Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

ATC voice FSX multiplayer session tonight!

That's certainly true... For most MP sessions, I would expect there to be only one or maybe two controllers, and you really need two to handle just gnd/twr and approach/departure (let alone clearance delivery and Center). The organization at the first link I provided may get to a point where they have enough guys to provide a limited amount of inter-airport coverage, but that's going to a take a lot of dedication and coordination of the tower controller guys.In theory that's where VATSIM comes in; I messed around with it a couple three years ago but it was far too complex in terms of the software you had to run, etc. and there is still no real guarantee that the various "seat" will be covered for a full inter-airport flight. Plus it's very geared to heavy/airliner ops, which I'm not really into.(I get the impression that the coverage is far better if you fly in Europe on VATSIM.)So for the time being I see the value/fun of the new MP capabilities in FS-X as being in local ops - pattern work, instrument approach procedures, etc. and I personally have only flown helicopters VFR in these sessions so far, which limits what I can do and how fast I can go 8^) . What I might typically do is start off at an airport not too far from the one that has a manned tower and maybe approach, and then report in when I'm 10 miles out. What I want to do next is the instrument approach aspect, which means I'll have to strap on a Baron or something!---Side note to the reply about why I can't save my Gamespy password - thanks much for taking the time to explain it. You're right that's lame, but such is the world we live in I guess (sad). (But I must confess that I hope someone figures out a way around this!)cheers,dB.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

>I find the password ones intimidating too and look for the>middle ground also! I've been heading the shared cockpit route>more. I enjoy taking people flying in scenic places I have>been, and visa versa....>>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgOk, update on this:I found a great little server with a controller in Arlanda airport, which I think is near Stockholm. I just sat at a gate in my Maule for a while, listening to the back and forth, and when I decided that this guy was running a good show without being terribly strict about protocol and format, I requested taxi for VFR, took off from runway 01L and took a leisurely flight around the area. It gave me a great opportunity to listen to the procedure of someone who is controlling an area and keeping it moving with out totally CONTROLLING the area. If someone spawned in on the active, he'd ask what their intentions were, remind them that they were on the active runway and clear them for takeoffs. It was a very smooth operation, unfortunately, just as I was approaching to get slotted in for a landing on runway 26, I realized that I didn't have time to complete it and had to drop out. But it was definitely a good middle of the road server.If anyone else has or knows of a server like this, my gamespy id is NotASenator as well, so if you see me online, yell and I'm come fly with you.

Guest Ichinin

Thanks! :)(Server is called "Sweden/Stockholm")I am currently learning how to do ATC myself so i am not very strict. After all, the server is listed as FF - "Free Flight" and not "Formation Flying", and computergames (including sims) are for fun. When a game becomes a job it is time to quit playing.I have learned alot by logging onto other peoples servers and listening in on their conversation. I was at the Miamy Intl and Heathrow servers earlier. Those had quite good ATC's. Sometimes i had guest ATC's on Stockholm too which sounded VERY professional.Then there are some people who are not so serious who fly around and do not check their mike level or have permanent talk (caps lock) pushed down, but everyone must start learning somewhere...

>Thanks! :)>>(Server is called "Sweden/Stockholm")>>I am currently learning how to do ATC myself so i am not very>strict. After all, the server is listed as FF - "Free Flight">and not "Formation Flying", and computergames (including sims)>are for fun. When a game becomes a job it is time to quit>playing.>>I have learned alot by logging onto other peoples servers and>listening in on their conversation. I was at the Miamy Intl>and Heathrow servers earlier. Those had quite good ATC's.>Sometimes i had guest ATC's on Stockholm too which sounded>VERY professional.>>Then there are some people who are not so serious who fly>around and do not check their mike level or have permanent>talk (caps lock) pushed down, but everyone must start learning>somewhere...>Hey, I know I flew on your server too tonight, but I think I got kicked off at one point and hopped on the other one in that area. Both were really good.

I've got to say I was a bit reluctant to try multiplayer because of some experience I had with VATSIM in FS9. I remember reading the membership details before joining, and it was so complicated it just turned me off.But FSX MP is something else altogether, and I've got to agree with Dave, MS have really got it right. It's dead easy to join, and while you may be apprehensive about fumbling radio procedures, relax, it doesn't have to be so formal. For example I joined a session which was hosted by an Extra flyer departing from KGCN not far from the Grand Canyon. I was thinking here's a good opportunity to do some sight seeing, so I joined the session and waited for the flight to load. But when the flight started I was surprised to find that it was pitch dark, because it was night and there were not even any runway lights, or taxiways since KGCN has a gravel runway. Anyhow there were about half adozen Extras buzzing through the darkness, their mics were active but no-one wanted to talk about it because they just wanted to enjoy flying.Some sessions are, of course, very formal, but the whole project is so young that it's really not going to matter much if you stuff it up once in a while. Just think what it's going to be like several months down the track when a lot more guys are doing it, and everyone is getting better at dealing with ATC this way. It's almost revolutionary!So give it a go, I'm sure you'll be impressed. The only caveat is that you'll need broadband at least, and a microphone headset, but I got one of them for just $20 and it works fine.Good luck, and I'll see you out there.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I'd love to try it out, but all I get is "unknown error 02000007" whenever I try to log on.

Guest frontman22

>I'd love to try it out, but all I get is "unknown error>02000007" whenever I try to log on.>>me too

Guest frontman22

if you didnt recongize the seerver is down since the power outage killed seattle. I am an experienced pilot and also i work in the tower for fsx. So If anyone starts an intl or any descent size airport i will work ground or air.

> if you didnt recongize the seerver is down since the power>outage killed seattle. I am an experienced pilot and also i>work in the tower for fsx. So If anyone starts an intl or any>descent size airport i will work ground or air.Anybody got anything running right now?

I have had a session running on GameSpy for about two days called "Testes123" that I put up so that a friend that wants to do some shared cockpit stuff can verify that things are working. It's still up... I'm not manning the tower or anything and it's password protected but it has not gone down at any time since I started it night before last.Dave Blevins

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

>I have had a session running on GameSpy for about two days>called "Testes123" that I put up so that a friend that wants>to do some shared cockpit stuff can verify that things are>working. It's still up... I'm not manning the tower or>anything and it's password protected but it has not gone down>at any time since I started it night before last.>>Dave BlevinsTechnically, once you get past the match making phase, gamespy has nothing to do with it. So your server would still be running and all that, just no one would be able to see it.

I am so glad that you guys are participating in the forums now. So many mysteries are solved in a single post 8^) .My session is now visible again via GameSpy, BTW, and I haven't touched it for two days.Question - someone posted that "the servers are down in Seattle due to a power failure" or something like that - which is what me led to believe that there is a hosting aspect to FS-X MP sessions that Microsoft has a part in. But then, GameSpy is a totally separate entity from MS (I think) so I don't understand how a Seattle power failure could impact GameSpy... Please 'splain it to me.cheers,dB.

>I am so glad that you guys are participating in the forums>now. So many mysteries are solved in a single post 8^) .>>My session is now visible again via GameSpy, BTW, and I>haven't touched it for two days.>>Question - someone posted that "the servers are down in>Seattle due to a power failure" or something like that - which>is what me led to believe that there is a hosting aspect to>FS-X MP sessions that Microsoft has a part in. But then,>GameSpy is a totally separate entity from MS (I think) so I>don't understand how a Seattle power failure could impact>GameSpy... Please 'splain it to me.>>cheers,>>dB.From my understanding of the process, when you see the Gamespy powered in-game browser, that is just licensed technology, an API used to place a pre-built matchmaking service into your game, running off your own server. When you use a program like Gamespy Arena, it is connecting to the Gamespy servers, probably in their HQ in Brisbane, CA.So, in this case, the Gamespy multiplayer SDK is used to integrate an existing software solution into the UI, and they just point that to a tracking server in Redmond or wherever.