Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Thrustmaster Airbus throttle uneven at idle - only MSFS

Maybe one for the hardware forum, but I thought I'd try the main one first as it's only happening in MSFS. Probably been there from the start but only noticed it when i glanced at the throttle on screen recently.

My TCA Airbus throttle behaves fine except for one instance - when the two throttle levers are sitting at idle, in the cockpit, the left lever is somewhere between 0% and perhaps 7% (that it itself I need to work out a fix for), whilst the right lever will always be around 7-12% higher. At any other setting on the physical throttle, the sim throttles will be matched, i.e. both at 10%, 20% etc. Even in reverse thrust, they match, so it's only at idle there is a problem. I've even used the screwdriver bar used for calibration to link them so that they move together - still the same issue. It doesn't happen in FSX:SE - the throttles move together correctly. 

The difference doesn't seem to affect my flying noticeably but perhaps I'm just compensating, but ground handling is probably slightly more twitchy than it needs to be, I'd imagine. And with the new floaty/STO characteristics some planes have now developed, I sometimes find my plane veering off course after rotating. Perhaps unconnected, I won't know until I can solve this issue.

I've only used the Thrustmaster calibration instructions (moving to different detents and pressing the appropriate buttons). Anything else I should try?

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Nobody else experienced this or have a possible solution?

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Up to now I have only used it with the TBM with interconnected throttles. Next time I start the sim I will have a look in MSFS control settings.

2 hours ago, Gerwil said:

Up to now I have only used it with the TBM with interconnected throttles. Next time I start the sim I will have a look in MSFS control settings.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Robin29 said:

Increase the dead zone a few %

i could give that a go, but since the levers are a t different points at idle, isn't there a risk I'll just have the same problem but with more delay between idle and positive thrust?

Ok I checked my throttle and it seems both levers align well. I maybe not the best to go by, the detents are off and the axis moves linear, which works best for the TBM. Also I did not calibrate per the TM instructions, in fact I didn't calibrate at all. I always, like I do with all my flightsim peripherals, move all the axes to their full extent before flight. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks @AntillesFlyer, that explained my sudden full flaps.

• Like 1

When I just saw the TM instruction video about how to calibrate,I thought that maybe it is better to not use the screw driver to connect the throttles. This could force one of the throttles to be a little high or low in the detent, or below full throttle, or above idle.

Edited by Gerwil

2 hours ago, AntillesFlyer said:

Theirs a huge thread on this at mfs2020 with work arounds on it. 

Holy bleep, that's going to take a while to trawl through! Thanks (I think!😄)

29 minutes ago, Gerwil said:

Ok I checked my throttle and it seems both levers align well....

Thanks for checking.👍

24 minutes ago, Gerwil said:

When I just saw the TM instruction video about how to calibrate,I thought that maybe it is better to not use the screw driver to connect the throttles. This could force one of the throttles to be a little high or low in the detent, or below full throttle, or above idle.

I only tried the calibration after I'd noticed the problem, so I shouldn't think that will have been an issue for me.

Progress! Having set Neutral to 40% Left and  38% Right, both throttle levers show as 0% thrust at idle. FLX/MCT travels a few millimetres past the indent on the on-screen quadrant. Not sure that can be fixed at the same time as having the correct idle setting, unless I haven't read far enough through the official forum thread linked to above, but I can live with that. Having tested it with the default A320, the only issue was that, having come in way too high after a Seattle Tacoma circuit my plane started floating off to the right on touchdown before veering madly to the left as I tried to compensate. Had I recorded that, it would have made one crazy video to watch back! I hope that was down to my steep approach and the floating bug rather than another issue with the TCA.

Correcting the throttle now seems to show up that my Logitech Pro pedals are 'off-centre' as I'm, pulling to the right, not just on landing but after taking off! With clear skies, I am banking to the right. I don't believe this is just the prop rotation as it happens with twin engines too. Time to install the optional driver update that Windows Update thinks is due, before I try to troubleshoot the latest issue.

Edited by 109Sqn
typo