Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

P3Dv5 performance gain and VRAM

Hello folks,

I got V5 last week and with the same settings as V4.5, I have not observed a noticeable performance gain as the vast majority of V5 users.

Then I read about the VRAM.

My system: i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K Monitor @165 Hz G-Sync - Win10 x64

1. Noob question: I know that my GTX has 8 Gb of memory. Is that the VRAM?

2. If so, I have the minimum VRAM required?

3. And finally, does the VRAM has an influence on:

a) Crashs/stability?
b) Performance/fluidity?
c) Both?

- TONY -

5 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Hello folks,

I got V5 last week and with the same settings as V4.5, I have not observed a noticeable performance gain as the vast majority of V5 users.

My system: i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K Monitor @165 Hz G-Sync - Win10 x64

a) Crashs/stability?
b) Performance/fluidity?
c) Both?

Yes, your VRAM is your Video Random Access Memory on your video card.

P3D v5 uses Direct X-12.  I am no expert on the VRAM, but from what I have gathered, Direct x-12 processes memory differently and more efficiently. But does not monitor if you are getting close to your max video ram on your graphic's card. So if you crank up the settings, and use complex scenery, airplanes, you can easily exceed your video ram. When that happens, P3D will CTD with an OOM error.

My setup, my VRAM runs around 9-10Gb's when running P3D, (my video card has 11GbVRAM) and if I don't start my WMR for VR and P3D in a certain order, I will OOM before the sim loads completely. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Hello folks,

a) Crashs/stability?
b) Performance/fluidity?
c) Both?

Your 8GB VRAM should be plenty together with an HD/2K (1920x1080) monitor. 

I think the bulk of the performance gains in v5 are seen with use of DX12 at higher resolutions---1440p and especially 4K.  And when running DX12 and heavy graphics hitters like EA and multiple layers of HD clouds at those higher resolutions, 8GB VRAM can become a limiting factor.

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Hello folks,

a) Crashs/stability?
b) Performance/fluidity?
c) Both?

Since others have already answered your questions I will just add maybe look at it a different way. You may be able to turn up more eye candy in V5 with out having a big hit to performance. However I will caution you to monitor your Vram usage carefully. Use to much and it will let you know by a crash to desktop CTD.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

You also might not have any VRAM issues at all which isn't unheard of.

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I am running V5.1 with an NVIDIA 1660ti. It has only 6 gigs of ram...but, I can run comfortably at around 4gigs in use out of an available 5.1 with my card. Create the settings that are visually and performance pleasing to you. If you happen to overrun your ram, dial back settings until you find your comfort zone. 5.1 is a terrific sim and though I delayed upgrading from 4.5, I am more than pleased with the profound differences I am seeing in performance and appearance. 

btw, the EA setting is very controversial. I went back and forth until finally deciding that I like it, even with its garish dawn and dusk colors. I hope LM will correct that in a future HF. Otherwise, I am using ASP3D WITH ASCA, plus Envshade... Here are a couple of shots taken on a recent flight in NZ. The aircraft BTW is a DC3 I fly for my VA www.dc3airways.net...new pilots always welcome

7nW9b1c.jpg

JYtQTEC.jpg

Sherm

My PC is a couple of years old now and I have 8gb of VRAM of on a GTX1070, of which 7.1gb seems to be available when all is running well.  I've recently read that it's important to have the latest version of Windows, otherwise that 7.1gb will only be 6.5gb.  I don't know if that's true but it can't do any harm to update.

The video card is definitely the weak link in my machine but to upgrade the video card I'd also need a bigger PSU, so I'll leave that until I upgrade the whole machine.

I have ORBX, including the higher detail UK and Norway regions, GSX and ASP3D.  I run Alpha India AI traffic at about 50-60%.  Once you start on payware airports, you can't stop, so I never use a default one. I fly the PMDG NGXu in 3840 x 2160 resolution.  I have the P3D frame rate unlimited but a 30fps limit in nVidia Control Panel.  I get very close to a steady 30fps in most situations and rarely see it dip below 25fps even momentarily.  

Typically, that uses 4 point something of the 7.1gb available, occasionally going just over 5.1gb on approach when your windscreen is full of scenery and payware airport.

BUT you have to be realistic about sliders.  I don't have anything pushed above a "medium"  position.  Taking EA Cloud Resolution up to High from Medium for example is another 0.5gb right away and if you then add in bad weather then you're always close to a VRAM crash.  If you start cranking on the reflections, cloud resolutions and water detail, you're a goner.

I'm sure others get much better results from newer machines and I'll probably update in 6 months time aiming for a 3080 10gb as a minimum or even a 3090.  Who knows, there may even be some in the shops then!

In the meantime, you can make V5.1 work on a low spec if you are careful, but as always, you get what you pay for.

Edited by ailchim
Additional info
  • Like 2

ngxu_banner.png

18 hours ago, rickjake said:

P3D v5 uses Direct X-12.  I am no expert on the VRAM, but from what I have gathered, Direct x-12 processes memory differently and more efficiently. But does not monitor if you are getting close to your max video ram on your graphic's card. So if you crank up the settings, and use complex scenery, airplanes, you can easily exceed your video ram. When that happens, P3D will CTD with an OOM error.

I don't know where you are getting this patently false information, but you should question that source.

One of the major advantages to DX12 Video API is that is allows the application to manage VRAM instead of the OS and changes to Win10 in early 2020 gave it a full capability compatible with the video driver and the OS.  Prepar3D v5.1 takes advantage of this capability to manage VRAM.  It will adjust to cases where VRAM allocation is high and you will never exceed the VRAM capacity.  Not even DX11 and earlier would result in OOM errors if you exceed VRAM because the NVidia driver will simply start using the system drive as a cache for the overflow and the result is a slideshow not an OOM.  I've seen this happen in P3Dv4.5 to me with 11GB VRAM.

If you use the Shift+Z shortcut to display the frame rate you'll notice in P3Dv5 that is also displays the amount of VRAM used and the amount that it has available.  If you have 8GB the available will be less because the video driver needs work space.  My 11GB card runs about 9.3GB available (from memory) and normal allocation in heavy scenery areas runs up to 6GB.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

59 minutes ago, downscc said:

I don't know where you are getting this patently false information, but you should question that source.

One of the major advantages to DX12 Video API is that is allows the application to manage VRAM instead of the OS and changes to Win10 in early 2020 gave it a full capability compatible with the video driver and the OS.  Prepar3D v5.1 takes advantage of this capability to manage VRAM.  It will adjust to cases where VRAM allocation is high and you will never exceed the VRAM capacity.  Not even DX11 and earlier would result in OOM errors if you exceed VRAM because the NVidia driver will simply start using the system drive as a cache for the overflow and the result is a slideshow not an OOM.  I've seen this happen in P3Dv4.5 to me with 11GB VRAM.

If you use the Shift+Z shortcut to display the frame rate you'll notice in P3Dv5 that is also displays the amount of VRAM used and the amount that it has available.  If you have 8GB the available will be less because the video driver needs work space.  My 11GB card runs about 9.3GB available (from memory) and normal allocation in heavy scenery areas runs up to 6GB.

I’m not sure about that. I’ve oom’d with 16gb Vram in v5. With lots of addons, high settings, full aigaim AI and heavy weather with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak it’s easily done.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

4 hours ago, shermank said:

btw, the EA setting is very controversial. I went back and forth until finally deciding that I like it, even with its garish dawn and dusk colors. I hope LM will correct that in a future HF. Otherwise, I am using ASP3D WITH ASCA, plus Envshade... Here are a couple of shots taken on a recent flight in NZ. The aircraft BTW is a DC3 I fly for my VA www.dc3airways.net...new pilots always welcome

Sherm

Hey Sherm -- if EA is on, and you are using ASP3D, ASCA is automatically disabled by AS. So if you use EA 100% of the time, you may want to stop loading it to save some resources. See https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/asp3d-asca-enhanced-atmospherics-on-v5-1-hf1.13353/#post-59989

Edited by pgde
  • Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I can really recommend the V5 settings guide from RD Presets! It really helped me tune my setup perfectly

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pgde said:

Hey Sherm -- if EA is on, and you are using ASP3D, ASCA is automatically disabled by AS. So if you use EA 100% of the time, you may want to stop loading it to save some resources. See https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/asp3d-asca-enhanced-atmospherics-on-v5-1-hf1.13353/#post-59989

you are right about that....I had completely forgotten. Thanks for the tip and heads up....btw, that explains why in envdir, I cannot activate the ASCA slider to on. It is greyed out..

Sherm

Edited by shermank

Not to worry. I imagine Hifi has encountered this question a lot! Here is a prediction (so take it with that in mind) that when(ever) the issues in EA get resolved, there will be an ASCA 2.0 that enhances dynamic clouds. I imagine behind the scenes ASCA 2.0 will be a complete rewrite. If that is true, I wouldn't mind paying an upgrade fee. In fact, to support any developer that sticks with P3D, I wouldn't mind paying an upgrade fee so they stay in the game. 

Remember as one of the MSFS selling point was that there would be no need for add-ons? 

Have a great weekend!

P.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I agree, pg....I paid for the AS upgrade, well worth it, not to mention the discount for being a previous owner of the older version. I hope what you are saying is true for ASCA....both are terrific programs...

sherm