Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Random CTDs when switching between VR<->2D

I've been having a number of CTDs mid-air when switching between VR<->2D. As always, CTDs are probably one of the worst thing for us flight simmers. Ending a flight that way when you maybe spent an hour or more in the air is never fun as we all know.

I'm not presented by any error message or anything like that. Instead, MSFS simply closes (crashes) in a split second and next, I'm sitting on my desktop. Checking the Application log in Windows Event Viewer though, I see this error message after each crash. Always the same module/DLL.

Anyone else seen this or even better, found a cure for it?

I'm on a fully up to date Windows 10, Nvidia 461.40 (I've also tried with 457.30 with same result) and MSFS 1.13.16.0.

This is the error message I see:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: PerceptionDevice.dll_unloaded, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x24cb77e5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000012f0f
Faulting process id: 0x4e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7059455789f87
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: PerceptionDevice.dll
Report Id: 479237f6-84ea-440a-ab6f-92e73e3316a7
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Richard Åsberg

What Headset are you using? Heard this first time, never had this kind of CTD with my setup (see below)

I had a number of CTD's at the same offset with Reverb G2 and WMR

Have not been able to determine a fault scenario

I have some other popular offsets

0x0000000001245abb

0x0000000001e0fd8b

Twelve instances in the past week

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm using an HP Reverb G2 as well. So that makes sense when you say you've seen the same problem @lenidcamper also using an HP Reverb G2. I'm still a bit puzzled though there seems to be so little information to be found about this when searching for it. Based on how popular the HP Reverb G2 is with what I assume is a quite large userbase by now when it's been out for quite some time.

Really annoying and takes away a big portion of the fun using VR in MSFS when you're always scared you'll land on your desktop rather than at your planned destination.

Let's hope it will be addressed sooner rather than later by some WMR or Windows update or whatever might be required. Looking at the file referenced, it's a MS file as seen here

zbSCXaL.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Hi WebMaximus, I have a G2 also and had lots of trouble with it initially.  Like the well known errors of 1-4, 1-8, 7-14 etc. which seemed solved for me by reverting to a september display driver (AMD). I never had the Perception Device.dll error though, but I assume it is related to some driver issue. I guess you checked all that. If not, disconnect the HMD and uninstall the G2 via Settings. Also check the USB drivers for your MB and maybe try another display driver. Hope you get it sorted soon, Lastly, you are uptodate with W10?

@Gerwil

Thanks for the input!

Yes, it's tempting to think it's related to the display driver but as mentioned, I've already tried different versions with the same result.

As for USB drivers as well as all other motherboard drivers, I'm fully up to date. Same thing with Windows.

The notorious WMR error codes such as 7-14 which probably is the most common one, I see that maybe 2-3 times out of 10 when I start/restart my PC. Quickly fixed though by simply disconnecting the G2 and reconnect it.

I'm not so sure this is something I can fix myself. I still think it needs to be addressed by either MS or Nvidia. Most likely MS since it's a core MS (Windows) DLL always causing the CTDs.

Richard Åsberg

I have never experienced a CTD while switching back and forth from VR to 2D and this is the first I have heard of this particular CTD.   I also have the G2.  Might be a driver issue.

The only CTD I am experiencing on a regulars base now, is when flying the Fly By Wire A320nx, only when in VR, and only when pressing one of the button in the overhead. Usually happens when I turn off the APU, or Blead air.  I don't have any CTD when flying in 2D or with any other plane in 3D. Only with the A320Nx and only in VR. Strange and very disappointing, as its currently the main aircraft I want to fly in MSFS.

I agree, very frustrating after spending time setting up everything and CTD. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

What I'm thinking is if maybe the issue I described over here is related to these CTDs as well. Reason for me thinking that is how switching between 2D and VR is associated with the sound effect your hear when entering and leaving the WMR home.

Really odd and annoying and even more so when you don't really have a clue where to look for the actual culprit. I guess knowing what exactly this PerceptionDevice.dll does could maybe give a clue. When I've searched for information about that file, the results don't say anything to me.

At this time, I don't really know how to proceed. I guess I'll just have to accept these CTDs for the time being and avoid switching between 2D and VR unless I really have to. And hope future updates of WMR, Windows or any other drivers that might be related will eventually fix the issue.

Richard Åsberg

Had a CTD today when switching from VR to 2D (first time it did this). I use a Rift-S as headset. nVidia drivers 451.48.

I do not use WMR or SteamVR, just the Oculus software. Different dll though:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: CoherentUIGT.dll, version: 2.9.5.0, time stamp: 0x5fc6aa59
Fault offset: 0x000000000013f1c3
Faulting process ID: 0x2a28
Faulting application start time: 0x01d70676edd4a3ae
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\CoherentUIGT.dll
Report ID: 4b2f8085-08fd-49c0-99c4-fd536f38caf9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Sorry to hear that but thanks for adding your info in here. The more info in one place, the better.

However, in this case where you're using both different hardware and software to run VR in MSFS, it's probably not related.

Richard Åsberg

Or maybe it is since it never happened before the update. Now, after the latest update, the second time i switch... BANG.

And then i read your post...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Just got anther 2D<=> VR  CTD

Faulting module name: CoherentUIGT.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fc6aa59
Fault offset: 0x000000000013f1c3
Faulting process id: 0x3554
Faulting application start time: 0x01d706eb3fe74ee3
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\CoherentUIGT.dll
Report Id: 1b4052d4-0516-4064-89bc-5782f90677a7

This was after a two hours flight with a dozen switches back and forth between 2D and VR

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

Not sure if these issues are related but as mentioned and linked in one of my posts above, I've also had a CTD issue for a long time where I need to stop the Windows Audio service before I launch MSFS. Then I can restart the service once MSFS has loaded.

Now someone discovered, updating Windows to 21H1 solved that CTD problem. Maybe it might solve this kind of CTD issues as well. I didn't think it was released yet but from what I've found after just doing a quick search, it was released 2 days ago. It doesn't show up over here though when I search for Windows updates.

Here's the post where I read about this

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-on-launch-caused-by-ucrtbase-dll-with-exception-code-c0000005/340406/91?u=webmaxxximus

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

Guest SteveO

Yes, I did find the issue but its not the root of the issue. If I empty my Community folder no more crashing when I exit VR to my monitor.

Hope this helps.

When you reboot your PC, please try unplugging the G2 first, then exit the WMR portal, then shut down & restart the PC.   (Just unplugging the power block is fine; no need to futz around with displayport etc).  

Allow the PC to restart, then plug in the G2.  Wait for WMR home portal to start, then ‘clear environment settings’ and recalibrate your room ‘position’.  Did you hear static noise when the portal started up & plays the soundbyte?  If so, you may want to check for Win updates or re-install the WMR /G2 drivers.  

Remove / disable add-ons that you may recently have added to MSFS, Then try it & see if this solves the issue.  

The WMR portal has recently been updated by MS - I am on Win 11.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating