Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Cliffs of mohar, was Ireland really updated ?

According to everything i see the update is for UK&Ireland. I don't understand how after such an update, the most iconic landmark in Ireland, The cliffs of mohar, looks simply horrible as it looked on first release.

Roi Ben

There are two updates actually : the largest upgrading the existing general content (about 22 GB) and a smaller one (4-odd GB) dedicated to the Uk+IR. Got both ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, Dominique_K said:

There are two updates actually : the largest upgrading the existing general content (about 22 GB) and a smaller one (4-odd GB) dedicated to the Uk+IR. Got both ?

Yes i did. The almost 5gb in-game download with all the airports and content.

Roi Ben

40 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

According to everything i see the update is for UK&Ireland. I don't understand how after such an update, the most iconic landmark in Ireland, The cliffs of mohar, looks simply horrible as it looked on first release.

I agree. Ireland got shortchanged in this update. They have the white cliffs of Dover modelled yet the cliffs of Moher look pretty much the same as before.

Dublin received only 1 landmark and not a very visible one from the sky. No Poolbeg chimney stacks or spire, nevermind the Aviva or Croke Park. 

It's a bit insulting for Asobo to call it a UK and Ireland update when it's really just a UK update. I like what they did with the UK but think it's a bit of a let down for Irish simmers or those who like flying there.

• Like 1

Maybe they had problems getting the Republic scenery over the border - you know - Brexit and all that! :smile:

Seriously though, I have toured Ireland a few times and it could have done with a bit more content. 
I believe they may have done the Killarney area. 
I did the loop once, and I think I stopped at somewhere called Ladies View - spectacular!   I will take a look over there tonight.

They say this is only a first pass for the counties they have done up to now, and they will revisit them, but that could take years for them to come around again.
I think third party content creators will do a good job over the coming years - Probably down to them.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

FWIW I flew Derry/Eglinton to Belfast City last night along the Antrim coast and it looked gorgeous.  With that said I hadn’t been there pre-patch so I don’t know how much changed, but it certainly matched my memories of the area and the coastlines/cliffs were striking.  

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The addition of Ireland was indeed just an afterthought.

I remember Jörg talking about it in one of the Q&A's that they got their hands on good DEM for Ireland and that is the reason why they added it to the UK update.

6 hours ago, regis9 said:

FWIW I flew Derry/Eglinton to Belfast City last night along the Antrim coast and it looked gorgeous.  With that said I hadn’t been there pre-patch so I don’t know how much changed, but it certainly matched my memories of the area and the coastlines/cliffs were striking.  

I'm not sure much has changed post-patch, perhaps just terrain mesh. The obvious omission is the Giant's Causeway which is still just a flat, featureless strip of blurred satellite imagery. It was an obvious candidate for custom modelling, considering it has both tourist and geological significance. The visitor centre is still represented by generic buildings which is to be expected if they didn't bother with the Causeway itself.

Co-ordinates: 55.240833, -6.511667

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

I'm not sure much has changed post-patch, perhaps just terrain mesh. The obvious omission is the Giant's Causeway which is still just a flat, featureless strip of blurred satellite imagery

The mesh certainly looked great.  Agreed on Giant’s Causeway, I think I was able to pick it out but certainly not obvious in it’s 2D form.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I couldn't agree more! I honestly thought at the very minimum the cliffs of Moher would be done!  Oh well, I bet within 6 months, some wonderful human will terraform it and share it for us all to enjoy (going by the incredible rate of mods being uploaded each day from all over the world).

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

1 hour ago, TOGA-saurus said:

I couldn't agree more! I honestly thought at the very minimum the cliffs of Moher would be done!  Oh well, I bet within 6 months, some wonderful human will terraform it and share it for us all to enjoy (going by the incredible rate of mods being uploaded each day from all over the world).

Yeah I visited there in 2019 and went looking for it when the sim released.  The walkway with the tower up the hill is literally halfway down the cliffs in the sim.  Or at least it was.  I haven't checked with the new terrain mesh since yesterday.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro