Sign in to follow this  
Rene_Feijen

VR and second monitor

I am running FS2020 in VR and connected a second monitor to my pc on which I display Little Navmap. I don't mind taking of the headset now and then to use the second monitor, but:

when I run in VR, Little Navmap disappears from the second monitor.

Is there a way to run the second monitor while also using VR?

• Like 1

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

1 hour ago, Rene_Feijen said:

I am running FS2020 in VR and connected a second monitor to my pc on which I display Little Navmap. I don't mind taking of the headset now and then to use the second monitor, but:

when I run in VR, Little Navmap disappears from the second monitor.

Is there a way to run the second monitor while also using VR?

I don't know but why would you worry about anything not showing on the second monitor that you can't see anyway while wearing your VR headset? If you want to see the little navmap when you take your VR headset off, switch out of VR mode and it should be back where it was.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

If I want to consult LittleNavMap I do not bother to take off the VR headset.

With the G2 and WMR I can pause the simulation, exit VR mode and select the Desktop in the WMR Portal and view the LittleNavMap. With VoiceAttack commands for pause/resume and mode changes I do not need a keyboard.

With Oculus it is even easier. The Oculus toolbar allows you to bring up a 2d image of any running window while in VR

I find that a lot easier than taking off the VR headset, getting up from my sim cockpit and going over to the desk.

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

I would like it to run on a second monitor so when switching to 2D mode I can continue flying while looking on the map in Little Navmap.

Of course it would be better if I could do that from within the VR cockpit.

A week ago I managed to get some other things from outside FS2020 in the cockpit: I had a WMR portal pot and plant in my cockpit!

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

I'm not familiar with the nav map, but maybe you could bring it's window into the VR headset as a floating VR window while flying (place it over passenger seat), by opening it in the cliffhouse / home portal and clicking the "follow me" button on the top window bar?

I've brought browser windows and youtube tutes in while flying

Edited by dogmanbird

Ah yes, I think I accidentally let the plant follow me. Will try a window instead. Will search how to bring a window in Home Portal.

The problem with "follow me" is that the resolution of the floating window is reduced so it is hard to read text.

Resolution is not a big problem, but I have a bigger problem.

When I put Navmap on second monitor and try to put in in the floating window my mouse disappears. I can get the mouse back with Win Y buth then Navmap minimizes and I cant get it on screen again. Really frustrating.

I did get a Desktop view in the follow-me modus, but then I saw in the cockpit the window of the first monitor, picturing.... my cockpit (2 times).

Edited by Rene_Feijen

10 hours ago, lenidcamper said:

The problem with "follow me" is that the resolution of the floating window is reduced so it is hard to read text.

Reduce the resolution of your monitor. Then this will make the text and everything to appear bigger in the virtual window. Worked for me 

I also have a second monitor for viewing nav maps and temps and stuff. My problem is I can't use my mouse on the second monitor until I exit vr, I can in P3d and X-Plane. Inconvenient to say the least. I yes, I can look at a screen while in vr, I just raise my googles a bit and use my eyes to look at the monitor, been doing it for years without issue.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

I think the floating window is below the vr window. i'm pretty sure i had to keep dragging downward to get to it

Pff it is really difficult. Now I do have a spare computer, so I will try to set it up just for Navmap and run that via my LAN. I had that working some time in the past, so probably will work now too.

What I managed to do is Follow Me but that did the entire desktop instead of just one window. So I will try that out (new day, new energy!).

4 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

desktop instead of just one window

It is possible to launch LittleNavMap in its own follow-me VR window which is a better size than the Desktop window (there is still a minimum resize limit), but unfortunately it does not respond properly to mouse pan or zoom.