe there are some paintkits available for those models that>can save repainters of MyTraffic models a boatload of time.Hmmm! - maybe it is just me getting a little older and slightly more cynicalIt's maybe a bit like believing that McDonalds is a Health Food Restaurant (IF you believe the advertising) - or even that they actually care about kids and NOT ProfitsIt seems a little odd to me that you should 1st ask a question and THEN challenge the answer that you are givenI MUST be getting old - such cynicism? - sorry I just think this is another McDonalds Ad

Ozzie,You said: " It seems a little odd to me that you should 1st ask a question and THEN challenge the answer that you are given "If you look at the original question, you will see that it wasn't actually answered :- instead the thread digressed elsewhere :-)