Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

sound problem (unexplained volume drops)

Hi,

I have a strange issue with the sim sounds. When i start the Sim (P3D4.5) , sound is ok but if i use ATC the sound is almost completely muted and stay muted. Any idea? Many thanks

Real Deraps

56 minutes ago, Lmaire said:

Hi,

I have a strange issue with the sim sounds. When i start the Sim (P3D4.5) , sound is ok but if i use ATC the sound is almost completely muted and stay muted. Any idea? Many thanks

Yes, many of us are having the same issue.

it’s a windows issue that needs to resolved.

cheers

mike

That's possible, I updated windows yesterday and i have this issue since. Thanks

Real Deraps

I had the same problem in 5.1. Mine seems to be fixed by going to:

- Sound Settings;

- Sound Control Panel;

- Go to communication bar;

- Select 'Do Nothing'

• Upvote 2

Daniel

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC | CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D  | Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 | Motherboard : Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX | Win : 11.

18 minutes ago, pommy80 said:

I had the same problem in 5.1. Mine seems to be fixed by going to:

- Sound Settings;

- Sound Control Panel;

- Go to communication bar;

- Select 'Do Nothing'

Thank you very much. Problem fixed.😊

• Like 1

Real Deraps

I have an another old issue (for 6 months i'd say) which it's not related with flightsim. It's also begun after a windows update. I'm unable to put my monitor in save screen mode. I've tried many things but i still have to turn it off each time i don't use it. Would you also have a solution for this issue? Thanks again.

Edited by Lmaire

Real Deraps

Let's not hijack this thread with another unrelated topic, please.

The Microsoft term for the sound volume reduction bug feature is "audio ducking".  For most folks, the aforementioned Communications setting on the Control Panel Sounds page will solve the problem.  And then there's the rest of us...

I also started having this problem after the last Microsoft malware attack update a few days ago, and that communications setting had already been in place for some time.  Further research and black-belt level Google-Fu led me to some suggestions that it can also be potentially cured by updating/reinstalling sound drivers (I switched to a completely different audio device and drivers, and still had the problem--so at least in my case that wasn't it), updating/reinstalling mouse and/or keyboard drivers, or with addition of a registry key:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Audio"   REG_DWORD   UserDuckingPreference   0x03 

I had three consecutive flights where the first keyboard interaction after starting the sim (a menu option for Radar Contact running on a remote PC) immediately triggered the ducking audio problem.  You can tell it's Windows ducking with you if you press "Q" once to mute the audio and then again, and the audio momentarily starts at normal volume and immediately and quickly (over maybe a half second) tapers back down to the reduced level.  I uninstalled and reinstalled my Logitech G_Hub software (3rd party mouse/keyboard drivers) and added that registry key, and so far things seem to have returned to normal, though I've just done a couple medium-length sessions since, so it may still be a bit early to declare victory.

• Like 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I solved my problem in P3D going to my p3d sound settings and changing from the default Windows option (which was working fine till now) to my laptop speakers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

The Microsoft term for the sound volume reduction bug feature is "audio ducking".  For most folks, the aforementioned Communications setting on the Control Panel Sounds page will solve the problem.  And then there's the rest of us...

I also started having this problem after the last Microsoft malware attack update a few days ago, and that communications setting had already been in place for some time.  Further research and black-belt level Google-Fu led me to some suggestions that it can also be potentially cured by updating/reinstalling sound drivers (I switched to a completely different audio device and drivers, and still had the problem--so at least in my case that wasn't it), updating/reinstalling mouse and/or keyboard drivers, or with addition of a registry key:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Audio"   REG_DWORD   UserDuckingPreference   0x03 

I had three consecutive flights where the first keyboard interaction after starting the sim (a menu option for Radar Contact running on a remote PC) immediately triggered the ducking audio problem.  You can tell it's Windows ducking with you if you press "Q" once to mute the audio and then again, and the audio momentarily starts at normal volume and immediately and quickly (over maybe a half second) tapers back down to the reduced level.  I uninstalled and reinstalled my Logitech G_Hub software (3rd party mouse/keyboard drivers) and added that registry key, and so far things seem to have returned to normal, though I've just done a couple medium-length sessions since, so it may still be a bit early to declare victory.

Now this is interesting. I read you post earlier, and thought it was going to solve my problem as I had already checked that "do nothing" was set in comms options.

No joy. I already have that registry key set the way you show it.

I still have the problem. Well, sorta. It comes and goes. Was fine for a long time and just reappeared out of nowhere about a week and a half ago. I use this PC for a lot of other things, and something changes on it on a daily basis, so I'm always chasing some oddball thing down somewhere. Good thing I like that sort of thing. 

Mouse & Keyboard you say? I did install the MS Mouse and Keyboard center on 2/4... I wonder.... The only reason I installed it was to get a pop up for the num lock and caps lock keys.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

Wil have to give this a try. Thank you!

Microsoft is pathetic!!!! 

cheers 

mike

As part of this process I also noticed (and disabled) a large number of programs I don't use and didn't even know were there, much less running, set to run in the background, like Skype, Microsoft YourPhone, Candy Crush etc.  Could be that one of the unwanted programs (particularly one of the comm programs) is overriding the ducking setting.  Perhaps disabling them in Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps might solve the ducking problem and un-duck your system.  It's really a ducking pain in the butt.

One other suggestion was to select a lower audio sampling rate...e.g. 44100 16-bit (CD quality) vice HD 48000 24-bit sound.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Well, I wish I could report continued success, but it happened again this morning...PMDG 748 at RKSI, as soon as I pressed the first key on my keyboard I got the audio ducking.  This time I right-clicked on my sound control in the task bar, selected the mixer, and muted/unmuted P3D, and didn't have any more issues during the flight.

I reported it to Microsoft via the "Feedback hub" for what that's worth.

The two Windows updates that installed just before this reared its ugly head were KB4601319 and KB4601050.

Your communications settings haven't been reset, possibly? When Windows re-enumerates audio devices, sometimes it seems to think an existing device is entirely new and may set defaults. 

It is annoying and perplexing indeed, because changing that setting is supposed to basically disable ducking altogether. Certainly once I found the setting, I've not had the problem again. Even when Windows decides that the disabled HDMI audio devices in my monitors are new devices and re-enables them.

KB4601319 has been found to cause problems with web cams and other devices for some people, though: 

Microsoft admits Windows 10 KB4601319 issue, promises fix (windowslatest.com)

KB4601050 is a fix for a DDOS vulnerability:

CVE-2021-24111 - Security Update Guide - Microsoft - .NET Framework Denial of Service Vulnerability

I agree it's pretty tiresome 😞

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

37 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

Your communications settings haven't been reset, possibly? When Windows re-enumerates audio devices, sometimes it seems to think an existing device is entirely new and may set defaults. 

It is annoying and perplexing indeed, because changing that setting is supposed to basically disable ducking altogether. Certainly once I found the setting, I've not had the problem again. Even when Windows decides that the disabled HDMI audio devices in my monitors are new devices and re-enables them.

No, that was the first thing I checked after a couple occurrences of the problem convinced me this wasn't just some aberrant glitch.

KB4601319 listed changes related to security for mouse and keyboard inputs...given how my problem is mostly (apparently) triggered by keyboard inputs, that makes me think this is the culprit.

I'm going to try rolling back KB4601319.

I have the same problem, however, using the "do nothing" tweak works for me - BUT - I apparently need to re-do that every windows startup. It'll already have that option if you previously set it, but I uncheck and recheck it, and so far........knock on wood, it's working (while not a pretty workaround - not a criticism of Daniel at all).

Cheers,

Pete 

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11